Bee sting

rider_1

Bee sting

Postby rider_1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Guys,

I got a bad experience with bee,
Being stung for two weeks straight...

What should I do for avoiding those bees ?
Because it suddenly appeared onto me and stung...
one near my eye, (entering my glass) and another one one my thigh...

Any idea ?

Cheers and happy riding
Visit My website
Looking for a road bike riding partners around Gosnells,WA

il padrone

Re: Bee sting

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi

I have no real solutions for bee stings on a bike ride. I'd suggest you've just had a run of bad luck. I've been riding for many years and have never had a sting while riding, although a couple of years ago I did get a wasp sting. You probably won't get another for 10 years.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:42 pm

Personally I avoid dripping the honey from my sandwich all over me...... :? :lol:

Seriously though? Surely most adults can figure out bees themselves....

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Do you wear yellow?

In my experience yellow attracts bees.

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:25 pm

I've only been stung once and that was right on the chin. Same as you I was just riding and then bang it got me.

Sounds like you have had some very bad luck to me to get done twice so close together.

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Postieboy wrote:I've only been stung once and that was right on the chin. Same as you I was just riding and then bang it got me.

Sounds like you have had some very bad luck to me to get done twice so close together.
Yes that's right a bad luck, 2 rides and 2 stings....
Visit My website

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:39 pm

citywomble wrote:Do you wear yellow?

In my experience yellow attracts bees.
I did, but the first one on my thigh, it was black and blue bibshort, how come they were interested with black ??

Do you guys have any solutions to avoid ? or it's just pure bad luck for me...

Two weeks in the row, I got swollen on my thigh and the last couple of days on my cheek, near my right eye...
Visit My website

hkgts

Postby hkgts » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:39 am

I'm almost certain that the canning river bush land in gosnells has a very healthy population of bees. Can't say I live/ride in the area but I'm aware of the bees. Is it possible that the environment you ride in puts you more at risk, if so, perhaps think about avoiding the river area or known hot spots?

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:23 am

I got pinged by one near the Fiona Stanley hospital last month.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:21 am

I get stung a couple of times a week in spring where I live... bugs can be so bad at times you can't ride with your mouth open. Luckily I don't have to wear a helmet also as that is a great bug trap!.
Usually it doesn't bother me except on the thighs for so reason.
I don't think there is much you can do to avoid it.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:52 am

Ding your bell, call 'passing', give a good amount of clearance and you should avoid bee stings in the future. Unless they're wearing headphones, in which case you're in trouble - no knowing what they'll do.

Personally I believe all bees should be registered if they're going to use shared pathway facilities.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:29 am

Just bad luck mate. I'd never been stung on a bike by a bee until late last year. Then I managed to get stung in the mouth by a bumble bee, and then a second one two weeks later on a shin last spring. I was wearing different clothing each time, and was on completely different sections of roads.

The warmer the day, the more active insects tend to be. If you can ride during the early morning when it tends to be cooler, you'll probably have fewer insect encounters, but realistically it's out of your control
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 am

hkgts wrote:I'm almost certain that the canning river bush land in gosnells has a very healthy population of bees. Can't say I live/ride in the area but I'm aware of the bees. Is it possible that the environment you ride in puts you more at risk, if so, perhaps think about avoiding the river area or known hot spots?
I got sting at Bentley.....just in front of canning college and the other one at pickering brook, near the primary school....
hopefully I will get a clean ride this weekend..
Visit My website

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:32 am

rangersac wrote:Just bad luck mate. I'd never been stung on a bike by a bee until late last year. Then I managed to get stung in the mouth by a bumble bee, and then a second one two weeks later on a shin last spring. I was wearing different clothing each time, and was on completely different sections of roads.

The warmer the day, the more active insects tend to be. If you can ride during the early morning when it tends to be cooler, you'll probably have fewer insect encounters, but realistically it's out of your control
I encountered those bees around 9-10AM.....may be they attracted to my color..
Visit My website

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:20 am

rider_1 wrote:
I encountered those bees around 9-10AM.....may be they attracted to my color..
By any chance, have you just started riding, R1?

