Am I better than my bike?

sli123

Am I better than my bike?

Postby sli123 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:15 pm

Not that there's anything wrong with this, but some cyclists have heaps of talent and ride pretty average bikes while other cyclists with average ability are riding dream machines.

I'm thinking I'm reasonably well matched with my ride, which was probably considered a mid/decent range spec road bike in 2009 (Bianchi 928 B4P Mono Q full carbon with Ultegra/FSA components).

So, how do you rate yourself and your bike?

Crowz

Re: Am I better than my bike?

Postby Crowz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:03 pm

I'd rate myself on par with my bike. 1989 Repco Eurosport rockin' Shimano 105.

roller

Postby roller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:09 pm

i like my bike, my bike likes me
inflammatory statement or idea

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:14 pm

My bike is more faithful to me than I am of her. So yes, my bike is better than me.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:31 pm

I ride and race in C grade on a Giant Defy 2011 with 105 running gear and fulcrum race 7's (more like training 7's). In the racing world it is rubbish machine but I love it and the only thing still slowing it down is me....

richbee

Postby richbee » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:29 am

I'm a MAMIL with all the grear and no idea

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:43 am

I like your question.

When I was shopping around for a new road bike 2 - 3 years ago, I saw a MAMIL easily 30 kg over weight decked out in lycra :shock: wheeling a Pinarello Dogma out of the shop. Fine, I hope he is still enjoying and I wouldn't dream of telling anyone how to spend their money to enjoy themself. But a little light went on over my head and I decided to make sure that my bike wasn't better than me - good enough but not better. I went from a 13 kg steel bike to an 8 kg titanium bike. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's more bike than I need :roll: but, like that man-mountain with his Dogma, I have fun on it.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:46 am

Interesting question .... At my age (retired, no commuting) it's more about enjoying the ride (which includes 'performance' sometimes) and getting home in good enough shape to be able to do 3-4 good rides per week.

My strength is still building after 2.5 years of consistent riding and overall ride times/averages are still improving, even on rides where I feel it's 'easy' rather than 'hard'. I figure as long as they do my bikes are not limiting me in any way.

I don't race or compete per se, so it's only me that cares anyway. I guess I'd like a schmicker new road bike, but I'm not a big spender and I'm also sentimental about the two bikes I do ride so that's enough for me .... for now.

So ... no :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

richbee

Postby richbee » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:54 am

The idea is that you ride the bike you're comfortable with. Saying that a 30kg overweight man cannot ride a Dogma is a bit elitist. If he can afford the bling bike and is happy riding it, what right have we to tell him he can't because he doesn't fit our idea of what type of cyclist can ride what type of bike.

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 am

My bike is better than me :lol:

roller

Postby roller » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 am

richbee wrote:The idea is that you ride the bike you're comfortable with. Saying that a 30kg overweight man cannot ride a Dogma is a bit elitist. If he can afford the bling bike and is happy riding it, what right have we to tell him he can't because he doesn't fit our idea of what type of cyclist can ride what type of bike.
that sort of attitude won't allow people to trott out their grievances/chips-on-shoulders/jealousy about other's peoples bikes.

so, please cut it out.
inflammatory statement or idea

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:05 am

My bike is better than me.
I started back riding again 18 months ago on my 1993 shogun metro se. After 12 months and 4000km, I upgraded to a sora equipped Merida aluminium frame road bike. It is fantastic for where I am... I have lost 23 kg so far, and when I lose another 10kg I am going to make the leap to a carbon framed ultegra bike.
The bike will always be better than me, but I do want to respect the bike I am riding by matching myself as best I can...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:07 am

My bike with all the crap I carry weighs in at 20 kg. One big BSO, but it is a touring bike. All I wanted was some thing strong with decent gears. The VWR does all that I need and I can get up any hills I need to. It gets my heart rate up and is good exercise.
I couldn't see the point of getting a whippets machine when I am 90 kg, and any one can beat me in a race anyway.

