Cyclist killed in Western Sydney today

Brownster

Cyclist killed in Western Sydney today

Postby Brownster » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:19 pm

Saturday, a cyclist was killed when he was hit by a four-wheel drive on a motorway in Sydney's west.

The fatal crash occurred just after 7.30 am (AEDT) on the eastbound lane of the M4 at Emu Plains, a police spokesman told AAP.

Thought and prayers to the family and friends. Tragic.

g-boaf

Re: Cyclist killed in Western Sydney today

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm

That's extremely tragic news. :cry: RIP.

I'm hoping it isn't someone I know who sometimes rides along there. :(
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:26 pm

That's utterly dreadful for all involved. RIP...
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Always sad news when somebody is hurt or worse in this case. :(

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Really tragic news for the family. Terrible.

There may be lessons to learn..... 7.30am, eastbound. It's always best to avoid such a situation especially on a high-speed, high volume road like a freeway. One slip in concentration can bring things horribly unstuck - early morning, morning after the night before, sun in the eyes, long sweeping right bend near there that leads drivers to wander into the emergency lane, truck draft and crosswinds etc. All of these are potential risks, that may be factors in this collision.

Personally I'd rather ride on a regular road with lower volume and average speeds, despite the lack of a wide emergency lane.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Like many wives in Sydney today, mine got a shock when she heard the news as i was out on my ride. Thankfully today as usual on a Saturday I ride the m7 Cycleway. I have however ridden the m4 on a Sat morning. Allways hits home hard when it is so close to your normal ride routes. Tragic.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:22 pm

il padrone wrote:Really tragic news for the family. Terrible.

There may be lessons to learn..... 7.30am, eastbound. It's always best to avoid such a situation especially on a high-speed, high volume road like a freeway. One slip in concentration can bring things horribly unstuck - early morning, morning after the night before, sun in the eyes, long sweeping right bend near there that leads drivers to wander into the emergency lane, truck draft and crosswinds etc. All of these are potential risks, that may be factors in this collision.

Personally I'd rather ride on a regular road with lower volume and average speeds, despite the lack of a wide emergency lane.
It might be a wake up call to connect the separated pathways that are along portions of the M4 and extend them further west after Parramatta and onwards to the M7 and maybe out to Emu Plains. Although there aren't many cycling incidents along there, the amount of rear end shunt type traffic accidents that happen just makes it a ticking time bomb if there are cyclists using it. Not many seem to use it in either direction. In my last 4 weeks of being on the M4 each day, I saw only 2 cyclists.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:48 pm

I got caught in the traffic that resulted from this terrible accident. From where he was lying it seems as though he may have been crossing a on ramp and was hit by the motorist coming onto the M4.

As I was taking the detour, a passenger passed me and decided hurl sone abuse, stating that this traffic jam was my fault!

As I was riding up to woodford a cyclist going the other way had passed me and waved. I can't help thinking this might be the same person. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

skull

Postby skull » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:09 pm

just saw this on the news.

The Police comment was the rider was riding in the breakdown lane and it was a P plate driver.

My condolences to the riders family.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:11 pm

Sad to hear.
I don't know of any major motorway in Brisbane that permits bicycles.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:29 pm

That's bad news.
I was just thinking the other day the best way to Melbourne from Dandenong is on the free way emergency lane, but it is illegal to ride the freeways here. In fact even the emergency lane stops at certain overpasses so not even an option.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

skull

Postby skull » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:57 pm

winstonw wrote:Sad to hear.
Yeah I remember when I was living in Brisbane all the motorways forbid cyclists.

That isn't the case in Sydney.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:00 pm

skull wrote:
winstonw wrote:Sad to hear.
Yeah I remember when I was living in Brisbane all the motorways forbid cyclists.

That isn't the case in Sydney.
Problem is - there aren't many other routes around that area going towards Sydney. At least the M4 has a wide breakdown lane. The Great Western Highway (the other main road) doesn't even have that in most places.

Our authorities obviously think this is safe enough, or they wouldn't have allowed it.

zero

Postby zero » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:03 pm

outnabike wrote:That's bad news.
I was just thinking the other day the best way to Melbourne from Dandenong is on the free way emergency lane, but it is illegal to ride the freeways here. In fact even the emergency lane stops at certain overpasses so not even an option.
Someone that lives at lapstone or glenbrook has little choice really. Likewise I must use110km/hr sections of the hume, because they are the only road to certain places, including my folks place.

As it is the fundamental road that people in the area must use to travel, it should never have been a motorway without having a full sep cycleway, and given that it doesn't have a full sep cycleway, it should never have been allowed to have 110km/hr exits and entries.

There really does have to be some serious changes to highway design rules in this country.

cobba

Postby cobba » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:46 pm

There's a bit of info about the accident on the NSW Poilce Facebook page, the comments on there are turning into a bit of an argument.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... 184&type=1

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national ... ist-on-m4/

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Terrible news and my thoughts are with his friends & family.

I remember when the M4 was first built, it was promoted as a safe place to ride having wide lanes, wide shoulders, straight road with lots of visibility & no cross traffic. Yes you need to cross the off & on ramps, but the hazard is obvious, you have good visibility and you only ever have to deal with traffic from one direction. It is, in my experience safer than many of the alternative roads.

The M2 was the same - it was a condition of building the motorway that it had provision for bikes - there was controversy about whether they were required to pay the toll (almost no cyclist did & the motorway gave up on the issue). Like Zero says, it was only with the M7 that they actually built a seperated cycleway.

Whatever the circumstances, it is still a tragic loss.
cobba wrote:There's a bit of info about the accident on the NSW Poilce Facebook page, the comments on there are turning into a bit of an argument.
Colour me surprised

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:11 pm

find_bruce wrote:I remember when the M4 was first built, it was promoted as a safe place to ride having wide lanes, wide shoulders, straight road with lots of visibility & no cross traffic. Yes you need to cross the off & on ramps, but the hazard is obvious, you have good visibility and you only ever have to deal with traffic from one direction. It is, in my experience safer than many of the alternative roads.

The M2 was the same - it was a condition of building the motorway that it had provision for bikes
Sounds like the 'short-cut' option, rather than building real cycling infrastructure. Leaves really needed to be taken out of the Dutch book perhaps?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:15 pm

Ah crap! :cry:

Strength to his family.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:02 pm

il padrone wrote:
find_bruce wrote:I remember when the M4 was first built, it was promoted as a safe place to ride having wide lanes, wide shoulders, straight road with lots of visibility & no cross traffic. Yes you need to cross the off & on ramps, but the hazard is obvious, you have good visibility and you only ever have to deal with traffic from one direction. It is, in my experience safer than many of the alternative roads.

The M2 was the same - it was a condition of building the motorway that it had provision for bikes
Sounds like the 'short-cut' option, rather than building real cycling infrastructure. Leaves really needed to be taken out of the Dutch book perhaps?
It's an old motorway - so it's not had a lot of love given to it. Although they are putting small portions of cycle ways alongside it, such as between Coleman Street and Parramatta Road (done recently) but it's just small portions and there is a lot more to be done.

And really it's also a sort of Sydney thing where cycle ways will run for a while and then disappear completely, not linking to another one. Michael O'Reilly of SMH mentioned that recently and he is right.

The M7 on the other hand is awesome, separate cycle way that is wide, smooth and fast in most sections and almost totally free of pedestrians due to the semi-rural locations that it runs through in places. So you can hammer along and do it pretty safely. It's very enjoyable.

It's also probably a pretty good blueprint for those veloways proposed recently. The Dutch book won't happen in Sydney I don't believe, or not to that extent. Unless you know how to get O'Farrell and his colleagues to become pro cycling.

Sadly, one of our crowd lost his life today - and if he didn't have to be on the motorway breakdown lane, if he had another option it might not have happened. :(

Edit: news report here: http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national ... ist-on-m4/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not going to look at the NSW Police Facebook page on this topic, there shouldn't be arguments on topics like this. We just need to reflect on it and how we can prevent it from happening next time. :(
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Thoughts too with the 3 who survived and our lost cyclist comrade.

Anyone got info on the charity ride they were training for? Started in Darwin I think...

JM

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:07 am

This is sad news, condolence to the family involved.

Hanibal

Postby Hanibal » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 am

RIP Marc Simone,

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/marcsimone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:33 am

Hanibal wrote:RIP Marc Simone,

http://www.everydayhero.com.au/marcsimone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that link Hanibal - I think it'd be nice to donate some money to that. I'll get onto that on payday this week.

Blackrock

Postby Blackrock » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:47 am

RIP, doing something he obviously enjoyed.

I never ride the M4 for this reason. Last year a group got mowed down as well.

Agree with comments above that the M4 should link up the fragmented cycle-ways.

Also, can't see how it could be the cyclists fault (without knowing all details) as drivers should be aware of other road users including cyclists. Woudl they still complain if they were walking along a footpath and a motorist drifted onto that footpath and hit them?
Bike: 2014 Merida Cyclocross 5

Find me on youtube and FB page; Merida Test Rider-Commuter Bikes.

http://www.merida.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:54 am

Caught out clicking on 'related story' links in original article - obviously the 3 injured I referred to in original post were in an earlier crash (last year) in similar location.

On a side note - drove out to Eastern Creek to race for a change today, normally we ride either GWH or M4. We were behind a driver who was weaving a bit, in fact weaving a lot.

I guessed fatigue, my brother guess drunk - both wrong. Driver was texting at 110 km/h. Can anyone tell me what you can do, if anything, in that situation?

Is tooting the horn a waste of time and potentially dangerous? Just ignore it and pray? Worth taking a rego plate and reporting it?

JM