Finally I have a Project

Milar

Finally I have a Project

Postby Milar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:45 pm

I found an old Centurian Signet in the curb side clean up last weekend :D. Over all pretty good nick and is my size so I now have a frame for my rite of passage to having a fixie project! I'll start as single speed to see how I enjoy it and want to get it on the road relatively cheaply before pimping it out!
Frame has been mostly stripped (except drive side crank which has a damaged thread so I can’t use the crank puller - but I can swing a hammer! :)).
Salvageable: levers, calipers, stem, seat post, bars.
In my collection I have 52/42 biopace chainrings with 105 square taper cranks. A set of unused 700c wheels (Mavic CXP22 with a 10sp freehub). I plan to buy new brake cables and outers, sq taper bottom bracket, fixie conversion kit, chain (PC1), bartape. I plan to run it 42-16 with some 28mm tyres I have (will need to check they fit first!).
I was looking at this conversion kit.
Anything in my plan that won't work?

ldrcycles

Re: Finally I have a Project

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 pm

2 things i can add, if you have a headset spanner you can just undo the driveside BB cup with the crank still on there, much easier than cutting the cranks off (although you can do that too, nothing stopping you).

And depending on your area and riding preference, i would normally think of 42-16 as being too short, that was what i had on my first singlespeed and i hated it, you spin like mad and get nowhere on the flat. I've tried 52-16 too though and that was seriously hard work anytime the road went up. 52-18 might be ok if you're in a flat area? My current singlespeed is 46-16 and that is a very good all round gear, comfortable at 36-38kmh and it'll get up most hills unless they're particularly steep and long. If I was doing more flat than hills i would prefer a 48-16.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Milar

Postby Milar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:30 pm

ldrcycles wrote:if you have a headset spanner you can just undo the driveside BB cup with the crank still on there
No, but I needed one a couple of months ago too so I think it's time I did some more shopping. :D
ldrcycles wrote:i would normally think of 42-16 as being too short
Good point, this makes 70.2". I rode home on my commuter last night in 48-18 (71.4") and was spinning a bit on the flats but fairly comfortable on the hills and decided I could live with it. So tonight I rode home in 48-16 (80.3"), much nicer on the flats at ~34kmh but a bit of a grind uphill. Starting at the lights on a hill was the worst part but I managed it OK so I'm thinking 42-14 (also 80.3") might be the best option and I will get have to get a bit stronger on the climbs :D

Can I use my existing QR skewer on the rear OK or do I need something stronger?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Milar wrote: Can I use my existing QR skewer on the rear OK or do I need something stronger?
This seems to be a fairly common misconception out there, that you need a bolt up axle on a singlespeed. The thing is, someone on a MTB slogging up a steep climb in their granny gear (say 22-32) is putting WAY more strain on things out the back (because of the gearing) than even Cavendish could with typical singlespeed gearing. Your normal QR will hold things just fine and dandy, and then you don't have to carry a 15mm spanner with you all the time.

Re gearing, i do have to add that the stronger you get, the more singlespeed works, when i first started off it was very tough and a real love/hate thing but as the strength has improved i enjoy riding the singlespeed more and more. On the right road it is unbeatable, all of my fastest times on a local climb are on my 12kg steel singlespeed, not the carbon fibre race machine :) .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dan

Finally I have a Project

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:51 pm

I have just the chainring and sprocket conversion kit you need. There's a WTS in the marketplace, or pm me. Looks like a great project!

Dan

Milar

Postby Milar » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Dan wrote:I have just the chainring and sprocket conversion kit you need. There's a WTS in the marketplace, or pm me. Looks like a great project!
I'm not sure it's a good idea PMing you at the moment, I'm afraid I'll end up buying a nice looking 57cm Europa and my wife just doesn't understand :wink:

I like the sound of 44-15 setup for my area so could well be interested, then when my guns are massive I'll switch to the 13 :lol:. I'll check the BCD of my crank tonight and let you know.

ldr, thanks for the clarification on QR's, much as I hoped.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Have PM'd you Milar.