How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

poohkies

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:21 pm

well this morning's ride was only to the day care and back home, (started at 12 and with my pommy skin there's no way in hell i'm riding in the middle of the day) I used my old bmx from when i was 18, sorted out the kiddie trailor on the back, and then proceeded to ride, my 3 year old screamed most the way tell me to go faster, my 1 year old just sat there smiling,

took nearly 1/2 hour to do the round trip of a whole 7.8 km's!

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:23 pm

poohkies wrote: my 3 year old screamed most the way tell me to go faster
:D

Hot one this morning, a colleague burst into hysterics at the sight of me, I had a head like a tomato apparently :oops:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:57 pm

temperature up here at the moment is terrible, that's how i normally look every ride ! hopefully get in a good 50 this afternoon planes are back early so i can leave and do an extra hour hopefully

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Unpleasant headwind on the way home tonight. Just couldn't get the speed up and really felt it. Luckily my commute is only 5 kms. :roll:

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 pm

I belong in the idiots thread perhaps - took my time to getting round to stopping at the red light at the bottom of a nice fast downhill bit - I guess I was too busy playing with my new cadence sensor thingy.
This called for some emergency braking which produced a whiff of burning rubber and if my aft cam doesn't lie just the smallest bit of white smoke.
Still, avoided calamity and injury so I spose it was a good test of my emergency braking skills.
Came in a bit hot into the driveway at work too now I think of it, same cause. As bad as a driver texting if you ask me.

I ninny.

Cheers
Time

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:26 am

First flat for the year....after wet roads during the week I found out this morning that my bike/wheels are a tad dirty....because I am now a tad filthy as a result of the flat

took things very easy this morning and the morning itself was quite chilly, am going to be putting long sleeved compression tops on from now on

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:55 am

Rode into the Melbourne CBD via the Darebin Trail again, then experimented with different roads through Clifton Hill, Collingwood etc to minimise traffic light time. While this hasn't saved me much time, it's interesting to see different neighbourhoods...even in the dark. Nice and warm this morning.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:23 am

First commute yesterday after nearly a month off the bike with a sore ITB. It’s been a very frustrating time, interrupted only by extended periods of painful foam roller work. Physio gave me the all clear for a gentle run in this week and I have to say that after the bus/train/bus alternative, I was looking forward to it mightily. Left home later than usual to miss the morning peak and had a very good run, traffic was well behaved, and the weather very comfortable. Best of all, the knee felt good, and still does today. It’s good to be back.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:24 am

riverloop commute. got dropped, twice. :oops: :oops:
I blame comedian

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:37 pm

jasonc wrote:riverloop commute. got dropped, twice. :oops: :oops:
I blame comedian
Sorry. Frankie led me astray. :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:riverloop commute. got dropped, twice. :oops: :oops:
I blame comedian
Sorry. Frankie led me astray. :mrgreen:
actually, I think I got dropped 3 times...
still a great ride

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:15 pm

last night's ride was good, added an extra 20km's to it! was nice average of 30, forgot my bloody water bottles but :(

p.s what tyres do people use? and what km's do you normally get out of them, i'm using Schwalbe Durano plus and getting around the 1500 - 1800km out of them

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:17 pm

No cycle commute for me today, as I had to do drop off. The car-car aggression level is really something.

When riding in yesterday, someone yelled out "ya Essendon drug cheat", which made me puzzled until I realised it was due to me wearing my black/red jersey (my bike is also black/red). They could have just yelled out something about Lance.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:17 am

Multi-hop commute back yesterday afternoon and into the CBD this morning via the Darebin Trail...all pleasant and unveventful.
Rode along the MYT via the Collingwood Childrens' Farm the other afternoon for the first time in a couple of months. I see it's been nicely resurfaced and is fast..wonder how long before someone goes into the drink at the S-bends exiting the farm area towards the Yarra :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:24 am

TailWind wrote:Multi-hop commute back yesterday afternoon and into the CBD this morning via the Darebin Trail...all pleasant and unveventful.
Rode along the MYT via the Collingwood Childrens' Farm the other afternoon for the first time in a couple of months. I see it's been nicely resurfaced and is fast..wonder how long before someone goes into the drink at the S-bends exiting the farm area towards the Yarra :mrgreen:
I run to the Children's Farm in the mornings and have a drink at the fountain right at one of the areas you think people will go 'into the drink'. :D
And last winter one of those s-bends you are talking about was completely flooded and the water was about 2 metres higher than the trail (the one closest to the Gipps Street bridge and the horse paddocks). If they hadn't had signs up closing that part of the path people would definitely have gone racing in there and got wet as the path dips and it isn't obvious that it is flooded until you are upon it. It was very weird to see the trail leading straight into the water.

