Melbourne bike mechanics

Melbourne bike mechanics

Postby kleric » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for bike mechanics in Melbourne? I'm looking for a guy for regular servicing etc.

I know it's probably more cost-effective to learn it yourself, but frankly I don't quite have the time or inclination to get down and dirty. I'm basically looking for a freelancer or similar who would be able to check gears/derailleurs etc (hopefully slightly cheaper than the LBS in my area - inner SE melbourne).

If anyone has any recommendations or is keen to volunteer their services (I'm happy to pay, just not $110 for 15mins work :P) let me know!
kleric

by BNA » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:41 pm

BNA

Re: Melbourne bike mechanics

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:41 pm

I go to Simon Jamison in Union Rd, Surrey Hills. I have been impressed with his work although a touch concerned recently due to 2 joining links failing.
His shop, Quality Bicycle Repairs, doesn't sell bikes - he just does servicing and repairs and sells a few parts and accessories.
Great bakery next door, too!
Andrew
gabrielle260

Postby il padrone » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Kukamunga is between jobs atm. He's a very good mechanic.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby clackers » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:39 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:I go to Simon Jamison in Union Rd, Surrey Hills. I have been impressed with his work although a touch concerned recently due to 2 joining links failing.
His shop, Quality Bicycle Repairs, doesn't sell bikes - he just does servicing and repairs and sells a few parts and accessories.
Andrew

A top bloke. A young Cadel was on his team when he was Apollo's MTB manager.

Does great work and so does his young assistant Luke, who's one of those downhill guys!

I happily drive past many shops in many suburbs to get them to do work.
clackers

Postby Summernight » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:50 pm

You could try Doug from the Yarra Trail under the Punt Rd bridge. His business is called 'Caution Bicycle Breakdown' (no website, just a card and email). He doesn't have a fixed location as far as I know apart from being at that car park under the bridge on weekdays between 2PM-7:30PM.

He comes to my work in the CBD if I have problems and fixes them for decent prices (IMO) while I keep working. He also quotes his price beforehand. He may do inner South East.

I can give you his details if you're interested.
Summernight

Postby tron01 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:58 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:I go to Simon Jamison in Union Rd, Surrey Hills. I have been impressed with his work although a touch concerned recently due to 2 joining links failing.
Andrew

I totally concur. I go to Simon too. He's also got the best opening hours, not many shops open at 7am and close at 7pm. The fact that the shop is just down the road to me helps too.

Went there this morning to get a bent derailleur fixed from him.
tron01

Postby bog1953 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:41 pm

THE BEST IN MELBOURNE by far Fuel, 98A Murrumbeena Rd, Murrumbeena. No I have nothing to do with the business! Not the cheapest but the quality of service and knowledge unsurpassed. Both pros and sunday warriors use him. I"ve had my bikes serviced by him and been very happy, where as I"ve been very unhappy with others.
bog1953

Return to Victoria