I really am thinking of getting some street cred, with a nice expensive Colnago with probably a nice giro hat hanging off it , throwing it on the ute and parking around the corner of the coffee shop. Just wheel it around the front and park it. Sort of make me feel like a real cyclist.
I honestly reckon a bloke should have two good bikes and the training machine should be the heavier model. Then in racing terms the rider will feel like super man on race days. And its all about feel.
I am not trying to be offensive here. :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:13 am

richbee wrote:The idea is that you ride the bike you're comfortable with. Saying that a 30kg overweight man cannot ride a Dogma is a bit elitist. If he can afford the bling bike and is happy riding it, what right have we to tell him he can't because he doesn't fit our idea of what type of cyclist can ride what type of bike.
ausrandom certainly did not say that.

I think he was pointing to the fact that, in that particular case, the bike certainly was better than the rider.
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

westab

Postby westab » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:14 am

Good question - but I have no idea which is better myself or the bike as : "WE ARE ONE". :mrgreen:

I am an average speed commute on a 21 year old Repco Superlite; and it is a pleasure to ride. I realy don't thinks it matters what you as long as you enjoy it and do it. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:28 am

cyclotaur wrote: I think he was pointing to the fact that, in that particular case, the bike certainly was better than the rider.
On what basis?

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:34 am

richbee wrote:Saying that a 30kg overweight man cannot ride a Dogma is a bit elitist.
I would have thought that having all the fat old slow guys riding all the light new fast Pinarello Dogmas is a near-enough definition of elitism... :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:43 am

westab wrote:Good question - but I have no idea which is better myself or the bike as : "WE ARE ONE". :mrgreen:

I am an average speed commute on a 21 year old Repco Superlite; and it is a pleasure to ride. I realy don't thinks it matters what you as long as you enjoy it and do it. :D
YESSS!!! Knows and loves the whole cyborg thing. :D

/thread
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

gdt

Postby gdt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 am

My bike is better than all of you. It's a cheap aluminium frame road bike with a euro label and 105. The frame was ridden in the Tour de France ten years ago, and how many of us here are in the same class as TdF pros?

My point is that you'd have shop shop very contrarily not to get a bike which is better than you. Maybe something from a supermarket.

I'd make an exception for pre-suspension MTBs: you can definitely do better on a MTB course with suspension at quite a low level of skill and fitness.

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 am

you and your bike are one.
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 am

Howzat wrote:
richbee wrote:Saying that a 30kg overweight man cannot ride a Dogma is a bit elitist.
I would have thought that having all the fat old slow guys riding all the light new fast Pinarello Dogmas is a near-enough definition of elitism... :D
It's not elitism, it's legitimate compensation.

Reverse the question, what's a barely out into the work force 20-something, total net worth barely climbing over 5 figures, doing on a $6000 bike? Irrespective of the lean muscle definition, the definition of "too good" needs to be redefined. ;)

AKO

Postby AKO » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 am

My bike is most definitely better than me. And I ride a Malvern Star so..... But honestly just about anything I ride would be equal to or better than my ability.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:04 am

sogood wrote:It's not elitism, it's legitimate compensation.
Yep, this makes more and more sense to me every year. :D

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:24 am

Function over form for me.

IMHO, a $15K bike with a 30kg overweight rider is going to be more fragile than a $3k bike, because the former is effectively specced for a sub 80kg rider, ie. the groupset sacrifices durability for weight. I was the odd-person-out still running 105 back in my C-grade days because others were on DuraAce and some on Di2., but I'm not replacing worn out cassettes and chain rings or breaking bits very often.

On the other side, if you are wealthy and want to buy nice toys - go for it, but people who don't have as much spare cash WILL hold it against you, it's built into us to be competitive (males, anyway).
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 am

my bike is waaaayyyy better than me, but that is exactly what i wanted, i never wanted to be out training or racing and think "if only my bike was a little lighter/faster/stiffer". i ALWAYS want to be the weak link, it gives me something to strive for.

for reference my bike is a trek madone 4.5 with a set of braccianos. i am not super slow, i average 31-33km/h on solo rides. but everytime i ride that bike i KNOW i want to get faster to do it justice.