The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

il padrone

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:29 am

PB12IN wrote: What happens to peoples minds that makes them think it is ok to ignore the rules on a bike but wouldn't dream of acting like that in their cars.
Enforcement (the lack of).... "I can get away with it"

A feeling that a bike rider is unlikely to hurt someone.... more likely to be injured... so "ride fast and sneaky to get through safe" (not saying I agree with this)

The view (partly true) that devices like traffic lights have only been needed because of "all those damn cars". Not relevant to a bike.

Lack of any programs of bicycle skills and safety training.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:00 am

citywomble wrote:Totally agree with the above.

I reckon cyclists and motorists are about equal (by weight). There are far more cyclists, as a percentage, but they are lighter.
In my recent few weeks of getting to work in a car, I've seen far more cars running red lights and blocking intersections than bike riders. By far more, I'd say four or five times as many doing this, buses included as well.

So glad I'm more mobile again and won't have to be a part of that crazy frustrating traffic from next week.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:12 am

Seems to me that riders are the one group that is less likely to have their perceptions blurred by tribal bias-and speak up about it.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:46 am

Oh I dont agree with that. I went to the sustainable living thing at Fed Square yesterday... on the roady in lycra (hey I went via DISC) In order to fit in their perfectly (and have more than one person among all the storeholders buttonholing passers by even talk to me) I would have needed to take my vintage SS and wear shorts and my minefields of cambodia t shirt.

And have not shaved.

THe person trying to flog me a nice vintage bike used sentences I did not understand. "Its pretty light.. only 16 Kg"

Plenty of tribal bias happening there.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:20 am

Percrime wrote:I went to the sustainable living thing at Fed Square yesterday... on the roady in lycra......

.....I would have needed to take my vintage SS and wear shorts and my minefields of cambodia t shirt.

And have not shaved.
Dave.... it was Fed Square, not Docklands-New Quay. The GLW needs to talk to you about your dress-sense :P
Mandatory helmet law?

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:32 am

BUT it was DISC too.

Sigh.
Oh ok yesterdays effort> Im going down Koornang Creek to DISC. Bloke in front on right. standing beside path. Pram parked on path. small kid in front of pram.

I think "everyone here looks stupid" and slow down to walking. I am 1 metre from the pram when kid steps in front of me. Father says something to child.. does not grab him.. although he is easily in reach. I stop. Say to father.. "You idiot" Ride off around child on grass. Father yells something when I am just about out of earshot. It does not sound like a polite apology for his complete lack of either control or training of his child. It does sound like quickness of reflex or mind are not amongst his gifts.

I think about going back and discussing the matter in a physical and forthright manner but meh.. so many idiots.. so little time. :twisted:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Percrime wrote:Plenty of tribal bias happening there.
Not referring to the internecine tribal issues that I ranted about in another post today Perc, I'm talking the car, ped, truck, bike tribes etc. Of them all, riders seem to be the ones most likely to not ignore or gloss over the failings of their own.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:54 pm

I was a professional driver for many years. You dont wanna hear my opinion of Australian drivers of German cars. Or of the average 4WD drivers skillsy (I still remember the woman in the RAV who stuffed up her U turn in Chapel St near Dandy Rd and got 3 of her wheels up on the curb. ANd the bloke who rear ended me in peak hour in his Land Crusher also on Chapel St and who then started a punch up. (He lost ) Or the Merc driver who ran the red light (also in chapel st in order to rear end another car.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:38 pm

You may have been a pro driver Perc but you are also a rider :wink:
Percrime wrote:...Or of the average 4WD drivers skills...
Not wrong, I'd like to see a special licence requirement for these things, and maybe proof of "genuine need".

