29er as a Road and Single-track Tourer

RonK

Re: 29er as a Road and Single-track Tourer

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Have nothing to add as I know nothing about this subject, yet.... But WoW that is one sweet ride.

RonK had a look at some of your touring threads, your quite the inspiration. Maybe when I get some long service leave.
Yes, Commotion bikes are very highly regarded. And are made on the US, which why they cost more.

I'm pleased you have enjoyed my journals, and I'd encourage you to give touring a try. I've enjoyed some wonderful times (and some challenging ones).
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:45 pm

RonK wrote: Tsk, tsk, tsk. Why is it that people persist with the idea that using drop bars means they are compelled to use the lowest position?

Most tourists with drop bars would rarely ride in the drops, and mostly use the multiple hand positions along the tops, where the riding position need be no lower than with flat bars.

I dislike flats. Even with bar ends there are not enough hand positions to relieve discomfort. But since I rarely use the drops, I'm considering bullhorns to replace the flats on my Van Nicholas, these will give me the same multiple hand positions without the drops.
Really are bull horns not the equalivant of flats with bar ends (stem dependent).
As for drop handlebars, if your not going to use the drops, why have all that redundant real-estate on the bike? Once you've your cockpit loaded with what ever is your choice of paraphernalia, other than using the drops, what multiple hand positions are there compared to flats (of the same width)? I suspect that its a retro grouch love of the ascetics and a perception of how a "proper" bike should look. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

simonw...

Postby simonw... » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Hello Andrew (?), Simon here, visiting the site for the first time.

I ride a Surley Ogre, setup with a Surley rear panier rack. I have no problems with clearance between feet and panier bags. The Orgre frame gives one sufficient clearance and mounting points for a rear disk and rear panier rack. Currently have 700 x 42C tyres, but there is plenty of room for wider tyres.

Simon

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:13 am

simonw... wrote:Hello Andrew (?), Simon here, visiting the site for the first time.

I ride a Surley Ogre, setup with a Surley rear panier rack. I have no problems with clearance between feet and panier bags. The Orgre frame gives one sufficient clearance and mounting points for a rear disk and rear panier rack. Currently have 700 x 42C tyres, but there is plenty of room for wider tyres.

Simon
Hi Simon,
welcome to the forum :!: Andrews asleep dreaming about trip tropping across secluded bridges to see if an Ogre or Troll comes out :wink:
Now with a bold statement of ownership of one of the more interesting bikes out there, how bout some pics? Did you buy as a fully build or as a frame?
Tell us more or unlike Andrew, in this house at least there will be no sleep :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:44 pm

rifraf wrote:Really are bull horns not the equalivant of flats with bar ends (stem dependent).
No, they are not - even with the Ergon grips and long Ergon bar ends fitted the flat bars have only three hand positions. :(
rifraf wrote:As for drop handlebars, if your not going to use the drops, why have all that redundant real-estate on the bike?
Hence my consideration of bull horns. 8) Similar to this setup, which replicates the tops and hood positions without the drops.
rifraf wrote:Once you've your cockpit loaded with what ever is your choice of paraphernalia, other than using the drops, what multiple hand positions are there compared to flats (of the same width)?
Apart from Boofhead the freeloader, no paraphernalia, but four basic hand positions and an infinite number of in between positions on the tops of the bars. And these bars are narrower than the flats. :shock:
I find the smooth bends the most comfortable hand position, but use all of the tops and the hoods to vary the pressure on my wrists and hands.
rifraf wrote: I suspect that its a retro grouch love of the ascetics and a perception of how a "proper" bike should look. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Retro grouch? Riding a titanium/carbon touring bike? With bullhorn handlebars? Perhaps not. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:00 pm

RonK wrote:even with the Ergon grips and long Ergon bar ends fitted the flat bars have only three hand positions.
I can get five position variations out of mine :idea:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:14 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:As for drop handlebars, if your not going to use the drops, why have all that redundant real-estate on the bike?
Hence my consideration of bull horns. 8) Similar to this setup, which replicates the tops and hood positions without the drops.

