Sometimes
9%
Never
7%
Would if I could
0%

Total votes: 259
warthog1

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:27 pm

il padrone wrote:
There have been as many pejoratives against non-lycra riders by certain (many) posters as there have been negative comments by human909, so please don't go down the 'accusation' path. Remember the continuous references to POBSOs, riders with 'beards and long socks'?? Let he who is without sin.....
This second part of your post (which you added whilst I was quoting your original) would appear to contradict the first part.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Not really sure why you say that??

My first point was about the benefits to all cyclists of encouraging more people to ride bikes. More people will ride bikes if they don't need to gear up in lycra. Have a look at the large numbers that are out riding - commuters in the inner suburbs, recreation riders on a Sunday with families on the bike paths. I have said all this in an earlier post.

The second part? Sometimes people get are getting bit over-enthusiastic about their thoughts and feelings and bag other viewpoints. This is happening on both sides of this discussion - yet only certain people are being accused of negative stereotyping. Please don't accuse me of negative stereotyping of lycra riders - I am one myself!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:55 pm

roller wrote:i'm so confused!
I'm sorry if you are confused. It it really isn't that complicated.
roller wrote:so on one hand, wearing lycra makes motorists hate you.
That isn't what I said!
roller wrote:on the other hand, wearing lycra doesn't change the way you're treated by motorists.
Nor is that what I said! (I simply stated that I hadn't felt that I personally had been treated differently. Which is a completely different point!)
warthog1 wrote:Personally I am sick of reading negative bias from a particular poster, about Lycra and what it supposedly says about those who wear it.
Please explain this negative bias.

Numerous times it has been pointed out to you that this negative bias against lycra by some posters is a figment of your imagination. I have numerous times been accused of various things that are quite frankly incorrect.

I wear Lycra and I find you continuing hostility absurd.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 pm

il padrone wrote:Please don't accuse me of negative stereotyping of lycra riders - I am one myself!

What made you believe I was accusing you of negatively stereotyping lycra clad riders?
I have been reading the thread :wink:
il padrone wrote:My first point was about the benefits to all cyclists of encouraging more people to ride bikes. More people will ride bikes if they don't need to gear up in lycra. Have a look at the large numbers that are out riding - commuters in the inner suburbs, recreation riders on a Sunday with families on the bike paths. I have said all this in an earlier post.
OK but that doesn't address my point, which was that the thread addresses negative lycra stereotyping

If you see it that way you are misreading the issue completely :|[/quote]

in response to;
warthog1 wrote:
il padrone wrote:I don't believe that this thread was ever intended to be just a "chat about lycra", but someone trying to prove a point :|
Perhaps it was, If so it was a point that needed to be made. Personally I am sick of reading negative bias from a particular poster, about Lycra and what it supposedly says about those who wear it.
This bit then appears to say that those who don't wear Lycra have been commented on negatively so it counteracts the negative comments by 909.

Yet I am misreading the issue? :|
il padrone wrote: There have been as many pejoratives against non-lycra riders by certain (many) posters as there have been negative comments by human909, so please don't go down the 'accusation' path. Remember the continuous references to POBSOs, riders with 'beards and long socks'?? Let he who is without sin.....

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:10 pm

human909 wrote: I wear Lycra and I find you continuing hostility absurd.
Given your long history of anti lycra BS, this statement out absurds anything I can think up :wink:

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:23 pm

warthog1 wrote:Given your long history of anti lycra BS, this statement out absurds anything I can think up :wink:
The only "long history of anti lycra BS" is in your imagination. I have stated many times directly to you that I am not anti-lycra! I am an advocate of cycling of all types and forms. Most prominently I advocate cycling for the masses and cycling as a form of transport.

Personally I:
-road cycle wearing Lycra cycling clothing
-road cycle wearing non-Lycra clothing
-socially cycle
-commute cycle
-mountain bike

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:52 pm

And that'll be the end of that, before someone types something that they will regret.
Thread locked.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011