Red Krill Oil

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
gorilla monsoon

Red Krill Oil

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:16 am

Being on the wrong side of 50, having managed through a broken back and finding-out a few months ago just how much arthritis I actually have in my joints (thanks, doc!) I have "discovered" red krill oil.
I have been taking regular fish oil capsules for a long time (see paragraph above for the explanations) and thought about the red krill just for convenience - one 1000mg capsule a day instead of six fish oils (dose strength forgotten).
Here's the thing: since I started taking it on Saturday I have noticed a remarkable drop in the pain levels in my knees (always a problem for me) and a lessening of the pain in my hips. Lower back pain has also dropped a little and my general overall vitality is up. And the only change to lifestyle or diet is the red krill.
Could be coincidence, I know, but it will be interesting to monitor over the next month.
Anyone else using it and what are your observations?

(DISCLAIMER: I am not associated with the manufacture, marketing or retailing of red krill oil, I paid full retail price at the chemist and I don't even know which brand I bought, only the capsule strength.)
Not my circus, not my monkeys

moosterbounce

Re: Red Krill Oil

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:10 pm

I look forward to an update on these. I'm currently taking 1 concentrated fish oil tablet (Swisse) and have the big dog on 6 x 1000mg tabs. I don't know if mine help me, but his mean the difference between being on pain killers and anti inflammatories daily and not needing them 99% of the time. My parents are on 6 x 1000mg each per day and mum has been able to stop taking brufen after 20 years!!

When I saw e red krill out, it intrigued me but I had a surplus supply of the others so haven't yet tried them out. I might wait for your update first :) and then pass the info onto my olds.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:04 am

When I last had an accident, I was put on fish-oil tablets when I was recovering. I'll be honest - I didn't notice much benefit taking heaps of those huge tablets.

But what did help me was Glucosamine/Chondroitin tablets. I only had to take one per day and it really worked to relieve the knee pain I had.

I'll keep an eye on here in case I need to try those sorts of things in future (I hope not).

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:19 am

g-boaf wrote:When I last had an accident, I was put on fish-oil tablets when I was recovering. I'll be honest - I didn't notice much benefit taking heaps of those huge tablets.
I've tried them too - the only effect they had was to give me the fishy burps. :oops:
g-boaf wrote:But what did help me was Glucosamine/Chondroitin tablets.
Tried those as well, but they didn't help either :|
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:45 am

RonK wrote:
g-boaf wrote:When I last had an accident, I was put on fish-oil tablets when I was recovering. I'll be honest - I didn't notice much benefit taking heaps of those huge tablets.
I've tried them too - the only effect they had was to give me the fishy burps. :oops:
g-boaf wrote:But what did help me was Glucosamine/Chondroitin tablets.
Tried those as well, but they didn't help either :|
Yeah, fish oil does that when you take a lot. Unfortunate side-effect. :oops:

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:06 am

When you supplement with FIsh oil, it comes down to EPA and DHA amounts.

Krill oil is expensive, and I wouldnt bother with it when fish oil can do the job, you can get ultra concetrate fish oil tabs for around 20 bucks. I think you get like 60 days, but I usually do 2 AM 2 PM so 4 a day.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

petie

Postby petie » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:10 pm

There aren't enough krill in the ocean to feed the whales and other sea creatures, take fish oil instead, we can farm them.

Sent from my MB526

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:19 pm

It's my knees!!!!

Rough Cartligde on right knee, little pain now. Left knee, doc says fine, brain says not, bit sharp for muscular. Off bike for a week or so until I can get a bike fitment appointment. They won't look at you if your carrying injury as it will change how you naturally hold yourself apparently and will result in a bad fit.

Chemist Warehouse has BIOGLAN Red Krill (200mg) and Glucosamine (750mg) on special $18.99 for 60 tabs.
2 per day with meal, will start at lunchtime today.... Keep you posted.

Not affiliated with BIOGLAN or Chemist Warehouse in any way. 8)

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Well, I've been taking the Red Krill for well over a month now and not only is it effective, it is also convenient.

