Occasional Retro Classic Ride

Paul Watson

Occasional Retro Classic Ride

Postby Paul Watson » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:06 am

A few of us will be riding around the Capitol City trail Sunday morning (17/2/2013). Starting at Fairfield boathouse, 9:00 AM

harcs

Re: Occasional Retro Classic Ride

Postby harcs » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:10 pm

I had a retro ride on my own this morning. Palm Beach to coffee shop at Coolangatta. Any local old bike riders reading this post, we should have at least one coffee ride a month on our old bike of choice. I am a goer not necessarily a show'er and enjoy the occasional ride on my 1940 Malvern Star Oppy Racer. Trouble this morning was that it rained on the way home and 73 year old brakes are not good in the wet.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:27 pm

harcs wrote:... Trouble this morning was that it rained on the way home and 73 year old brakes are not good in the wet.
steel rims?
has anyone used Fibrax 'raincheater' pads (for steel rims only). Leather and rubber.

harcs

Postby harcs » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Do they work on painted rims and where do you get them as they are also recommended to use onCampagnolo C-Delta brakes

harcs

Postby harcs » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Silly question " where do you get them" if I had clicked on the link I would know. Anyhow I have bought 4 pads so will try them when they arrive. The pads on the bike are el cheapo because they look the best.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:28 pm

There's now a Retro Rides page on the Queensland section of the forum, it's there for any Queenslanders to post their upcoming retro rides, I suggest you guys in other states, start your own retro rides page in your local state forum page if you want to meet others for retro ride groups.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Wal42 wrote:There's now a Retro Rides page on the Queensland section of the forum, it's there for any Queenslanders to post their upcoming retro rides, I suggest you guys in other states, start your own retro rides page in your local state forum page if you want to meet others for retro ride groups.
I'd prefer a longer-standing member here kick off some Sydney suggestions. If not, I'll stick my neck out during the week. Am in Hornsby area, but would be happy to train/drive to a starting point. Maybe greater P'matta somewhere. The Bi-Centennial track is good. Used to start at Merrylands High, then>Prospect Res, then>continue past Fairfield City Farm via the water-supply track, then along the creek track to Canley Vale. Just a thought; as an occasional thing. But if there was a reasonable number, could be a drop-in/drop-out. Do Sundays whenever you're free. (This is a Tony Abbott-style kite-flyer here).
My level currently would be Doddle+1, barely, but it's pretty flat in the bottom of the Sydney Basin, unlike up here.
Well, no, it's not a pushbike, otherwise I'd be pushing it...
Ricardo Elite, '87 Keith Davis/Pegasus, '92 Team Miyata Ti.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:52 pm

frailer5 wrote:
I'd prefer a longer-standing member here kick off some Sydney suggestions. If not, I'll stick my neck out during the week. Am in Hornsby area, but would be happy to train/drive to a starting point..

You only need one guy to start it then get a core of guys.

Munga started ours up here, because of work, he hasn't made it for a month, but there's a core of 5 or 6 blokes, so even if a few of us can't/don't make it, it still goes ahead with the others. We're spread all over Brissie, the CBD is pretty much in the middle (unlike Sydney), so that's pretty much where we go from, everybody has to travel a bit, munga is probably the furthest away & it's about an hour for him.

Parramatta is probably a good start point, fairly central to the whole of Sydney, it's been 20 years since I lived there, you need parking for the cars (free is real good) & somewhere for decent coffee afterwards, our ride is very social, we don't try to set any land speed records, we all chat & ride, sort of goes with the whole retro bike feel.