The resurfacing is very nice... Except for the cow patties staining the track. :lol:

No commute yesterday night or this morning - had a family dinner in the city (no need to ride as it was a 15 minute walk) and an appointment this morning which meant I took the train. I forgot I had this appointment so I took my bicycle to the family function when I could have just left it at work and then had to cart it on the train this morning. Oh well.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Looks like its going to be a wet trip home. :(

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Too hot, too hot! According to the internet it was only 33 but it felt hotter to me, and a yucky headwind to boot.
I nearly ran a little boy over this morning. He and his mother were walking towards me on the path, sticking to their side of it. He looked about 8 and I could see he was arguing with his mum. He chose the exact moment I rode past to suddenly throw his arms up and stamp his little foot out sideways and start to cry, so I swerved and just missed him.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:55 am

Summernight wrote:.... people would definitely have gone racing in there and got wet ...
Been there, done that albeit at the Dight Falls end. There was a short section with about 5cm deep water over the path - I could see the center line markings, but somehow failed to spot a ditch that was underwater to the left of the path, which I promptly strayed into. Bike, self and ego dampened :oops:
No scenic ride for me on Friday afternoon, needed to meet my brother at Watsonia North, so had to work hard on the road to get there on time.
Warm ride in this morning, Darebin Creek Trail for most of the way, then some inner suburb exploring for viable route options.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:12 am

Managed to make it in dry today. Not so sure how ill go getting home. :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:17 am

Comedian wrote:Managed to make it in dry today. Not so sure how ill go getting home. :(
I cleaned the flat bar yesterday. Don't know why I bothered. roads were damp this morning but expect this afternoon and tomorrow to be "unpleasant"

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:55 am

I’ve been riding on a Tannus (700 X 23c) tyre on my rear wheel for the last couple of weeks and would now have done around 400 kms on it. Yesterday I had another Tannus put onto the front wheel. The feeling of being able to remove the tyre levers, inflator and spare tube from the saddlebag is hard to describe. Then in the morning to simply roll the bike out of the garage and not have to check the tyre pressures is sheer joy :D .

The other thing I did over the weekend was to install a 53T chainring in lieu of my previous 46T. Wow what a difference that makes. Despite the rain I have entered cycling nirvana :D .
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:10 pm

Hamster wrote:I’ve been riding on a Tannus (700 X 23c) tyre on my rear wheel for the last couple of weeks and would now have done around 400 kms on it. Yesterday I had another Tannus put onto the front wheel. .

Hamster...what is the ride like since putting them on....what sorts of roads do you travel..rough/smooth...have you noticed any difference in speed/effort??

And what is a rough body weight...you a whippet or clydesdale??? I ask because this would have a big impact on the ride quality I am thinking.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:33 pm

I’m definitely in the Clydesdale category :lol: .

The roads that I ride on are typical suburban streets, some smooth sections some badly chopped up and some concrete bike paths. This morning my ride was over the Ted Smout Bridge from Redcliffe, through Decker Park, along Flinders Parade and then around Shorncliffe and through Curlew Park to Deagon Train Station. My flat cruising speed is around 27 kph and I always slow well down for corners.

In terms of comfort although the manufacturer claims that they give a smoother ride I can notice no real difference. In terms of rolling resistance a number of commentators have claimed that it is higher and whilst they may be right I can notice no real difference.

The 700 X 23c tyre seems to have more side-to-side movement than a fully inflated Gatorskin but just enough to notice if looking for it. The 700 X 32c has noticeably more. The larger tyres such as 26” X 1 ¾” flexes side-to-side by a significant amount :shock: .

Although not a racing tyre the 700 X23c is a good commuting/touring tyre. The 700 X 32c is probably in the same category but I would approach the larger sizes with their higher profile with real caution.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Looks at radar... "seems as though i won't get wet this morning"

5 minutes after leaving, pours down until I arrive at work. Very wet, but beats taking the bus

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Had a work errand in Ringwood at 9:30AM this morning so went by car straight from home there (wowee- the traffic jams on the Eastern Freeway going into Kew and the Chandler Highway were absolutely huge, not to mention Hoddle Street! I love going in the opposite direction and sailing past. :P).
Did the job then dropped the car off back at home and rode into work at around 10:40AM. A few less cars compared to peak hour, but the taxis seem to come out and start doing all their annoying tricks like park in bike lanes 5 deep waiting for spots up near the top of Collins Street (there is a big hotel there). And the temperature was also climbing by that time. I think I prefer 8:40AM in the morning when the cars are stuck in traffic and don't move much.