Do you have a two bikes,one for wet weather training?

Secret Squirrel

Do you have a two bikes,one for wet weather training?

Postby Secret Squirrel » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:26 pm

I dont know,call me soft,a sook or whatever! But do you use your road bike for all types of weather? Or do you have a dry weather and a wet weather bike to train on. Where I live we get up to 4-6 (6m if we get a cyclone)metres of rain a year. I am not sure if my Colnago can swim very well. When he rains here it rains. Should I just man up and take her out for a spin in the rain. My MTB wont last too much longer. What are your thoughts?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Do you have a two bikes,one for wet weather training?

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Only two? :shock:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Only two? :shock:
+1

But all my bikes are wet weather-compatible :?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:07 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Only two?
+1 or is that n+1

Yes I do have a designated wet weather commuter/training bike with guards but depending on what needs to be be done as well as the weather will influence which bike I will ride (and the choice is a lot more than 2)
Last edited by nickobec on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 pm

il padrone wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Only two? :shock:
+1

But all my bikes are wet weather-compatible :?
I wouldn't take my 'Dale out in the wet, dintyer know carbon dissolves in water? :P

Actually it's pure laziness, she's the one steed that I like to keep clean. The commuter, the duallie, the hardtail and the Fix can be as grimy as they like.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:20 pm

Oh yes. The one bike I like to keep clean is........................

Hmm..... yeah! :oops:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:30 pm

Only the one, and if it rains it gets dirty and I will clean it later.It's a bike - it is designed to be used as one, not to be a museum exhibit. :)

I'd like to get another one done day. :) But not for the reasons of rain.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:08 am

I have a winter bike, actually I have 2... but this year I only rode the CX bike. Last year I had mudguards, this year I didn't bother. For me the water isn't the issue, it is the amount of salt on the roads... bikes really get trashed with all the salt.
But I have been on my race bike since the bottom bracket seized on my CX bike ( lasted less than 2 months ), I am with g-boaf, my bikes are for riding, they get filthy virtually every ride from October to March, I clean the drive chain every ride or every 2nd ride, clean the whole bike once a week... apart from that I prefer not to look at them, luckily when I am sitting on them riding I can't really see much muck :D .

In Summer they just get covered in snot, spit, sweat and drink mix... still pretty corrosive :lol: .

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:47 am

g-boaf wrote:Only the one, and if it rains it gets dirty and I will clean it later.It's a bike - it is designed to be used as one, not to be a museum exhibit. :)
Some that post in the thread below might disagree.
Show us your super light road bike

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:57 am

Secret Squirrel wrote:Should I just man up and take her out for a spin in the rain. My MTB wont last too much longer. What are your thoughts?
For training it's going to be beneficial to get another cheap bike setup very similar with more durable and wider tyres, stronger wheels, long mudguards and a cheaper component set.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 am

I have a wet weather training bike with mudguards and handbuilt 32 spoke (heavy but bullet proof) wheelset. It weighs 10.5kg. It's then a great feeling to jump on the other road bikes which weigh a few kgs less. :D

skull

Postby skull » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:15 am

No more bikes for me :cry:

I am currently at a s-1 situation, so anymore will create problems.

Doesn't stop buying new bikes but I need to sell a current one to allow a new one. It keeps the balance just right.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 am

skull wrote:I am currently at a s-1 situation
What's that equation? Spouse says -1?

BTW if anyone buys a bike from skull, make sure you give that back wheel a really good wash. :D
Last edited by Howzat on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:30 am

Howzat wrote:
skull wrote:I am currently at a s-1 situation
What's that equation? Spouse says -1?
one away from separation. aka one away from divorce (d-1)

EDIT: flat bar gets ridden through all crap (riding to work). roadie is for the nice weather

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:50 am

A good quality bike largely does not rust. So often the more expensive it is the less damage wet weather will do it. That said if you like to keep your steed in showroom condition then wet weather doesn't help.

A couple of my bikes recently spent approximately 6 months out in the weather and rain uncovered. There was no noticeable effect on one and severe chain rusting on the other which was not used for about 3 months. Fresh oil on the chain, and a few rides followed by more fresh oil fixed up the chain rust. The gear housing also burst and needed replacing but considering the housing was 13 years old I wouldn't consider that a bad effort!

Slvr32gtr

Postby Slvr32gtr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:51 am

Ive got a few roadies, 2 with Carbon wheels that are more for dry weather and one set up with alloy clinchers that gets used for both climbing and if its wet.

Im not a fan of trying to pull up on a roadie in the wet with carbon wheels!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 pm

Of course -doesn't everyone?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:04 pm

RonK wrote:Of course -doesn't everyone?
No, not me. Not yet anyhow! :D When the finances allow, I'd like to get another one so I don't have to go through all the work of changing over brake pads when I change wheels. (brakes pads are cork ones for the carbon wheels). One bike with the carbon wheels, the other with alloys which is an everyday ride. :mrgreen:

Some people look at my Trek Madone after I've been out for a ride in the rain with raised eyebrows and looking shocked of expression. I usually clean it off quickly.

I've been scoping out the bike shops though, and the idea of avoiding a second bike is harder when the LBS mechanic brags about his new Di2 Madone 5.9. :mrgreen: :twisted:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:39 pm

I have a dedicated commuter bike that is set up for all weather riding. Mudguards, Disc brakes, rack, two sets of lights front and back, plus 36-Spoke 3-Cross hand built wheels with heavy Marathon Plus tyres.
This bike does 98% of my riding by km. I reserve my road bike for weekend riding or for when the commuter is out of action (which is not often since I now maintain a set of spares for all consumables, and I am about to build a second wheel set to keep me on the road when one wheel set is getting serviced).
My commuter uses lower spec components that are dirt cheap to replace. The road bike is Dura-Ace/Ultegra everything.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Not being hot on servicing my bikes largely due to time constraints I have a couple of hacks that at any particular time the one in the most serviceable state gets ridden. (you can do bunch road rides on a MTB, you will just need to work a little harder than the rest.)

During the summer it isn't really an issue, but come winter when the brake pads are gone, the chain is grinding and the jockey wheels squeaking it will get a rest until I get a chance to give it some love and another one will get a run.

If I had the coin I would have a dozen bikes, one for every occasion, but in reality I have 2 road and 2 MTB and the total combined value would be half that of most of the individual bikes on here.

Just ride. That an order.

- David.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:37 pm

No "training" as that would indicate that I was preparing for something, however I do have a wet weather ride for the rainy days - 6.0 litre Caprice much nicer than riding in the rain. For the sunny days the Sworks Roubaix does the job just fine.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Nope, it rains too muchc in my life. teh good one would neve get ridden. i just ride whatever i feel like, whenever. My roadie gets a clean once a year, whethrer its needs i or not.
You have officially become your parents.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 am

I don't have a "training bike" per se, but my commuter is set up virtually the same as my weekender, just 105 instead of Ultegra, alloy instead of carbon, etc etc. I will gladly take this bike to hell and back. I've done a 70km blitz in the wet that most would not attempt, and I would not do it with my good bike either... it really does improve the life of the good bike as well.

Just don't pretend you will ride more if you don't ride in the rain now. :lol:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 am

If your princess of a bike doesn't like the water then get another, they don't take up too much room and there's no ongoing rego costs (yet :P ). I have four running bikes that all have different purposes. Although I don't train, I've got a good MTB for proper riding, an old MTB converted to SS for cruising with kids and mucking around, a steel roadie for commuting (I'd have a better roadie, but don't enjoy it that much) and a fixie because apparently everyone must have a fixie (or now that fad seems to have passed a bit and I should be getting a CX bike).
Different purposes for all, and they don't tend to cross over much. only your budget will determine if you NEED a training bike and a good bike. My MTB is my good bike, the others are cheap and a hodgepodge of parts.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:01 pm

I have a training bike and a race bike, the race bike would only be ridden in the rain if it was raining on race day. It also depends on how wet it is, if it's just a shower then I wouldn't be worried but steady rain might make me race on the training bike (carbon vs alloy brake track and who can be bothered swapping wheels and pads :P )
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack