Tyres

revinR1

Tyres

Postby revinR1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:40 am

I was just wondering what/how people do with thier tyres to combat even tyre wear.IE with most cars etc you should rotate your tyres ,does this go the same for bikes.Asking because Im getting serious about riding (btw bike is a Giant Hybrid cypress2) wheels are vittirra 700x40`s just chalked up a little over 1000k so should i put my rear on front to help even wear or do most bikes wear even anyway ???

Kenzo

Re: Tyres

Postby Kenzo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:58 am

No... Wear the old rear down. Move the (old) front to the back and put the new tyre on the front. You want the front to maintain good grip.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:01 am

You will wear the rear faster than the front but you shouldn't rotate the rear to the front because that would be putting a worn tyre where you need the most grip. Instead keep riding as you are until the rear is worn out, throw it in the bin, move the front to the rear and put a new tyre on the front, repeat. This will ensure that you have the best tyre on the front but you're getting full use out of each one.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:33 am

Tyres will wear unevenly. The front will last much longer than the rear. The 'front-to-rear then trash' approach is one way, probably the best. However for the past several years I have taken a different approach.

Most tyres will have a normal wear-life of between 5000 and 15,000 kms. My Vittoria Randonneur Cross tyres lasted 14,000 kms, so after they had done about 6,000 kms and still had plenty of tread depth I swapped them front to rear. The old rear worked fine as the front tyre, with a good tread still. They then gave me good service for another 8,000 kms and were both worn out by that stage. Replaced them with the same tyres new.

Your tyres being 40mm will probably be lower pressure like mine, and being Vittoria will also last quite well. Don't worry too much until they've done about 5,000 kms, then if the tread looks good you could swap them.

Or else just run them till the rear is totally worn out, as others have said.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Another vote for the "New to front-front to rear-rear to bin" school. If I was going to rotate I would prolly do it every 500-1000kms or so, each tyre wears differently because of their different loading and purpose and there's no way on Earth I want my front to be in the slightest squared off.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:18 pm

With my 47mm tyres 'squaring off' is much less of an issue than it is with 23m skinnies.
Mandatory helmet law?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:26 pm

il padrone wrote:With my 47mm tyres 'squaring off' is much less of an issue than it is with 23m skinnies.
Wish I had that problem when I was commuting on 26x1.9s Pete, might be the ~15kgs difference you reckon? :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Hmm.... dunno, maybe also more durable rubber on the tread surface? My tyres have lasted for 14,000kms without even showing the casing. A big slab of that riding (~30%) would have been with an extra 15-25kgs of camping gear on board.
Mandatory helmet law?

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm more:

- front to spares
- rear to bin
- two new tyres.

Yep, more expensive but there's always somebody who wants a tyre, generally me when I cut the daylights out of something on the bike and need a spare in a hurry.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Swap front & rear tyres on all of the road bikes that I've ridden during the previous week, every Sunday II (Tuesday is the start of my week, I don't have that day before Tuesday), then replace sets when they're worn out.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm lazy - rear to bin, and new tyre on rear.
I find a 3 to 1 ratio. 3 rears to 1 front. Maybe after 2 of these schwalbe marathon plus tyres I'll be thinking differently (closing in on 6000kms...)

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:05 pm

I've rotated in the past, though I don't do it anymore. As long as you have sufficient meat on the front for safety then all is good. Actual TREAD depth is largely irrelevant because tread has no use on bikes made for the road.

But the NEW>>>FRONT>>>REAR>>>>BIN make plenty of sense.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:24 pm

I've bought a set of Michelin Pro Optima which you buy as a 'set'. The front tire is lighter and softer than the rear. In theory they should have the same wear rates.

Really we shouldn't be running identical tires on the front/back in any case. I don't know my more people don't mix the front /rear tire.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:41 pm

__PG__ wrote:I've bought a set of Michelin Pro Optima which you buy as a 'set'. The front tire is lighter and softer than the rear. In theory they should have the same wear rates.

Really we shouldn't be running identical tires on the front/back in any case. I don't know my more people don't mix the front /rear tire.
on my roadie, I've currently got a gp4000s on the front and durano on the rear. the durano is definitely the wrong choice as a rear tyre (for me). it feels dead as if there is no feedback. doesn't seem to grip in the wet. I have a gp4000s to put on the rear in the next month

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:48 pm

A bit OT, but for your tyres' sake, consider this petition. Coca-Cola Amatil's attitude sucks :x
Mandatory helmet law?

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:24 am

jasonc wrote: on my roadie, I've currently got a gp4000s on the front and durano on the rear. the durano is definitely the wrong choice as a rear tyre (for me). it feels dead as if there is no feedback. doesn't seem to grip in the wet. I have a gp4000s to put on the rear in the next month
Maybe try Gatorskins on the rear?
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:38 am

__PG__ wrote:
jasonc wrote: on my roadie, I've currently got a gp4000s on the front and durano on the rear. the durano is definitely the wrong choice as a rear tyre (for me). it feels dead as if there is no feedback. doesn't seem to grip in the wet. I have a gp4000s to put on the rear in the next month
Maybe try Gatorskins on the rear?
My RS30s have gatorskins. the only puncture I've had on them (~1500kms) is a builders staple through the rear tyre

Slvr32gtr

Postby Slvr32gtr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:00 pm

I run GP4000s tyres and usually rotate them every so often when im giving the bike a full service. Once the rear is squared off though, i will run them till they are dead and then replace both front and rear depending on wear. The front will usually get kept as a spare if its got some life in it still.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm a noob with this kind of stuff (same with my car tyres) and usually need to be told when things need replacing so I hope I can be enlightened for the future.

I have Maxxis Refuse 700x23 tyres on my bike- they have done just shy of 3000 kms with only one puncture in winter last year (huge nail square in the centre of the front tyre) and one builder's staple which was embedded almost completely but it hadn't ruptured the tube when I pulled it out :D .

I can't see any tread on the rolling part (compared to the tyres as they look as new on the web) and there are little pockmarks through the tyres from them rolling over stones and glass etc. but the tyres still feel grippy and stable on my commutes. The tyres never had a huge amount of noticeable tread from the start (compared to the big grooves like car tyres and MTB tyres have - see here for example of the Refuse tread).

What should I be looking for in order to determine whether they need replacing or not? And what does squaring off on a road tyre actually LOOK like (front and rear)?

Someone said here that you shouldn't start worrying about replacement until 5,000kms but I would like to actually think I know what I'm looking for when the time comes.

revinR1

Postby revinR1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:47 pm

Im not sure how it works with push bikes,but on my moto you put your hand palm down and wipe it across rim edge to rim edge and you`ll feel like a flat middle and a edge/roll off it towards the rim.I hope that explained so you 1/2 understand.I dont have my bike till next week to check .I alsp dont think i`ll get 5,000k`s from mine maybe 2,000 or a tad over if im lucky