Using my Garmin in Europe

foxglove

Using my Garmin in Europe

Postby foxglove » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 pm

I was thinking of taking my Garmin 800 with me when I go cycling in Europe. Could anyone tell me if it will record my route, even though I don't have European maps?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Using my Garmin in Europe

Postby Boognoss » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Absolutely. When you dump your rides into Garmin Connect, Strava, etc it will overlay your ride onto the map to go over your past rides.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 pm

If you want to be able to use it to navigate (give your location, plan routes) you'll need some type of European map. I've just bought the maps for Europe from Garmin (City Explorer map), there are other sources including Open Street Map.

If you just want a map to refer to, Mapswithme has a great app that can be downloaded to your smart-phone or an Ipad/Android for viewing anytime. You download the countries you need for free and the data is quite detailed - includes many tourist features/facilities and shows bike paths as well.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

foxglove

Postby foxglove » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks for clarifying this. I am planning to navigate the old fashioned way (maps!) this time, but thought it would be nice to have a record of my ride. Thanks also for the additional information, il padrone. The Mapswithme app looks useful.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Be aware that your Garmin readings (Lat Long Elevation) will be in the language of the country you are riding in at the time
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Just load up some free OSM maps.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Plan ... a_extracts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;