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Wow you guys should see the discussion on the skill and licencing of cyclists on 4wd action forum ATM. Kind of funny seeing two groups having the exact same conversation focused on the other one like this.
Where do I sit? I have a forby and I ride bikes, I'm hated from Both sides :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Percrime wrote:THe person trying to flog me a nice vintage bike used sentences I did not understand. "Its pretty light.. only 16 Kg"

Plenty of tribal bias happening there.
Yep, he was subtly calling you a wuss. :P :lol:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:36 pm

PB12IN wrote:Wow you guys should see the discussion on the skill and licencing of cyclists on 4wd action forum ATM. Kind of funny seeing two groups having the exact same conversation focused on the other one like this.
Where do I sit? I have a forby and I ride bikes, I'm hated from Both sides :D
I'll be watching you! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:52 pm

Yeh I saw your posts in that thread. I stayed out of it, last time I got into a discussion when one idiot said that cyclists should be treated like terrorists I got in trouble and my posts deleted.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:24 pm

You just have to be careful on how you write it. But I also call a spade a spade and if I think you're a clown, then you will know it. :mrgreen:

I got a PM from one of the blokes on that thread about things, saying every time he went to make a reply about things he thought of me. :lol:

Now you outed me about being one of those nasty 4wd mongrels. :P

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:40 pm

foo on patrol wrote:You just have to be careful on how you right it.
Mmm... How do I right it carefully? :P :mrgreen:

Mandatory helmet law?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Smart arse! :lol: :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

PB12IN

Postby PB12IN » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Thats why I have a winch. :lol:

Axle

Postby Axle » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:23 pm

No one riding around Australia seems crazy after you see how people ride around in South East Asia :o

Families of four on one bike, no helmet and weaving between traffic. That's just how things are...normal

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Percrime wrote:BUT it was DISC too.

Sigh.
Oh ok yesterdays effort> Im going down Koornang Creek to DISC. Bloke in front on right. standing beside path. Pram parked on path. small kid in front of pram.

I think "everyone here looks stupid" and slow down to walking. I am 1 metre from the pram when kid steps in front of me. Father says something to child.. does not grab him.. although he is easily in reach. I stop. Say to father.. "You idiot" Ride off around child on grass. Father yells something when I am just about out of earshot. It does not sound like a polite apology for his complete lack of either control or training of his child. It does sound like quickness of reflex or mind are not amongst his gifts.

I think about going back and discussing the matter in a physical and forthright manner but meh.. so many idiots.. so little time. :twisted:
Sorry - but cyclists have to share the path. :twisted: All will repeat after me please! ;)

Yeah I've seen that too, only it was a young mother with her picnic blanket set up on the path and little baby crawling on the grass. I have to say that this was possibly the most insanely stupid thing I've ever seen, not to mention dangerous. Anyhow, you've all heard that story before. I wish I had a camera, because the whole thing was so unusual.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:56 pm

This cyclist was observed riding the Recreational Shared Path along side West Coast Drive between Scarborough Beach and Hillary's Boat Harbour. This is a popular shared path with cyclists, pedestrians, dog walkers, children, beach goers and so on ... you get the picture.

Not the smartest place to be riding at a reasonable pace at the best of times, but differently not when you are riding reading and/or texting on your mobile phone. The cyclist was luckily that this day the weather had reduced the numbers of users. I just hope he is smart enough to not do this on busier days.

Regulation 265 of the Road Traffic Code makes it clear that the use of mobile phone in this manner is an offence.

Andrew

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 pm

Maybe that's why he chose the section not covered by the road regs. That section is in the coastal reserve covered by CoJ local laws. Just a stupid and dangerous though.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:57 pm

TOdays effort. I,m in northcote.. turning left from a minor suburban st into another minor st. Mr cyclist turning right from the street I am turning into into the street I am turning from.. He is so close to my left hand gutter that I swerve right to dodge him and he passes on my left (and I am still within a metre of the left curb) .

He aint wearing a helmet. On the plus side he did say "sorry" as I swerved... which means he slightly more deserves to live than the father from yesterday.

Iater on I dropped phone.. fell from pocket when I jumped a speed hump. Instead of hitting it the driver behind propped.. waved me to pick it up. :D

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Axle wrote:...after you see how people ride around in South East Asia :o
Families of four on one bike, no helmet and weaving between traffic.
...with some middle-aged red-in-the-face guy in a bullbarred Landcruiser furiously foghorning them all the way down the roadl... :D

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:Regulation 265 of the Road Traffic Code makes it clear that the use of mobile phone in this manner is an offence.
Regulation 265, sir? But sir surely that's impossible without at least one live chicken and a rabbi?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:40 pm

A rabbi? Hey, what you want to do wit a live rabbi? Meshugge! This cannot be!

Mandatory helmet law?