Pain levels in back, hips and knees are at a more tolerable level than they were on the fish oil and I take one tab a day instead of six. In the several weeks since my original post I have spent a couple of days tracking elephants in the Cambodian jungle, swimming, walking heaps, climbing around the ruined temples around Siem Reap and sitting for ages in uncomfortabhle aeroplane seats.

So yes, I am now a red krill convert. As for the claim about a shortage or krill, general consensus seems to be that antarctic krill is the world's biggest biomass and us and the whales can get along just fine.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Ive been taking 1000mg of Swisse krill oil for about 6 months and its been a god send. I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and normally I get pain in the mornings in my feet, wrists and hands. Since taking 2 capsules a day, the pain levels have dropped dramatically. It's no cure, but it certainly helps with quality of life and just gives my body a boost. Have ordered some 1500mg krill oil capsules recently and will be keen on seeing if they will improve my situation more so.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:20 pm

Yes, the pain doesn't go away entirely but it is way more controllable and beats the bejesus out of taking prescription drugs that kill liver and kidneys.
Good luck rpm.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:53 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Yes, the pain doesn't go away entirely but it is way more controllable and beats the bejesus out of taking prescription drugs that kill liver and kidneys.
Good luck rpm.
absolutely. I despise prescription drugs and prefer to take any natural form of medication if there is any.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

footloose

Postby footloose » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Thank goodness for time and placebos.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Krill is for whales.
Fish oil is for seals.
Both have high levels of ocean pollutants like mercury, strontium 90 etc as these are often stored in the fatty tissue of ocean dwelling animals.

Body produces both EPA & DHA. Fruits and vegetables contain all the omega 3's we need. Animal products are rich in arachadonic acid with PROMOTES inflammation.

2+2 = ...
Vegan since 2001.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:28 pm

durianrider wrote:Krill is for whales.
Fish oil is for seals.
Both have high levels of ocean pollutants like mercury, strontium 90 etc as these are often stored in the fatty tissue of ocean dwelling animals.

Body produces both EPA & DHA. Fruits and vegetables contain all the omega 3's we need. Animal products are rich in arachadonic acid with PROMOTES inflammation.

2+2 = ...
Sounds like you want everyone to become a vegetarian?

I'm afraid I was given teeth to eat both meat and veg....

Everything is ok to eat as long as you don't eat to much of the one thing.

Even eating to many bananas would be bad for you eventually.

I am yet to see a vegetarian that has lived longer than a person that eats normally.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Fish oil is for seals.

2+2 = ...
Come back and report on how well you are doing after major injury and its effects such as arthritis and continual pain brought about through permanent skeletal misalignment. You will need to eat a lot of spinach, carrot and cabbage to manage that one if you want to avoid prescription anti-inflammatories and the havoc they wreak long term.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:16 pm

ozzymac wrote:
Fish oil is for seals.

2+2 = ...

I am yet to see a vegetarian that has lived longer than a person that eats normally.

Cheers

Well my Dad and Grandpa ate normally and died prematurely with cancer and heart disease so what do you say about that? Maybe it was the fruit salad they ate a few times a year? My Mum is clinically obese. Eats animal products 3x a day. Did a high carb vegan diet for a few days and lost weight and her 20 year arthritic pain started to subside but she 'missed cheese and steak' and back came the weight and arthritic pain.

Vegetarian diets are not healthy as usually still too high in animal fat and protein. Saturated fat contributes to heart disease or is that just a myth put out by the organic celery industry? High carb low fat low protein vegan diet best serves human health, weight loss and nutrition as evidenced in the China Study.

Looks like fruit bats are eating the wrong diet. Lets all rip down the mangoes and hang up steaks tonight in the fruit trees as Im afraid they were given teeth to chew corpses vs fruit.

Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:25 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
Fish oil is for seals.