rifraf wrote: I suspect that its a retro grouch love of the ascetics and a perception of how a "proper" bike should look. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Retro grouch? Riding a titanium/carbon touring bike? With bullhorn handlebars? Perhaps not. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oww - just remembered. I bought some bull horns for the Moulton ages ago. It was close to a xmas and there was a long wait with lots of hanging around the mailbox when the postie was due. When finally they arrived, I was highly miffed to discover they were much fatter than my MTB bars and not only would they not fit my stem, but from memory my brakes and shifters wouldnt mount. Caution Will Robinson springs to mind :!:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Ah yes, the good old Profile road TT bars - 31.8mm. I got caught out buying a pair of those for the stokers bars on our tandem :|
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:13 pm

il padrone wrote:Ah yes, the good old Profile road TT bars - 31.8mm. I got caught out buying a pair of those for the stokers bars on our tandem :|
No. I have 42mm wide Nitto RB-018 bullhorns, 26mm in diameter to fit a standard stem. Paul Thumbies and Reverse brake levers fit nicely.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:44 pm

RonK wrote:
il padrone wrote:Ah yes, the good old Profile road TT bars - 31.8mm. I got caught out buying a pair of those for the stokers bars on our tandem :|
No. I have 42mm wide Nitto RB-018 bullhorns, 26mm in diameter to fit a standard stem. Paul Thumbies and Reverse brake levers fit nicely.
We'll just sit here quietly awaiting the pics :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:46 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:Read Neil Gunton's lenghty crazyguyonabike thread about the Fargo. It shimmied, and he got rid of it quickly.
Good to be able to cross one off my list of possibles - thank you Ronk :D
I am not discounting them that quickly ... seems a few happy riders in this thread at BikeForums for example.

Andrew
You did tell me, but I've forgotten your frame size
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Salsa-Fargo- ... 20ce342a95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just put that up to make you drool :P

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:29 am

rifraf wrote:You did tell me, but I've forgotten your frame size
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Salsa-Fargo- ... 20ce342a95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just put that up to make you drool :P
Pretty sure that would be too big for me both in frame size and price :)

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 am

rifraf wrote:Just put that up to make you drool :P
Been in a stack.... bent the down-tube. Offer him $100 for it

:wink: :P
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:54 pm

il padrone wrote:
rifraf wrote:Just put that up to make you drool :P
Been in a stack.... bent the down-tube. Offer him $100 for it

:wink: :P
LOL - I'm sure the owner would love that offer and description :lol: :lol: :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:35 am

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:
We'll just sit here quietly awaiting the pics :D
Well, don't hold your breath. I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Rohloff Speedhub and I'm not at all convinced that I'll keep the Van Nix - so I may put just them for aside another bike build.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:21 pm

RonK wrote: Well, don't hold your breath. I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Rohloff Speedhub and I'm not at all convinced that I'll keep the Van Nix - so I may put just them for aside another bike build.
I think you may be just a serial bike builder :)

omo

Postby omo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:58 am

New(ish) here, I have been running a Niner SIR9 as a touring bike in various guises. It has been run with a Rohloff, SS or normally geared. Depending on the terrain as a rigid bike or with a front fork. I like the flexibility of the Niner, it is kind of my Lego bike, always changing it.
For touring I really like the On-One Fleegle bars.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:32 am

I missed this post. :oops:
Welcome Omo to the forum.
Love your bike - looks the bizo :!:
I think I read another of your posts suggesting you like SS?
Oh and you just sold your Rohloff - wow!
You too like Ron being underwhelmed by it?
Whilst I cant imagine myself getting on with a SS I can admire those who can - good on ya for having an interesting choice.
I'm too old and fat to be lugging it up hills and rises and love my Moultons low 16.7 inch gear for creeping up them.
Does your bike have rack mounts on the rear in case you ever fancied panniers?
Cheers
Aidan :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:30 pm

Wont be too long and I'll have those answers first hand with regards the Rohloff.
A Surly Ogre order went through this morning after an email from Jenson informing me they now sell the frames in black.
Also coming in that order is some silver 36H Dyad rims to match silver spokes and polished alloy Rohloff/Son28 disk hubs.
Seatpost and stem will be black, Tubus Cosmo in SS, Black Brooks saddle with copper rivets all go towards the aesthetics.
I'm hopeful the relatively light Dyad rims matched with CX-Ray spokes will help somewhat alleviate the burden of the packages
weighty 4130 stovepiping and heavy hubs. I'll have to research tyres carefully to try to find the balance between weight and puncture proof
due to the problematic rear wheel removal of this particular frameset. I'm looking forward to getting the project underway. :D

