Cyclist killed in Western Sydney today

herzog

Re: Cyclist killed in Western Sydney today

Postby herzog » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Sydguy wrote: Driver was texting at 110 km/h.
I think the rise of the Smartphone in the last few years has made riding on motorway breakdown lanes an unacceptable risk.

The gov really needs to get serious about cracking down on this. It's the new drink driving and should have penalties to match.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:15 pm

Report it with accurate date and time, road, direction of travel and nearest cross-street. Report *in writing*. The cops can pull phone records. The can also send a letter saying they have been reported for this highly dangerous activity by another road user, with a reminder of the consequences and penalties.

Andrew09

Postby Andrew09 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Very few Police officers will issue a traffic ticket without having witnessed the incident first hand. In the end it will be one persons word against another. Sometimes the courts don't even take the Police officer's word for it. Hard to believe I'm sure. Sure Police can make a request for phone records but what high-ranking officer of Inspector or above will approve that request which may or may not lead to the issuing of a traffic ticket for $300? But I don't need to explain how Police do their job in the first place. It's the toughtest job in the world. I wonder how the officers are after attending the domestic decapitation in Bankstown earlier this week? And no , I am not a Police officer. Just obey the road rules everyone. The road is there to share.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:11 pm

Blackrock wrote:RIP, doing something he obviously enjoyed.

I never ride the M4 for this reason. Last year a group got mowed down as well.

Agree with comments above that the M4 should link up the fragmented cycle-ways.

Also, can't see how it could be the cyclists fault (without knowing all details) as drivers should be aware of other road users including cyclists. Woudl they still complain if they were walking along a footpath and a motorist drifted onto that footpath and hit them?
For me, the M4 is the fastest way to get to the M7, but its also a risk. I never go that way anymore after seeing a peak hour near miss. The traffic ahead slowed down - but a small CUV type vehicle (mini SUV) didn't see that. It slammed on the brakes and swerved into the breakdown lane. If there had been someone riding in the breakdown lane, the results would have been horrific.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:25 pm

g-boaf wrote:I'm not going to look at the NSW Police Facebook page on this topic, there shouldn't be arguments on topics like this.(
Perhaps we should start a rumour that in addition to checking for unregistered vehicles, the Police use Mobile Automatic Number Plate Recognition to monitor the driving of people who post stupid comments on the NSW Police Facebook page. All we would need is for a police spokesperson to deny it & it will be accepted as gospel

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Hanibal wrote:
I got caught in the traffic that resulted from this terrible accident. From where he was lying it seems as though he may have been crossing a on ramp and was hit by the motorist coming onto the M4.

As I was taking the detour, a passenger passed me and decided hurl sone abuse, stating that this traffic jam was my fault!

As I was riding up to woodford a cyclist going the other way had passed me and waved. I can't help thinking this might be the same person. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.
Thats real nice is'nt. Somebody has been killed and all this creep is worried about is being caught in traffic.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:43 pm

birdbrain wrote:
Hanibal wrote:
I got caught in the traffic that resulted from this terrible accident. From where he was lying it seems as though he may have been crossing a on ramp and was hit by the motorist coming onto the M4.

As I was taking the detour, a passenger passed me and decided hurl sone abuse, stating that this traffic jam was my fault!

As I was riding up to woodford a cyclist going the other way had passed me and waved. I can't help thinking this might be the same person. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.
Thats real nice is'nt. Somebody has been killed and all this creep is worried about is being caught in traffic.
White trash. :x

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:49 pm

find_bruce wrote:Perhaps we should start a rumour that in addition to checking for unregistered vehicles, the Police use Mobile Automatic Number Plate Recognition to monitor the driving of people who post stupid comments on the NSW Police Facebook page. All we would need is for a police spokesperson to deny it & it will be accepted as gospel
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Another one. :(

From : http://nobmob.com/node/40652" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GiantNut wrote: Another rider dies
A ride up to Mount White on the old pacific hwy that I was invited on but declined as that road is frequented by hoons. One of the guys I know was either clipped or spooked by two motor bikes who were described as racing. He fell and besides other injuries he sustained a fatal blow to the head. This was yesterday ( Sunday 17th)

My mates who were there said the bikes were riding at insane speeds and were too close. They did not stop after Steve fell.

I have been ill and the only ride I did this w/e was along the flat bits of Duffy's forest. In one 20 min ride I had a ute pass close, rev it and then drop the clutch. There are some deranged and dangerous motorists out there that's why in general I would side with the cyclists
The rest of the thread is about the M4 incident, and the debate is getting pretty toxic, unfortunately. :(

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Sad news - that's not a good thing, two in such a short period of time.

I won't comment on the motorbikes, as that will probably cause a fire-storm like the last time.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Out of respect - this thread is now being closed. Related topics can certainly be raised and discussed.
Cycling is in my BNA