There are a lot of random things that can happen but you shouldn't let them spoil a day - you'd have to think insects usually fall into that category.

You may encounter some magpies later this year whose attacks are very deliberate (if defensive in origin) . :smile:

Karati

Postby Karati » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Pretty sure that bees see ultra violet. Maybe there is something in that and what you wear while riding?

Personally I have been stung by a bee once in my entire life and never while riding my bike. So i think you were just unlucky.

Now that I have said that I'm sure I'm going to get stung on the way home!!

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:51 pm

surely someone can make a bee smoker that sits into a cage. would make for a cool effect as you rid3 along, or could look like you are smoking out your ass.

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 pm

tubby74 wrote:surely someone can make a bee smoker that sits into a cage. would make for a cool effect as you rid3 along, or could look like you are smoking out your ass.
could be...hehehe
Visit My website

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Been stung twice on the bike
first got me between sunglasses and helmet, GAWD that hurt. I had to stop and wait for the pain to settle down before I could carry on. I'm mildy allergic to all insect bites/stings and the bites/stings are typically twice the size of everyday ppl and my histamine levels go shooting up.
Next time was years later when I was on tour. Now I go thru a bee swarm and don't get stung, but I'm in an area with no living trees for km's and next thing BAM gets me on my inner thigh. LIKE comeon there are no flowers here for miles. I was between Coolgardie and Widgiemoothla. But it was timing, I was wanting to stop to get a bite to eat so that forced me to
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Been stung twice on the bike
first got me between sunglasses and helmet, GAWD that hurt. I had to stop and wait for the pain to settle down before I could carry on. I'm mildy allergic to all insect bites/stings and the bites/stings are typically twice the size of everyday ppl and my histamine levels go shooting up.
Next time was years later when I was on tour. Now I go thru a bee swarm and don't get stung, but I'm in an area with no living trees for km's and next thing BAM gets me on my inner thigh. LIKE comeon there are no flowers here for miles. I was between Coolgardie and Widgiemoothla. But it was timing, I was wanting to stop to get a bite to eat so that forced me to
same experience with me, I got it on my inner thigh...so painfull, I stopped a little while before I can ride again and last week hit inside my glasses and hit my cheek...I directly pulled out the bee and threw to the road, so the sting was not yet inside my skin but it had torn my skin and injected the poison, painfull, lucky I can hold the pain all the way from pickering brook untill home....
Visit My website

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:21 pm

rider_1 wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:but I'm in an area with no living trees for km's and next thing BAM gets me on my inner thigh.
same experience with me, I got it on my inner thigh...so painfull,
Guys, sounds like those bees were chasing your 'flowers' :mrgreen:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rider_1

Postby rider_1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:26 pm

il padrone wrote:
rider_1 wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:but I'm in an area with no living trees for km's and next thing BAM gets me on my inner thigh.
same experience with me, I got it on my inner thigh...so painfull,
Guys, sounds like those bees were chasing your 'flowers' :mrgreen:
hahahahaha
luckily not hitting my "flower", it could have been a female bee....hahahahaha
Visit My website

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:27 pm

I don't know how the bee got past my ortlieb handbar bag and my front panniers... Another small gap a bee got thru
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

redned

Postby redned » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:30 pm

Dan wrote:Ding your bell, call 'passing', give a good amount of clearance and you should avoid bee stings in the future. Unless they're wearing headphones, in which case you're in trouble - no knowing what they'll do.

Personally I believe all bees should be registered if they're going to use shared pathway facilities.
But Dan you should have seen them, they were all over the road and I didn't know where they were going, so I tooted my horn at them to get them into their proper lane and they followed me to my work and became aggressive.

And what is it with that black and yellow lycra?

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:40 pm

I rode into a swarm on Mt Keira a few years ago. Just ducked down low and carried on to the top and then turned for home. I got stung on the back of my neck in the driveway after I stopped. Little bugger had been sitting on my collar.