After some encouragement here I did consider the 18" frameset which would have enabled the possibility of reaching some drop bars allowing more possibilities
for hand positioning. After looking at many photos oniine including all the threads in http://forums.mtbr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about Ogres (theres a few), I came to the conclusion I didnt like both the necessary seatpost height nor handlebar height and stem spacers needed to make this work.

Going for the large (20) I'll be stepping way out of my comfort zone with the Ogres long, in my opinion, effective top tube at 616.3mm. For many years now I've been riding a bike with an ETT of 55.5cm so I'm going to feel very stretched out.
I'll be looking to buy the shortest reach stem with the tallest angle available and making my seattube a straight version rather than one with setback.
My measurement between the BB spindle and saddletop of approx 73cm also factored into this decision. I'll be using the same length, 170mm, cranks as my current bike.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:37 pm

rifraf wrote:Wont be too long and I'll have those answers first hand with regards the Rohloff.
A Surly Ogre order went through this morning after an email from Jenson informing me they now sell the frames in black.
Sounds like a July tour needs to be planned ... maybe the Holland Track will put it to the test :)

Andrew

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:28 pm

I have previously missed this thread but have a Gen1 Fargo.

I use it for my run around commuter and single track bike. Runs a Surly rear pannier and Ortlieb rear bags.

The Woodchippers are gold. Ride on the hoods and tops for just generally punting around, but hit a head wind or a good long descent and the drops are very much appreciated.

I am very happy with the Fargo only wish I had the Gen2.

- David.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:18 am

DavidL wrote:I have previously missed this thread but have a Gen1 Fargo.

I use it for my run around commuter and single track bike. Runs a Surly rear pannier and Ortlieb rear bags.

The Woodchippers are gold. Ride on the hoods and tops for just generally punting around, but hit a head wind or a good long descent and the drops are very much appreciated.

I am very happy with the Fargo only wish I had the Gen2.

- David.
Hi David,
how bout a pic and telling us, if you know, what the differences are between the different generation Fargo's :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Sounds like a July tour needs to be planned ... maybe the Holland Track will put it to the test :)

Andrew
Sounds like a great idea :D

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Here is a pic. of it that I also put on your Ogre thread.

Difference between Gen1 and Gen2:
- Replaceable alloy rear mech. hanger on Gen2, integrated steel one on the Gen1
- Lower headset high and suspension fork corrected on the Gen2
- Colours changed on Gen2, Gen1 only came in funboy green I think it is called.
- Cage mounts changed on the forks on the Gen2 for the Anything Cage, doesn't fit on the Gen1

Rest of the changes where just groupset/component changes.

Might be about time for a current photo of it with panniers, will get around to that when I get home from business travel.

- David.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 pm

DavidL wrote:Here is a pic. of it that I also put on your Ogre thread.

Difference between Gen1 and Gen2:
- Replaceable alloy rear mech. hanger on Gen2, integrated steel one on the Gen1
- Lower headset high and suspension fork corrected on the Gen2
- Colours changed on Gen2, Gen1 only came in funboy green I think it is called.
- Cage mounts changed on the forks on the Gen2 for the Anything Cage, doesn't fit on the Gen1

Rest of the changes where just groupset/component changes.

Might be about time for a current photo of it with panniers, will get around to that when I get home from business travel.

- David.
Hi David
Look forward to more pics - never seem to get sick of looking at touring capable bikes and their set ups.
Good to know the difference between the generations.
I'm sure Andrew will enjoy knowing that as he was looking at a Fargo as a possibility and is comfortable with drops.
Replaceable alloy rear mech. hanger is a thoughtful upgrade which I wish the Ogres had, but as I'm going Rohloff it hopefully wont be an issue.
Do you ride much tarmac with those tyres and how are they wearing?
Cheers
Aidan :D