queescliffe railtrail

drewm

queescliffe railtrail

Postby drewm » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:15 pm

trying to find out if the trail from queenscliffe -Geelong is suitable for a road bike or is just for hybrid/mtb type bike?

regards drew

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: queescliffe railtrail

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Havent ridden it for a while. IIRC correctly its unsealed in sections but reasonably well compacted so you can do it on a roadie but will probably need to take it easy through the unsealed sections, don't hold me to that though :P
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Summernight

Re: Queenscliffe railtrail

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Probably better to do on a hybrid/mountain bike, IMO although may depend on what speed you intend to go. Like im_no_pro has said, if on a road bike you may need to take it easy.

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Last time I rode it, it wasn't suitable for roadies, Drew, but either of the roads along the coast between Geelong and Queenscliff (via Barwon Heads or Port Arlington) are fine rides.

drewm

Postby drewm » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 pm

thx Guys will consider the options.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:22 am

I ride it quite regularly.....the Geelong end is sealed and smooth Tarmac......there are some sketchy bits once you get past Drysdale where there are some sections of loose gravel.....

My buddy uses his cyclo-cross bike down there on Schwalbe Marathon Pluses just fine, the skinny tyres are fun through the gravelly bits.....full on MTB is very much overkill.....

Can flood a bit after heavy rain.....had water over my BB on my 29er after heavy rain on one section of the trail .

It's a fun ride.....l

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:34 pm

I've ridden it quite happily on our tandem with two aboard on 32mm tyres. 23s might get sketchy a little but if you've got decent handling skills you should be fine. I would even be prepared to ride it on my roadie with the skinny 19mm tyres it has. Ride conservatively and avoid sprint-style swerves in the softer gravel; also keep the tyres up to good pressure.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."