Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Your choice of cycling attire is lycra?

Always
155
60%
Mostly
61
24%
Sometimes
23
9%
Never
19
7%
Would if I could
1
0%
 
Total votes : 259

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:16 pm

outnabike, you do yourself and the concept of riding in everyday clothes (which I support) no credit by such obscenities :roll: Mods will probably dump that photo,as they have with the infamous Polish cycle team.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17514
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

by BNA » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:29 pm

BNA
 

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:29 pm

il padrone wrote:It may well be more than just lycra. The best way to get more people riding bikes is to KISS, and make cycling easier for people.

Without question, high tech clothing designed specifically for bicycling can help a serious or competitive rider go faster and farther in greater comfort. But for the rest of us, everyday clothing works just fine.

Civilian clothes are better...

Obviously written by someone who doesn't cycle a lot.

What's next?

Without question, high tech clothing designed specifically for bicycling can help a serious or competitive swimmer go faster and farther in greater comfort. But for the rest of us, everyday clothing works just fine?

Without question, high tech clothing designed specifically for bicycling can help a serious or competitive runner go faster and farther in greater comfort. But for the rest of us, everyday clothing works just fine?

Ever tried swimming or running in jeans? :lol:
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 6788
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:44 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Ever tried swimming or running in jeans? :lol:

Not very many people swim or run to work, or the pub as a non-competitive activity (or even a competitive one) as far as I know. Lots of people ride bikes for these reasons and are not interested in doing any competitive cycle.

Subtle difference there. Cycling is one of the few sports that has a dual-personality - it is also serious personal transport.

BTW, please avoid such selective quoting that misconstrues what the quote was saying.

Civilian clothes are better, in fact, if you are riding someplace where you will end up mingling with non-riders. There’s just something about wandering around in clickity shoes and bright tight Spandex that makes one stand out in a crowd.


Work, pub, shopping, cafe, party, family BBQ........
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17514
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:29 pm

il padrone wrote:outnabike, you do yourself and the concept of riding in everyday clothes (which I support) no credit by such obscenities :roll: Mods will probably dump that photo,as they have with the infamous Polish cycle team.



il padrone" thanks for the wake up call.
Sorry folks I deleted it my self, I reckon I went a bit far with it. My stupid sense of humour, I don't really have any thing against Lycra at all. My apologies for any offence.
Some times you think some thing is funny and it is just bad taste.
outnabike
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:11 pm

I don't know what I've missed here and methinks I don't want to know.

For the record:
Images of rowers in lycra have now joined the Polish cycling team on the permanent bench. Members trying to drag them back off and into play will cop a slap without further warning or discussion.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25275
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Actually MB, the worst one was no rower but a 'cyclist' - triathlete - who seemed to have forgotten his chamois :shock: :lol:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17514
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby duds2u » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Did a bit of cross country ski racing in another life and that would have to rate right up there with the rowers for both men and women. I guess the temperature made thigns a bit less confronting though. :D
Image
duds2u
 
Posts: 598
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:24 pm
Location: Sunshine Coast QLD

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:53 pm

il padrone wrote:Actually MB, the worst one was no rower but a 'cyclist' - triathlete - who seemed to have forgotten his chamois :shock: :lol:

Then I'm very glad I did not see it. The poster can consider themself even luckier that I didn't.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25275
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Wal42 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:11 am

Mulger bill wrote:Then I'm very glad I did not see it. The poster can consider themself even luckier that I didn't.

Shaun



Got something against people with big quads? I may go to the anti-discrimination board with this one. PMSL. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wal42
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:31 am

Typo there, Wal42.... you wrote a "qu" instead of an "n" :twisted:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17514
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby outnabike » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:29 pm

:oops: :oops:
outnabike
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby casual_cyclist » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:21 pm

il padrone wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:Ever tried swimming or running in jeans? :lol:

Not very many people swim or run to work, or the pub as a non-competitive activity (or even a competitive one) as far as I know. Lots of people ride bikes for these reasons and are not interested in doing any competitive cycle.

Subtle difference there. Cycling is one of the few sports that has a dual-personality - it is also serious personal transport.

BTW, please avoid such selective quoting that misconstrues what the quote was saying.

Civilian clothes are better, in fact, if you are riding someplace where you will end up mingling with non-riders. There’s just something about wandering around in clickity shoes and bright tight Spandex that makes one stand out in a crowd.


Work, pub, shopping, cafe, party, family BBQ........

Sigh. I go to the beach and mingle with non-swimmers wearing 'civilian clothes'. Doesn't mean I have to swim in 'civilian clothes'. Anyway, if it is that important to mingle with non-riders wearing civilian clothes you could always to what my cousin does and bring some shorts to slip over the top.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 6788
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:32 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Sigh. I go to the beach and mingle with non-swimmers wearing 'civilian clothes'. Doesn't mean I have to swim in 'civilian clothes'. Anyway, if it is that important to mingle with non-riders wearing civilian clothes you could always to what my cousin does and bring some shorts to slip over the top.

Gosh, not sure whether there is a confusion of terminology here or not ???

Anyway, back to my point - nobody that I know swims in street clothing, generally not feasible except in an emergency. Lots of people I know ride a bike in street clothes, it's quite feasible - for certain types of riding of course.

Slipping on some shorts - what I (and many people here) mean by 'riding in lycra' is generally much more than just shorts - also jersey, shoes, mitts, in winter tights and jacket as well. Going shopping or to a BBQ most people don't plan to do a full change of clothes.

I can't see what the grief is about the idea of riding your bike for distances of 5-15kms in street clothing :? ?? But do whatever suits you best.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17514
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:10 pm

I wear lycra for training/exercise rides, for club rides, for races and for commuting. I wear it for commuting because I ride 24 km each way around very hilly Sydney terrain and I get drenched, doing that in regular clothes would be disgusting, hard and painful. If I was to ride a few km I might wear normal clothes but I hate getting grease stains on the inside leg of my jeans, if I really need to look normal when I get somewhere I'll take my commuter bike with a change of clothes in the panniers. I couldn't care less if some insecure bloke thinks less of me for it or feels like they have some obligation to look at my junk. Grow up, we wear it for a reason, it's the best material for riding hard, long distances and sweating in.
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby The Walrus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:01 pm

I cycle in Lycra. I see it as a necessary evil...it has one redeeming factor for me, comfort!
Never underestimate the power of ignorance
User avatar
The Walrus
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Newcastle NSW

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby human909 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:19 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
il padrone wrote:But for the rest of us, everyday clothing works just fine.

Civilian clothes are better...

Obviously written by someone who doesn't cycle a lot.


I think after that comment you need to relinquish your username.

I cycle EVERY DAY. So do most of my peers. Neither me or any of my peers wear Lycra while cyling. I got home half an hour ago from a Melbourne Symphony Orchestra concert. All but one in our group who attended cycled. None of us wore Lycra.

Whatsmore the friend who drove took over an hour longer to get there and park and walk! Leaving from the same location prior the concert!
human909
 
Posts: 4197
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby ILMB » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:34 pm

The assumption that non-lycra wearers are not *SERIOUS* cyclists is getting a bit tedious...

One can easily do serious kms without lycra. I regularly do going about my day-to-day chores without discomfort or inconveneience.

I also push the up-hills (as much as 25kg without pannier luggage) will allow.

But I guess if one is not into strava besting, none of it counts...
User avatar
ILMB
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby DavidS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:31 am

The lycra snobs seem to be missing the point here.

The point is that cycling needs to be seen as a normal everyday form of transport. In order for this to happen we need visible cyclists on the road wearing everyday clothes. This doesn't mean you should all throw away your lycra, I understand that lycra is designed for and very comfortable for riding, but it does mean you need to cut the attitude. You don't need to be riding a carbon fibre racing bike in cycling specific clothing to be a serious cyclist. You only need to be propelling a two wheeled vehicle (maybe 3 for recumbents or 1 for unis) under your own steam.

As for the swimming analogy, get back to me when swimming becomes a form of transport.

