Brooks England Saddle Warranty

Aushiker

Brooks England Saddle Warranty

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Does anyone know what the warranty period is for is Brooks England saddles? The one causing me a problem was purchased in January 2011 so probably out of warranty but curious anyway.

I got into work today and found that the tension pin and nut assembly had sheared apart at the nut ... any ideas on what would cause this?

Andrew

il padrone

Re: Brooks England Saddle Warranty

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Brooks web-site warranty details.

No idea about the likely cause, but if it's out of warranty you can obtain and replace all the metal components of the saddle structure.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:10 pm

That happened to me, but I caught it before it snapped. I caught it with a crack in the bolt where the nut was. I sent it off to St Kilda Cycles to get repaired as mine was out of warranty. Think they have a 2 yr warranty
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:23 pm

I've had a couple of similar repairs done by Abbotsford Cycles in Melbourne. Just phoned ahead and spoke to someone. Was advised to send it in a Express Post Satchel, with an addressed return satchel included so there was less pfaffing around on the return.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:30 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I've had a couple of similar repairs done by Abbotsford Cycles in Melbourne. Just phoned ahead and spoke to someone. Was advised to send it in a Express Post Satchel, with an addressed return satchel included so there was less pfaffing around on the return.
mmm isn't it something that one can fix at home?

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:33 pm

You certainly could with a bit of stretching and farnarkling. Friends of mine have fitted a complete new saddle base and rails to their leather top. But they are DIY fixit gurus.
Mandatory helmet law?

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:35 pm

Aushiker wrote:
HappyHumber wrote:I've had a couple of similar repairs done by Abbotsford Cycles in Melbourne. Just phoned ahead and spoke to someone. Was advised to send it in a Express Post Satchel, with an addressed return satchel included so there was less pfaffing around on the return.

Andrew
I would just weld another nut onto it. Easy to do with an old stick ark welder with some ss rods, if you have a mate nearby with the welder of course. :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Not so easy. The nut is threaded onto the rod to tension the leather. Busted rod = thread is broken.
Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:40 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Very very painful from what I've seen on the interweb. Takes a heap of pressure to get that nut into position.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 pm

I think I just deferred to the experts (AT) Abbortsfod for the very reason of reported farnarkling. It was one of the rare bike related projects/tasks I was happy to avoid..... as opposed to just procastinate about ;)

One of my repairs was a sheared bolt. On a team professional saddle. Opinions about causes were mixed, it's not altogether uncommon apparently from a lot of 'net accounts. It was said by a few that the quality of parts used by Brooks these days isn't that like used in their original glory days.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:08 pm

http://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com.au/2010 ... anium.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://livingwiththewebers.com/art/refu ... her-saddle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rifraf wrote:
Nobody wrote: How's the progress with the Swift going? Is the problem fixed or are you waiting for warranty replacement?
A little less than satisfied with the correspondence and communication content thus far.

I did get a little info from Brooks as to self repair including suggestion of squeezing the front end of the saddle closer together carefully in a vice to aid the shackle not to twist again.
I can only assume it falls under owner maintenance.

I got the feeling Wiggle thought the problem was down to my lack of maintenance as in their corespondents words:

"The bolt on the nose of this saddle requires adjusting at least once a month, this
would have been clear on the instructions that came with it. It does not look like this
has been adjusted throughout the year of use. Due to the leather build of the Brooks
range the saddle material is likely to stretch, you have to adjust the bolt slightly to
grow with this movement during the breaking in period."

I'm unsure of how many turns of the bolt to tighten this may have incurred in their opinion but it gives me the impression that its more than Brooks suggestion of:

"1. Make a mental note of the position of the Tension Pin Nut
2. Slacken off the Nut
3. You should now be able manipulate the Shackle fairly easily and re-locate it so that the shoulders sit on the wall of the Nose piece
4. Re-tension the saddle by moving the nut back to, and beyond the starting position. I would suggest at least full rotation part the starting point."

No clear suggestions as to the cause and effect except Wiggles
"this saddle requires adjusting at least once a month, this would have been clear on the instructions that came with it. It does not look like this has been adjusted throughout the year of use"
apparently putting the issue down to negligence if I'm reading it right.

In answer to my response talking about my prior ownership of Brooks saddles with no twisting issues experience and no adjustment having ever been needed their answer was to send them the saddle and if in their opinion it was down to faulty
parts or workmanship then they'd look at doing a warranty claim.
I just tried to put together (whilst on the vino) some possible relavent waffle, some of which "may" actually be relevant :? ?
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:36 pm

I phone Abbotsford Cycles on Friday ... got the we need to check if we have the bolt in stock will call you back line in a short while. No phone call back.

Not sure what to do now. Will maybe try Abbotsford Cycles again on Monday otherwise I guess I can return it to Brooks England or try and do it myself.

Regards
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:48 pm

rifraf wrote:I got the feeling Wiggle thought the problem was down to my lack of maintenance as in their corespondents words:

"The bolt on the nose of this saddle requires adjusting at least once a month, this
would have been clear on the instructions that came with it. It does not look like this
has been adjusted throughout the year of use. Due to the leather build of the Brooks
range the saddle material is likely to stretch, you have to adjust the bolt slightly to
Wha ????

I have several Brooks saddles (including at least two bought from Wiggle) and there has never been any such documentation or advice. What I have read of Brooks own advice is to use minimal adjustment of the tension, only where essential.

This really smacks of a cop-out :|
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:27 pm

il padrone wrote:
Wha ????

I have several Brooks saddles (including at least two bought from Wiggle) and there has never been any such documentation or advice. What I have read of Brooks own advice is to use minimal adjustment of the tension, only where essential.

What a wonderfully benign way to express it. :wink: My reply lacked your exquisite subtlety IP. :lol: :lol:
Needless to say I felt somewhat letdown :? :( :evil:
Last edited by rifraf on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:52 pm

Aushiker wrote: mmm isn't it something that one can fix at home?
Andrew, if you have previously used the tension bolt to tighten the leather with normal use, the replacement of the tension bolt should be easier.
instructions
and the Brooks repair expert, Tony Colegrave's suggestions about the length of the tension bolt
parts if none available locally.
Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:59 am

Doesn't sound like great service. Surely a saddle bolt for a Brooks must be in stock somewhere in Melbourne.

My Brooks is creaking and squeaking and it's driving me batty. Lovely saddle (B17) but it was very slack when I looked at it so I have tightened the adjustment bolt quite a lot. I also put proofide on the saddle and a bit of oil on the underside near the rivets. But it still creaks and squeaks. Any ideas?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Loosen off the tension bolt a fair way Dave and add a faint smear of grease at the bolt/nosepiece interface with a cotton bud before tensioning up again. Never tried it on a Brooks but it did the job on the Tai clone that first made me a leather convert.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:16 am

Mulger bill wrote:Loosen off the tension bolt a fair way Dave and add a faint smear of grease at the bolt/nosepiece interface with a cotton bud before tensioning up again. Never tried it on a Brooks but it did the job on the Tai clone that first made me a leather convert.

Shaun
Thanks, I'll try that. I have a feeling at the moment it might actually be the seat post (Velo Orange, and very nice). So I put some grease on the post and in the shaft it goes into and I'll see if that works first. Although I have tensioned the saddle a lot I think it needed it as it was very soft. Back to almost as hard as new which is what works for the Brooks IMO.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:34 am

I replaced a snapped bolt on my b17 a year or so ago, the part came from Abbottsford without any dramas but it was a very difficult job to get it in.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:56 am

rifraf wrote:
il padrone wrote:
Wha ????

What a wonderfully benign way to express it. :wink: My reply lacked your exquisite subtlety IP. :lol: :lol:
Needless to say I felt somewhat letdown :? :( :evil:
And you wonder why the call themselves Wiggle? Or is that wriggle? :lol:
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 am

No response still from Abbortsford Cycles and from Glen Parker Cycles the Brooks "dealer" in WA and I did email them as well, in fact at the same time as I emailed Brooks England ....

I have received the following from Brooks

Dear Andrew,

Please send your saddle to our Smethwick address where we will fit a new tension pin for you we will repair this under warranty as it is only just out of our 2 year warranty. please also enclose a copy of this email for our reference.

Best regards

Steve Green
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Category: Saddles

Hi I have a Brooks England Team Professional Pro which was purchased in January 2011 and which has broken the tension pin and nut assembly. I have attempted to contact Abbortsford Cycles who I understand repair saddles but without much success. Would you be able to repair this saddle? Thanks Andrew

The saddle is going back to the UK. Once again the lack of anything close to customer service from Australian businesses with their heads in the sand has cost them a lot more than a saddle repair.

Andrew

redned

Postby redned » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:06 pm

il padrone wrote:
rifraf wrote:I got the feeling Wiggle thought the problem was down to my lack of maintenance as in their corespondents words:

Wha ????

|
I just bought a B17 Special and when I read rif's comments, I thought that I must have missed something in the doco that came with it. I am sure there is nothing about constant adjustment.

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:08 pm

I managed to get a new bolt from Abbotsford Cycles for one of my Swifts (same prob. sheared bolt) I replaced the bolt myself though it took 3 hands to do it. :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:25 am

I have received a response from Abbortsford Cycles. The cost of repair including posting to them and back to me works out at $46.50 using those regular service Australia Post satchels and they indicate they repair it the day they receive it. The repair itself is $21.50. Balance is good old Australia Post charges.

To send it back to Brooks England for a warranty repair is approximately $37.00 according to Australia Post's online calculator.

Not much in it really.

Regards
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:48 am

redned wrote:
I just bought a B17 Special and when I read rif's comments, I thought that I must have missed something in the doco that came with it. I am sure there is nothing about constant adjustment.
You are correct. Seems I was dealing with Wriggle in this case. I must say that Wiggle have been excellent in all my many other dealings with them so I suspect and hope this was either a mistake or someone was having a bad day. I will still buy from Wiggle but am a little wary in my belief in warranty's.
For Brooks Saddle issues I think I'll try to just deal with Brooks direct. :idea: