Perth Waterfront

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby rolandp » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Recieved a News Letter today from MRA, with sections relating to cycling copied below:
Works Period: 18–30 June 2012
Commence works to relocate the dual use path along Riverside Drive, west of William Street. These works are expected to take approximately two weeks and will be complete by the end of June. The existing dual use path will remain in operation until works on the relocated path are complete.
Traffic Impacts
In addition, the eastern-most lane of William Street, between The Esplanade and Riverside Drive and the footpath will be closed. Pedestrians are advised to use the western footpath alongside the Esplanade Busport during this time. There will be no disruption for traffic accessing Riverside Drive (east and west) from William Street.
Should the required works not be completed on the 23 June, the lane and footpath closure on William Street only will be repeated the following Saturday (30 June).


I've included the section on 'footpath' on William St as I know lots of cyclists using it, including me.

There is also a Works Staging Map, which shows that there will be a new bus terminal entrance off Mounts Bay Rd (looks like via The Esplanade/William St corner), so expect more buses to be travelling in this location.
User avatar
rolandp
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 am
Location: Duncraig, Perth, WA

by BNA » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:31 am

BNA
 

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby Tornado » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:31 am

Image

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3
User avatar
Tornado
 
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:25 am
Location: Mandurah WA

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby Vivifyer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:33 pm

released DG's on ped and cycling access.

Image

Full document here http://www.mra.wa.gov.au/Documents/Elizabeth-Quay/Elizabeth-Quay-Design-Guidelines.pdf
=======================
Flickr Stream
DArt Gallery
User avatar
Vivifyer
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 1:51 am
Location: Perth

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby Shifter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:52 pm

'The bridge' is going to be a nightmare. I also noted how the document doesn't state any about cycling infrastructure enhancements except end of trip facilities in the buildings.
2012 Giant Trance X0
2011 GT Zaskar Carbon
2010 Malvern Star Oppy A4
Shifter
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:55 pm

I for one will never use that bridge path, except to push my bike/trike across
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4641
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby Pushy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I for one will never use that bridge path, except to push my bike/trike across

We will all probably have to, like the bridge in East Perth. You can count on the CoP.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km
Pushy
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 am
Location: Freo WA

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Pushy wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:I for one will never use that bridge path, except to push my bike/trike across

We will all probably have to, like the bridge in East Perth. You can count on the CoP.

I am confused. Doesn't it clearly define it's use? (2.2.7, 2.2.9) Does CoP have an over-riding say? Perhaps they do. :?

As far as how suitable it will be for mixing peds and cyclists, are their detailed drawings indicting it is worse than, say, the existing fenced skinny lumpy stretch immediately south of the Function Centre? Riders are all using that already and there is probably as much ped traffic during commute hours now as there will be when this thing is built.

I may accept however that on weekends during the day there will be heaps of peds about. Though, from my observation, cyclists even then seem to prefer earlier mornings than the ped latte set.

Still, on a positive note, if you choose already to avoid it then it will just be a bit more roomy for the rest of us. :lol:
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4767
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:40 pm

For the record I am not at all in favour of the state going further into debt or using revenues that are falling to provide this. I think we have a premier who realises that a leaders "legacy" is enhanced in the long run based on what they left. What they cut out does not feature further down the line no matter how much worse we may be off. And while other premiers are not much different, Colin's fellows are still in awe of his comeback from being a joke to leading them to regaining government and getting the "top dog" mantle of current state leaders. Hence he gets to do as he wishes - a one man cabinet so to speak.

End of rant

I note from the diagrams that that skinny bit right on the river wall is shifting inland a bit. A definite improvement.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4767
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby nachoman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm

The bike path along Riverside Drive from Plain St to the Bell Tower is currently being resurfaced. It also looks wider in parts.

http://imgur.com/MdCSDWY
nachoman
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby wexford » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:21 am

nachoman wrote:The bike path along Riverside Drive from Plain St to the Bell Tower is currently being resurfaced. It also looks wider in parts.


Very nice. I like to blast along that bit when there's a good tail wind, and even with the pleasant riverside walk a few metres over to the side there'll still be a fair number of peds using it. As is their right, of course, but it means that I have to slow down!
wexford
 
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:26 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:47 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:For the record I am not at all in favour of the state going further into debt or using revenues that are falling to provide this. I think we have a premier who realises that a leaders "legacy" is enhanced in the long run based on what they left. What they cut out does not feature further down the line no matter how much worse we may be off. And while other premiers are not much different, Colin's fellows are still in awe of his comeback from being a joke to leading them to regaining government and getting the "top dog" mantle of current state leaders. Hence he gets to do as he wishes - a one man cabinet so to speak.

End of rant

I note from the diagrams that that skinny bit right on the river wall is shifting inland a bit. A definite improvement.