DS
Image

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
User avatar
DavidS
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:42 am

DavidS wrote:The point is that cycling needs to be seen as a normal everyday form of transport. In order for this to happen we need visible cyclists on the road wearing everyday clothes.

Why? I couldn't care less if cycling is seen as transport...to me cycling is recreation.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 4931
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby casual_cyclist » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:07 am

human909 wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote:
il padrone wrote:But for the rest of us, everyday clothing works just fine.

Civilian clothes are better...

Obviously written by someone who doesn't cycle a lot.


I think after that comment you need to relinquish your username.

I cycle EVERY DAY. So do most of my peers. Neither me or any of my peers wear Lycra while cyling. I got home half an hour ago from a Melbourne Symphony Orchestra concert. All but one in our group who attended cycled. None of us wore Lycra.

Whatsmore the friend who drove took over an hour longer to get there and park and walk! Leaving from the same location prior the concert!

Did you write the article referred to in the link? Because I was referring to the person who wrote the article.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 6788
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby DavidS » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:27 am

RonK wrote:
DavidS wrote:The point is that cycling needs to be seen as a normal everyday form of transport. In order for this to happen we need visible cyclists on the road wearing everyday clothes.

Why? I couldn't care less if cycling is seen as transport...to me cycling is recreation.


Well, you can feel safe in the knowledge that you will continue to be treated as a third class citizen on the roads.

Of course, if you only ever ride recreationally off roads, then I suppose you can just not give a stuff about anyone else.

What was that I was saying about attitude . . .

DS
Image

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
User avatar
DavidS
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:26 am

DavidS wrote:
RonK wrote:
DavidS wrote:The point is that cycling needs to be seen as a normal everyday form of transport. In order for this to happen we need visible cyclists on the road wearing everyday clothes.

Why? I couldn't care less if cycling is seen as transport...to me cycling is recreation.


Well, you can feel safe in the knowledge that you will continue to be treated as a third class citizen on the roads.

Of course, if you only ever ride recreationally off roads, then I suppose you can just not give a stuff about anyone else.

What was that I was saying about attitude . . .

DS

I always ride on the road, and I don't believe I'm "treated as a third class citizen on the roads". When you talk about cycling being seen as transport, you must be talking about what you need.

As for attitude, it's a wonder you can ride a bike at all with a log that size on your shoulder.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 4931
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 am

RonK wrote:I always ride on the road, and I don't believe I'm "treated as a third class citizen on the roads".

Mervyn Hull
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17514
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:59 am

DavidS wrote:
RonK wrote:
DavidS wrote:The point is that cycling needs to be seen as a normal everyday form of transport. In order for this to happen we need visible cyclists on the road wearing everyday clothes.

Why? I couldn't care less if cycling is seen as transport...to me cycling is recreation.


Well, you can feel safe in the knowledge that you will continue to be treated as a third class citizen on the roads.

Of course, if you only ever ride recreationally off roads, then I suppose you can just not give a stuff about anyone else.

What was that I was saying about attitude . . .

DS


Actually I've always been treated very well on roads, and because of my average speed I only ever ride on roads these days. As I said before I use my bike (my fancy pants carbon racing bike) as legitimate transportation as well as recreation. I do it in lycra because to wear any other clothing with how I ride would be grossly uncomfortable and highly impractical in temperatures above 5 degrees. Nobody is going to bully me into being uncomfortable to satisfy their own personal insecurities or views of the world although if you like to be frustrated I encourage you to try.
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:08 am

AndrewBurns wrote:Nobody is going to bully me into being uncomfortable to satisfy their own personal insecurities or views of the world although if you like to be frustrated I encourage you to try.

You are seriously misreading what people are saying here . No-one wants you to wear a tweed suit for your 35km commute. Of course cycling-specific clothing and a change at work is the choice for this ride. However for the 5 km ride to the railway station, do you really need the Omega Pharma Lotto team kit?



BTW the "I don't give a freak about anyone else" attitude in several posts on here reads very poorly. :|
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17514
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], oxonabike, robflyter



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist