Revolution for bike lighting....

il padrone

Revolution for bike lighting....

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:26 am

A new development in battery (well really super-capacitor) technology that may lead to far better bike lights..... and lots of other stuff :idea:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Slvr32gtr

Re: Revolution for bike lighting....

Postby Slvr32gtr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:59 am

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. It has some pretty amazing benefits to so many facets of day to day life! As they mention, electric cars could now become a viable option as charging the vehicle at a "service station" could be completed in minutes compared to the current electric cars taking hours. Very excited to see what comes of this!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:17 pm

This technology could change the use of many things and may make electric cars viable, but LED lighting batteries are already pretty small. I think most would agree that bike lights don't need to get much brighter.

Interesting though. Thanks for posting. :)

william

Postby william » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:47 pm

Exciting indeed.

Kerry Staite, excited electrical engineer and cycling fanatic, over Sydney way is developing bicycle lighting systems for endurance riders using dynamo hubs, usb charging systems etc. Further info at klight.com.au or his face book page for updates.
He also has been using capacitors as a battery but they can tend to discharge instantly and that can be a lot of power with devastating results.

Formula one cars have been using them and Mazda are currently using them in their 6 series.

The stand light in your B&M Dynamo headlight uses a capacitor. Small, light and very effective.

Also check out the fabric thin solar recharging units. Excellent for touring. Can be seen on Klite's facebook page.

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:51 pm

My question regarding bike lights is why with all our smarts in 2013 we don't have a USB rechargeable waterproof (100%) light that easily fits to an aero seatpost?

Or even better why not build lights into bikes, especially a bike with a battery already on board like a Di2 setup. From a safety/legal stand point that has to be a winner.

Front lights might be more contenscious. However they would be able to fit a decent sized lighting unit in these new ergo bars - they are pretty chunky. Give us an option, no lights or lights in the bars. Then they can make a standard for bike lights, yes more red tape but something like propoer lights are adding far more safety than a foam hat, (and I like my foam hat).

JM

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Sydguy wrote:Or even better why not build lights into bikes, especially a bike with a battery already on board like a Di2 setup. From a safety/legal stand point that has to be a winner.
Sounds like you need the Vanmoof. Front and rear lights, and a lock, built into the frame :wink:

Mandatory helmet law?

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:41 pm

I'd like to get a Van Moof frame and rip out the lights and replace them with cameras.
Plus new wheels and stuff.

Time

gdt

Postby gdt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 am

Sydguy wrote:Or even better why not build lights into bikes
I am not sure that makes sense. Current progress in LED lighting and batteries makes a light superceeded after 2-3 years on the bike.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 am

il padrone wrote:Sounds like you need the Vanmoof. Front and rear lights, and a lock, built into the frame :wink:

I must be blind but where is the lock on the frame?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:14 am

Summernight wrote:I must be blind but where is the lock on the frame?
It pulls out of that diagonal strut

Mandatory helmet law?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:59 am

il padrone wrote:
Summernight wrote:I must be blind but where is the lock on the frame?
It pulls out of that diagonal strut

Whoa. Freaky.
That New York bicycle locking expert would have a fit with that locking technique and would give them an 'F'. :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Summernight wrote:That New York bicycle locking expert would have a fit with that locking technique and would give them an 'F'. :lol:
Not sure why you'd say that. The Neistat brothers have showed us that any lock is simply a deterrent to shake off the joy-rider. Society hardly blinks at the brazen, determined thief and no lock is unbreakable, given time.

Mandatory helmet law?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 pm

Nobody wrote:This technology could change the use of many things and may make electric cars viable, but LED lighting batteries are already pretty small. I think most would agree that bike lights don't need to get much brighter.

Interesting though. Thanks for posting. :)
+1.

And it is certainly interesting, though not surprising as the advances in technology, like so many others, has been tootling along for some time now. Particularly for a range of other applications.

I wonder how long it will be before we have solar-collector capable house paint. Now THAT will be huge.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:05 pm

It is 2013, surely we can have an 8kg carbon road bike with inbuilt light systems!

Wonder why this has not been looked at from safety point of view - see plenty of bike ninjas around. surely some kind of lighting standard would benefit motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.

Sure cave a ton of $ on cheap plastic lights.

JM

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:07 pm

il padrone wrote:
Summernight wrote:That New York bicycle locking expert would have a fit with that locking technique and would give them an 'F'. :lol:
Not sure why you'd say that. The Neistat brothers have showed us that any lock is simply a deterrent to shake off the joy-rider. Society hardly blinks at the brazen, determined thief and no lock is unbreakable, given time.

You are correct that it won't stop a determined thief, however the thinking (from the videos I've seen by the UK Police and the New York man who 'grades' locking technique) is to make sure to lock the frame and both wheels (as well as the seat if you want a seat to ride home on). This is to deter opportunistic thieves, not hardcore targeted thefts. You will lose the bike to a determined thief, but you may just have two wheels and a seat to ride home on if it is just an opportunistic thief that comes by and sees the wheels/seat/whatever are nice, but locked.

EDIT: I love the concerned citizen at the end.... helping them to break the lock. :lol:

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Nobody wrote:This technology could change the use of many things and may make electric cars viable, but LED lighting batteries are already pretty small. I think most would agree that bike lights don't need to get much brighter.
Hey, never say never.

Whilst lights are an aspect to the issue, I can see how it'll come in handy in eBike designs. No more 15-20kg eBikes but weight-weenie 8kg. With a bit of a compact push, I can see cycling really take off in Sydney.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:18 pm

Sydguy wrote:It is 2013, surely we can have an 8kg carbon road bike with inbuilt light systems!

Wonder why this has not been looked at from safety point of view
Because European teams don't race at night :idea:
Mandatory helmet law?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:28 pm

sogood wrote:
Hey, never say never.

Whilst lights are an aspect to the issue, I can see how it'll come in handy in eBike designs. No more 15-20kg eBikes but weight-weenie 8kg. With a bit of a compact push, I can see cycling really take off in Sydney.
8kg e-bike? Yes, please. :)

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Sydguy wrote:Or even better why not build lights into bikes,
JM,

Not exactly what your talking about, but getting closer:

LightSKIN

- David.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:30 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
I wonder how long it will be before we have solar-collector capable house paint. Now THAT will be huge.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-30/r ... ls/2777532" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Summernight wrote:No more 15-20kg eBike
It would be quite an advance to get to 15-20kg electric bikes.

Or maybe they could paint the bikes with that CSIRO solar cell paint. You'd have trouble stopping the thing on a sunny day.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:56 pm

Howzat wrote:
Summernight wrote:No more 15-20kg eBike
It would be quite an advance to get to 15-20kg electric bikes.

Or maybe they could paint the bikes with that CSIRO solar cell paint. You'd have trouble stopping the thing on a sunny day.
I didn't write that one, SoGood did. But I would also love a solar cell painted 8kg e-bike. XP

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:26 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I wonder how long it will be before we have solar-collector capable house paint. Now THAT will be huge.
I think they are working on something similar.
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/50 ... ar-panels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plenty of other types both in R&D stage and also in production.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&a ... as_rights=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;