2+2 = ...
Come back and report on how well you are doing after major injury and its effects such as arthritis and continual pain brought about through permanent skeletal misalignment. You will need to eat a lot of spinach, carrot and cabbage to manage that one if you want to avoid prescription anti-inflammatories and the havoc they wreak long term.
Well mate I lived on the dole for many years due to being unable to work due to getting hit by a bus. So yeah, Im speaking from experience. So is Dr McDougall.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/res_arthritis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can take all the magic snake oil pills you want but health doesnt come in a bottle from the 'health shop'.
Vegan since 2001.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:15 pm

durianrider wrote:
ozzymac wrote:
Fish oil is for seals.

2+2 = ...

Cheers

Well my Dad and Grandpa ate normally and died prematurely with cancer and heart disease so what do you say about that? Maybe it was the fruit salad they ate a few times a year? My Mum is clinically obese. Eats animal products 3x a day. Did a high carb vegan diet for a few days and lost weight and her 20 year arthritic pain started to subside but she 'missed cheese and steak' and back came the weight and arthritic pain.

Vegetarian diets are not healthy as usually still too high in animal fat and protein. Saturated fat contributes to heart disease or is that just a myth put out by the organic celery industry? High carb low fat low protein vegan diet best serves human health, weight loss and nutrition as evidenced in the China Study.

Looks like fruit bats are eating the wrong diet. Lets all rip down the mangoes and hang up steaks tonight in the fruit trees as Im afraid they were given teeth to chew corpses vs fruit.

Anybody can die prematurely.

I had a neighbour who was a health nut, they died prematurely.

As I said everything in moderation.

Also genes do come into as well concerning certain diseases etc.

As for cancer, that can happen to anyone....

Cheers

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Difference between you and me Ozzymac is I take my health and fitness seriously but you see it as a joke based on how you describe your current physical condition. Thats your choice. Please don't interrupt the serious people though. Ive got an overweight mate from highschool that only smokes cigarettes and nothing else. His dope smoking mates at work call him 'The Health Nut'. He is a health nut. He only smokes cigarettes and is only 35kg overweight. His work mates smoke the lot and some are 80kg overweight.
Vegan since 2001.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:14 pm

durianrider wrote:... Thats your choice. Please don't interrupt the serious people though. Ive got an overweight mate from highschool that only smokes cigarettes and nothing else. His dope smoking mates at work call him 'The Health Nut'. He is a health nut. He only smokes cigarettes and is only 35kg overweight. His work mates smoke the lot and some are 80kg overweight.
Um..., forgive me but I don't understand. Overweight, smoker and healthy. I don't get it.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Durian, you have to admit that many of your views are unconventional (to put it mildly). There's nothing wrong with that, after all, the major paradigm shifts we now take for granted today as common sense were fiercely resisted by the establishment initially.

What it does mean, though, is that you need to provide the evidence. Anecdotal doesn't cut it. Proper evidence.

As I see it, the evidence is fairly clear that vegetable protein is less bio-available to humans than animal protein, and vegetarians have to work harder and with more discipline to get what they need in their diet to flourish as athletes. This also fits with my experience, incidentally. Meat - red meat in particular - seems to enable me to recover from hard workouts faster. Alternatives such as legumes, lentils, even protein powder don't seem to be as effective.

Why that is exactly I have no idea, perhaps it is to do with the intestinal flora and fauna that inhabit us, and perhaps vegetarians' microscopic inhabitants adapt to enable their host to flourish with time. However, we have to let the evidence lead us on that, not our opinions.

Id' also suggest that your assumption from ozzymac's self-deprecating "round is a shape" that he doesn't take his health seriously is ... an assumption.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 pm

durianrider wrote:Difference between you and me Ozzymac is I take my health and fitness seriously but you see it as a joke based on how you describe your current physical condition. Thats your choice. Please don't interrupt the serious people though. Ive got an overweight mate from highschool that only smokes cigarettes and nothing else. His dope smoking mates at work call him 'The Health Nut'. He is a health nut. He only smokes cigarettes and is only 35kg overweight. His work mates smoke the lot and some are 80kg overweight.
You say some very strange things.

Where have I described my physical condition? I have said I get gout, that isn't really describing my physical condition.

I think you are just one of those obsessive types who can only see things there way.

I hope you enjoy your serious life.

Cheers