Thumb shifters with a 31.8mm clamp

Paddles

Thumb shifters with a 31.8mm clamp

Postby Paddles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Other than the Paul Engineering ones, has anyone come across a mountain bike gear shifter that has a 31.8mm clamp?

find_bruce

Re: Thumb shifters with a 31.8mm clamp

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Care to explain what you don't like about the paul engineering thumbies ?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:59 pm

There's nothing I don't like about them Bruce, I'm looking for something to put on the top of a set of Ragley Luxy bars and they look like they're just what I need and well engineered to boot. I was just seeing if anyone knew of anything else similar as I can't seem to find any competition for the Paul Thumbies.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 pm

Thumb shifters with a 31.8 clamp?

My first question is 'the fork on a bike that old still safe enough to be riden on?'
Vegan since 2001.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:06 pm

durianrider wrote:Thumb shifters with a 31.8 clamp?

My first question is 'the fork on a bike that old still safe enough to be riden on?'
Didn't you know everything old is new again - bars that are 31.mm in the clamp area are quite common on modern bikes. Paddles wants to put them on the top section of his Ragley Luxy bars sp that he ends up with something along the lines of
via Bike Radar
Paddles wrote:There's nothing I don't like about them Bruce, I'm looking for something to put on the top of a set of Ragley Luxy bars and they look like they're just what I need and well engineered to boot. I was just seeing if anyone knew of anything else similar as I can't seem to find any competition for the Paul Thumbies.
You are talking a pretty niche market paddles. I have seen a few thumbies for 22 mm bars but the only ones I have seen in 31.8 mm are the Pauls.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:45 pm

Yep, that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve Bruce. I've actually ended up ordering the Paul ones and also a set of adapters to use downtube shifters on them.

I'm currently using some cheap Sunrace thumb shifters down on the ends of the drops and whilst I don't mind them and they also work brilliantly, my wife doesn't like the position and has requested drop bars with top mounted thumb shifters for her machine so I bit the bullet and will change both bikes over to Paul thumbies.

The method to the madness is that we mainly use our bikes on paths, roads and dirt track/road so wanted to give the drop bars a go, I did my bike first as an experiment and now both of us have fallen in love with the riding position. To answer durianrider's question re the forks, my wife's rockshox ones are ok so we'll keep them for now, but my poor 10 year old manitou's were shagged so I replaced them with a surly 1x1 rigid with the 100mm suspension height adjustment, the result is a tough as nails, comfortable, pavement and dirt road machine without going to the expense of replacing our bikes.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:20 am

RetroShift is another option

Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Paddles

Postby Paddles » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:18 am

wow SBD, they look cool, i've not seen them before. i steered away from brifter style shifters because i thought the shifting ratios/pulls was different between mountain bikes and road bikes, but i've never seen a friction style shifter on the front of a brake lever before.