Ok, Sydney guys, frailer has stuck his hat in, back him up, anyone who has been on one of our retro rides will tell you how much fun we have.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:33 am

It's 'festina lente' on it right now. Going through post-shingles recovery. How very retro.
But worth working towards.

harcs

Postby harcs » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:38 pm

OK Gold Coasters, I'll start the ball rolling on the Coast. First Saturday of every month leave from outside Storm Cycles on Golden Four Drive, Tugun at 6.30am sharp. We will travel south and go interstate where we gain an hour then cross the border again to have coffee at Coolangatta. I will be riding my 1940 Malvern Star and probably have my grandson with me. My phone number if running late, Rob, 0413749929. Have no idea how many their are down here but I do know their is a guy at Currumbin with a nice Gios.

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:38 pm

Hey Frailer :o I'm in. Has been on my list for quite a while. Lets bump heads and see what evolves.
Andy
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Email sent by way of reply to PM. :wink:

sunho

Postby sunho » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:15 pm

you guys lead, I'll follow. I'm in Ryde :)

Paul Watson

Postby Paul Watson » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Blimey! Didn't take long for my original thread to get totally sidetracked.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 pm

Paul Watson wrote:Blimey! Didn't take long for my original thread to get totally sidetracked.
You're not wrong there. Still if you'd posted in the VIC forum it probably would have been ignored.

If you Sydney folk get anything organised I'll come along (depending on the date). Might be able to drag some of the DHBC crew along as well.

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:20 am

At this very early stage, the notion is a 'demographic centre' start; say Bi-Centennial track, (Merrylands West {High School}~Prospect Res, then along the water supply canal, somewhere for light refreshments>return to vehicles).
Early Sunday morn start.
Theory being is it may even out the journey times for a far flung bunch. But, early days, and open to suggestions. M7 cycleway certainly an alternative, though a less scenic ride.
I'm out for this coming w/end, at least, but feel free to kick it off...

Thread jacked in a good way, Paul. :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Hey harcs, just noticed your comment about the Noosa L'Eroica in the other thread, thought you (and others) would like to know that while a date hasn't been confirmed as yet, it is definitely going ahead again this year, and should be held at the Noosa Marina again. There's some talk of different routes this year.

I've got a 1978 Viscount Sebring about 1/4 ready so far, will also have a 70s BSA Tour of Britain, half a dozen of the bikes i showed last year, and if time permits i want to build up something special, with the sort of over the top attention to detail you see at NAHBS. Should be fun :) .

EDIT: and by the way there is a Facebook page "Noosa L'Eroica bike ride", and a dedicated website noosa-eroica.com.au (i started and update the FB page but am not one of the organisers).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

frailer5

Postby frailer5 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Saro28 and I have conversed. Plan goes something like this:
-there'll be a thread in 'NSW', notated clearly enough as an open-ended group ride in Sydney, most likely early Sundays, (but could be Saturdays on occasion as well, if a few want to).
-for older bikes/(probably) older riders. We won't be ageist though if there are 20-somethings who are into classic steel. :lol: Pace>sedate/social.
-plan to keep the thread there active as a weekly update on what rides/dates over the coming few weekends at any time. It will be an ongoing organising point.
-others please flag your interest over there. :)

-oh, critical mass is 2. :D

This should effectively break this topic to and fro away from here.

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:57 pm

frailer5 wrote:Saro28 and I have conversed. Plan goes something like this:
-there'll be a thread in 'NSW', notated clearly enough as an open-ended group ride in Sydney, most likely early Sundays, (but could be Saturdays on occasion as well, if a few want to).
-for older bikes/(probably) older riders. We won't be ageist though if there are 20-somethings who are into classic steel. :lol: Pace>sedate/social.
-plan to keep the thread there active as a weekly update on what rides/dates over the coming few weekends at any time. It will be an ongoing organising point.
-others please flag your interest over there. :)

-oh, critical mass is 2. :D

This should effectively break this topic to and fro away from here.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=61622

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:41 am

Not hijacking this thread.....

=>> Have noticed in the "BNA NSW Thread" the "Retro Rides Newcastle".../Huntervalley is not getting much love?

MatZac has proposed date & time

Those keen?......Post rely over there in the NSW Forum Thread
=>>BNA "Retro Rides Newcastle"

Rob.