Ugly Bikes

Dan

Re: Ugly Bikes

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:41 pm

I can't believe I've only now discovered this thread.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 pm

At the BikeFest market at Birrarung Marr (Federation Square, Melbourne) today:

I really wanted to hop on it and see how fast I could get it to go. Fortunately I restrained myself and merely took pictures of it as it trundled past at less than walking speed. :D

P.S. It is a 7 seater.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:20 pm

Dan wrote:I can't believe I've only now discovered this thread.

I've seen one of those up coot-tha. looked/went like an e-bike

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Tis an ebike

AKO

Postby AKO » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Summernight wrote:At the BikeFest market at Birrarung Marr (Federation Square, Melbourne) today:

I really wanted to hop on it and see how fast I could get it to go. Fortunately I restrained myself and merely took pictures of it as it trundled past at less than walking speed. :D

P.S. It is a 7 seater.
would be very interesting on a shared path :lol:
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:38 pm

That is an engineering wonder :roll:

But some of the riders seem to be missing a chain :?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:10 am

Dan wrote:Tis an ebike
so it is the one I've seen. I spent ages looking for it to post a pic in this thread and failed.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:33 pm

il padrone wrote:That is an engineering wonder :roll:

But some of the riders seem to be missing a chain :?
So it should be posted in the Bicycle of Wonder thread instead and not Ugly Bikes? :mrgreen:

From what I could see they all connected. Or at least the ones in use connected...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:06 pm

If you only have 3 friends, this might be the bike for you

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:11 pm

Or if you prefer more conventional ugly, how about the Ellsworth Commute
Apparently it is exclusive, so don't delay, buy now

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:13 pm

find_bruce wrote:If you only have 3 friends, this might be the bike for you
Ah, the ZEM (Zero Emmission Mobillity) from Swizterland.

At just $1000 it's a steal, probably would have cost $5,000 plus shipping from Switzerland. The manufacturers no longer seem to have a web-site, not a huge market for such a beast.
Mandatory helmet law?

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:40 pm

that's not ugly, its neat.
tell me what you find ugly about that bike. it's a smooth aero design, lots of pannier room. not everything is a race ike, you know. maybe you take offence to he wheels, bu an e-bike has a lower normal spped than a good rider on a roadie, so aero just adds to the environmental soundness
maybe you take offence to all e-bikes, but if a tide of e-bikes engulfs our cities, we will all be safer.
it's blind conservatism like yours that holds the world back.
You have officially become your parents.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:Or if you prefer more conventional ugly, how about the Ellsworth Commute
Apparently it is exclusive, so don't delay, buy now
here is another nice design.
how is this ugly ?
not a lot of adjustment range in the seat post, but certainly not ugly.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:54 pm

Ken Ho wrote:it's blind conservatism like yours that holds the world back.
Dan posted the bike in the ugly bike thread and you react like this - talk about a long bow! I don't like the look of bike either ... does that mean I am anti e-bikes? No, it means I don't like the look of this bike.

People see beauty in different things ... time for some tolerance I would suggest.

Cheers
Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:56 pm

find_bruce wrote:Or if you prefer more conventional ugly, how about the Ellsworth Commute ... Apparently it is exclusive, so don't delay, buy now
Dosen't work for me either.

Andrew
Andrew

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Ken Ho wrote:

tell me what you find ugly about that bike. it's a smooth aero design, lots of pannier room. not everything is a race ike, you know. maybe you take offence to he wheels, bu an e-bike has a lower normal spped than a good rider on a roadie, so aero just adds to the environmental soundness
maybe you take offence to all e-bikes, but if a tide of e-bikes engulfs our cities, we will all be safer.
I find many bikes beautiful, but I find this one ugly. Is it wrong for me to have a preference?

Lack of a horizontal top tube.

I also prefer curry over steak & mash, so I guess I must be racist too.

Run along, you crazy revolutionary envirohippy you.

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Ken Ho wrote:

I was about to write out a nice, logical argument to put you in your place. However, I've decided that if you think like your response above, it's really not worth my time.

Dan

Ugly Bikes

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Must add that I'd not seen the earlier replies when I replied to Ken. I also left the alanis smiley on the other computer, so I trust you'll all forgive the lack of an explicit irony indicator re: envirohippies and revolutionaries, and note that I'm neither anti revolution, nor anti hippy. In fact, I'm possibly both ;)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Ken Ho wrote:

Personally I find it a 'horse that looks like a camel'. A world of inconsistencies - full suspension dually MTB, but it has aero format frame and close fit front mudguard; panniers on a ridiculous (and unstable) high-mount seat-post rack; BMX-style Tuffs; a city-bike chainguard; GPS for the expedition; and then I'm told it is an E-bike.

Wow, the owner doesn't seem to know which way to turn :shock: And I do know the sort of guy who rides this beast - I think I've met him :lol: Hi Al :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:38 pm

il padrone wrote:Personally I find it a 'horse that looks like a camel'. A world of inconsistencies - full suspension dually MTB, but it has aero format frame and close fit front mudguard; panniers on a ridiculous (and unstable) high-mount seat-post rack; BMX-style Tuffs; a city-bike chainguard; GPS for the expedition; and then I'm told it is an E-bike.

Wow, the owner doesn't seem to know which way to turn :shock: And I do know the sort of guy who rides this beast - I think I've met him :lol: Hi Al :wink:
I've seen one up the top of Coot-tha. It was stopped by the side of the road then a minute later flew past me like I was standing still (I wasn't, honest :oops: ).

The only thing it's really missing is some tri bars

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:01 pm

Methinks that frame is designed around the suspension system, does nobody recall the Trek Y33 I once lusted after?

It in no way blows my hair back (dem wheels :shock: ) but if it gets its pilot out and about with a grin on their puss, who are we to argue about it?

Taste is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery personal thing.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:27 pm

it takes a lot of style and design cues rom motorbikes. it is reminiscent of a Sachs Badass with the thick tube frame which probably incorporates batteries. On the Sachs, its the fuel tank. Likewise the close fit mudguard. it protect the rider, while aloowing decent suspension travel. the altrnaitve desin of a mudguard fixed above teh suspension travel requires a huge mudguard to afford the same mud catchng ability. Trail bikes do taht, cos they are low speed and dont want a heap of mud jamming under a close fit guard, but a dirt bike front guard would look silly on taht bike and crate huge drag. Multispoke wheels like that are typical of motorbike designs, as is the high rear seat/pannier design. This would be largely shielded from wind by thr riders body. Just because multi-spoke whhels are typically associated with high spped aero rigs in the cycling world does not mean they are not seen as an everyday option in other design realms. A duel suspension like that will give a nicer and safer ride than a rigid frame too, soaking umps and improving braking and handling. As for the knobbies, look at scooters. They typically have fat tyres with chunky tread.
No surprise it blew past someone on a hill. Electric motors have dead flat torque curves which will see them do the same sped on hiills as thevflats, to a point.
Overall, i see a nice execution of an evolving concept, the E-bike, not an ugly bicycle at all.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Ken Ho wrote: Multispoke wheels like that are typical of motorbike designs, as is the high rear seat/pannier design. This would be largely shielded from wind by thr riders body.
Just put some weight in that high position and see what happens. Hello speed wobble!! <scrape, thud>
Ken Ho wrote:A duel suspension like that will give a nicer and safer ride than a rigid frame too, soaking umps and improving braking and handling.
Completely unnecessary for regular road riding. Just soaks up your efforts if you get out of the saddle at all. Better braking.... dubious.
Mandatory helmet law?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Mate I will strongly defend your right to have an opinion, even when I think it is wrong. If that hideous thing floats your boat then by all means splash out your hard earned & have fun.

Just don't be surprised to see a bunch of us who point & snicker :D

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:40 pm

Ken Ho wrote:it takes a lot of style and design cues rom motorbikes. it is reminiscent of a Sachs Badass with the thick tube frame which probably incorporates batteries. On the Sachs, its the fuel tank. Likewise the close fit mudguard. it protect the rider, while aloowing decent suspension travel. the altrnaitve desin of a mudguard fixed above teh suspension travel requires a huge mudguard to afford the same mud catchng ability. Trail bikes do taht, cos they are low speed and dont want a heap of mud jamming under a close fit guard, but a dirt bike front guard would look silly on taht bike and crate huge drag. Multispoke wheels like that are typical of motorbike designs, as is the high rear seat/pannier design. This would be largely shielded from wind by thr riders body. Just because multi-spoke whhels are typically associated with high spped aero rigs in the cycling world does not mean they are not seen as an everyday option in other design realms. A duel suspension like that will give a nicer and safer ride than a rigid frame too, soaking umps and improving braking and handling. As for the knobbies, look at scooters. They typically have fat tyres with chunky tread.
No surprise it blew past someone on a hill. Electric motors have dead flat torque curves which will see them do the same sped on hiills as thevflats, to a point.
Overall, i see a nice execution of an evolving concept, the E-bike, not an ugly bicycle at all.
Fully agree!