I was discussing the history of this project with some colleagues today. All of them swore that it was Barnie that dreamed it up. Incorrect. I recalled that it was a labor party project but I couldn't remember which minister. It turns out it was happy Carps who dreamed it up in 2008. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-02-13/carpenter-announces-new-waterfront-plan/1042022. Enlarge the photo and you will see a picture of what was dubbed "Dubai on Swan" at the time. From the looks of the photo it was a much more ambitious (i.e. expensive) project. This is Perth Waterfront lite in comparison. :roll:
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7333
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:49 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:For the record I am not at all in favour of the state going further into debt or using revenues that are falling to provide this. I think we have a premier who realises that a leaders "legacy" is enhanced in the long run based on what they left. What they cut out does not feature further down the line no matter how much worse we may be off. And while other premiers are not much different, Colin's fellows are still in awe of his comeback from being a joke to leading them to regaining government and getting the "top dog" mantle of current state leaders. Hence he gets to do as he wishes - a one man cabinet so to speak.

End of rant

I note from the diagrams that that skinny bit right on the river wall is shifting inland a bit. A definite improvement.

I was discussing the history of this project with some colleagues today. All of them swore that it was Barnie that dreamed it up. Incorrect. I recalled that it was a labor party project but I couldn't remember which minister. It turns out it was happy Carps who dreamed it up in 2008. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2008-02-13/carpenter-announces-new-waterfront-plan/1042022. Enlarge the photo and you will see a picture of what was dubbed "Dubai on Swan" at the time. From the looks of the photo it was a much more ambitious (i.e. expensive) project. This is Perth Waterfront lite in comparison. :roll:

That is fine, most ideas are borrowed from others. The sinking of the railway line has been proposed since forever. And the previous government, from memory, also floated a scheme down at the Concet Hall instead.

But when it goes further and actually gets funded and commenced it should first have been subject to conflicting views and argued about by of others such as cabinet, the public, engineers, hydrographers, etc etc. The point I make is that Barnett doesn't seem to have to as his cabinet is in awe of him (it seems). So we get a one man thought-bubble that gives us a footy stadium in a place that was not on the list recomended by the Langoulant panel, nor does it seem to have been run by engineers etc.

Meantime in a leadup to an election he suddenly discovers the need to do some other costly stuff as the state debt is ballooning from $3B to $25B. Which means that neither party will be funding any of those other things.

The looks of the photo you refer to with futuristic building that you imply (probably correctly) as being more expensive is the private sector contribution and will look like tha only if that sector sees value in it. It may still look like that or it may look more mundane but either way that will be funded by private enterprise.

Don't get me wrong - I am ecstatic for the idea of making some use of the best or second best capital city water in the country. I think most of the shore along there is as boring as the proverbial bat excrement. My concern is the failure to develop the ideas and options before committing us to them.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4767
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby rolandp » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:50 pm

Anyone else get lost in the maze of fences and constantly moving shared path. Feels like an episode of Harry Potter with the moving stair cases.

If you turn off at William St, you need to continue down to the Bell Tower and do a hook back, when heading east. When heading west don't continue along the original path, as you will hit a dead end and you can only cross at William St:
Image

I do love the care to attention provided in these directional signs which are A3 pieces of paper. I didn't know we know need superman vision to read these signs when riding.

What I can't work out, why the new road lanes are being installed, they will be underwater in the near future. So why build them? Once these new road lanes are installed, how do you cross them to get to William St? If you use William St, how do you get back onto the PSP?

You then have the issue that Barrack St is now one way (you can only head north), so unless you ride on the footpath, then how do you get into Perth, in particular, as my guess is that William St won't be accessable once those new roads lanes are operational.

Minister of Transport announced last week 'More Information for Motorists to Plan Journey'. Great idea, wonder were they got it from as I asked for one to be provided for cyclists late last year, none provided at this time.
User avatar
rolandp
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 am
Location: Duncraig, Perth, WA

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby elStado » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:46 pm

rolandp wrote:Anyone else get lost in the maze of fences and constantly moving shared path. Feels like an episode of Harry Potter with the moving stair cases.


Yep. Threw everyone out. We were all pootling along the path wondering where we were supposed to be going haha.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby rolandp » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:52 pm

I was told to slow down this morning, looked down at the speedo and I was doing 15kph, so I turned around and asked what speed I should be doing. There had been an accident earlier on the shared path, I was told. I then started the questions, why.. Why are we riding on paths that aren't designed for bikes. Why aren't there traffic controllers in place to help direct us. Why is a road being built that will be, destroyed in the near future. Why are diversion signs printed on a3 paper etc etc. response, it is a work in progress

Was also told that William st will be inaccessible in the near future and to use barrack st, though my explanation that this was a footpath, he then suggested I could use other entrances down riverside drive.

Have requested information from mra.

If you were the one in the accident, hope it was not serious.
User avatar
rolandp
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 am
Location: Duncraig, Perth, WA

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby blkmcs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:25 am

It's all part of the bigger picture Roland :lol:
Too old to live, too slow to die.
User avatar
blkmcs
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:44 pm
Location: Bayswater, WA

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby CycleSnail » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:59 am

rolandp wrote:I was told to slow down this morning, looked down at the speedo and I was doing 15kph, so I turned around and asked what speed I should be doing. There had been an accident earlier on the shared path, I was told. I then started the questions, why.. Why are we riding on paths that aren't designed for bikes. Why aren't there traffic controllers in place to help direct us. Why is a road being built that will be, destroyed in the near future. Why are diversion signs printed on a3 paper etc etc. response, it is a work in progress

Was also told that William st will be inaccessible in the near future and to use barrack st, though my explanation that this was a footpath, he then suggested I could use other entrances down riverside drive.

Have requested information from mra.

If you were the one in the accident, hope it was not serious.


The original plan was to have pedestrians using the Barrack street footpath, and force cyclist to use Victoria Avenue .....
Visit the Bicycle Transportation Alliance at
http://www.btawa.org.au
User avatar
CycleSnail
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Bassendean, WA

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:47 pm

rolandp wrote:I was told to slow down this morning, looked down at the speedo and I was doing 15kph, so I turned around and asked what speed I should be doing. There had been an accident earlier on the shared path, I was told. I then started the questions, why.. Why are we riding on paths that aren't designed for bikes. Why aren't there traffic controllers in place to help direct us. Why is a road being built that will be, destroyed in the near future. Why are diversion signs printed on a3 paper etc etc. response, it is a work in progress

Was also told that William st will be inaccessible in the near future and to use barrack st, though my explanation that this was a footpath, he then suggested I could use other entrances down riverside drive.

Have requested information from mra.

If you were the one in the accident, hope it was not serious.

It's all being done as forced training for the Tour d'Perth. :lol:
I know things are bad when YOU wander of and have a rant Roland. :cry: Chin up.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4767
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby blkmcs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:27 pm

rolandp wrote:...Why are diversion signs printed on a3 paper etc etc. response, it is a work in progress....

Somebody is listening Roland, there was a nice big sign showing directions to the City or to the Narrows this morning, thanks for making the effort.
Too old to live, too slow to die.
User avatar
blkmcs
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:44 pm
Location: Bayswater, WA

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby nachoman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:21 pm

A warning if riding along Riverside Drive tomorrow morning (Sunday), roads might be blocked and you might end up a different colour

http://thecolorrun.com/australia/perth/
http://thecolorrun.com/wp/wp-content/up ... aceMap.jpg
nachoman
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby wellington_street » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:46 pm

Ah so that's why such a large stretch was closed. I went through after the excitement had finished by the looks of it.

The diversion signage was OK although not great - I was looking for Mounts Bay Road and options of "Narrows" and "City" didn't really help me as I wasn't sure if Narrows would force me over the bridge. A bit ambiguous imo.
wellington_street
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby elStado » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:45 pm

Ahhg. What is going on now at the connection to the foreshore. My usual ride home today was marred by ridiclous traffic and lots of confused cyclists trying to get to the cycle path. I am heading from the CBD towards the southern Kwinana PSP. What's the best way? Down William, left onto Esplanade, right onto Barrack and then connect to the PSP...? :? :?:
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
User avatar
elStado
 
Posts: 2327
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm
Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby rolandp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:09 pm

That was basically my route home tonight. Anyone else get filmed by the News camera's, one located cnr The Esplanade/William St, the other located cnr The Esplanade/Barrack St.

I would be surprised that it was on this evening as I went through around 5:30pm.
User avatar
rolandp
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:47 am
Location: Duncraig, Perth, WA

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby roller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:27 am

accidentally got caught in this yesterday, went down william street as normal, hoping to get on the bike path to the narrows.

BUH BOW.

took me an age to get up the esplanade and then down barrack and on to the path at the belltower.

will be taking william-hay-milligan-mount st from now on.
Image
User avatar
roller
 
Posts: 1555
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:17 pm
Location: embleton

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 am

elStado wrote:Ahhg. What is going on now at the connection to the foreshore. My usual ride home today was marred by ridiclous traffic and lots of confused cyclists trying to get to the cycle path. I am heading from the CBD towards the southern Kwinana PSP. What's the best way? Down William, left onto Esplanade, right onto Barrack and then connect to the PSP...? :? :?:


The other option is St Georges Terrace then down either Mount or Mill Streets to Mounts Bay Road and onto the PSP that way.
wellington_street
 
Posts: 1025
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Western Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sith1



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit