Moron Motorists #3

Aushiker

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:17 pm

il padrone wrote:Here's a comparison video for you Andrew.
Thanks. I think I prefer the handlebar mount as it provides a more stable video. May try a chest mount but.

Andrew
Andrew

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Thanks. I think I prefer the handlebar mount as it provides a more stable video. May try a chest mount but.

Andrew

You know you want ALL the mounts

2012 Oppy A4

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:34 pm

il padrone wrote:Here's a comparison video for you Andrew.

I am assuming that is an overseas video where riders ride on the right? The handlebar mount in that video is set up on the left of the stem.

I also like the handlebar mount but have the chest mount for when the GoPro handlebar mount snaps (if I ever get my GoPro back from its maker that is).
If anyone decides to use a handlebar mount I would suggest placing the handlebar mount on the right of the stem (looking forwards) if you don't put it in the centre because it puts the camera closer to the side that motorists would be passing in Australia - putting it on the left of the stem (for Australian roads) seems to give a feeling (at least in the videos that I've seen) that there was more space between the cars and you than there really was.

Of course from my short period of time actually having the GoPro I think it might also be beneficial if you're using cameras for evidentiary purposes to have a helmet cam (I'm thinking the small 808s so as not to have too bulky a camera on the helmet) and/or rear-facing camera to complement a handlebar mounted GoPro.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:19 pm

A picture paints a thousand words....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDnMWO0K ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:25 pm

Cowcorner wrote:A picture paints a thousand words....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDnMWO0K ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:o Knows that area well, never seen that before (the over the path to avoid, not the clown without sufficient roadcraft to be in the proper lane at the proper time at that junction :roll: )
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:43 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Cowcorner wrote:A picture paints a thousand words....

:o Knows that area well, never seen that before (the over the path to avoid, not the clown without sufficient roadcraft to be in the proper lane at the proper time at that junction :roll: )
Yep - two for the price of one! 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:18 pm

Interesting video, the car driver must be a cyclist.

Seems just what many cyclists would do if the road is blocked, use the footpath.

Why be surprised? People is people, get over it.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:51 am

citywomble wrote:Interesting video, the car driver must be a cyclist.

Seems just what many cyclists would do if the road is blocked, use the footpath.

Completely agree! I have no problem WHATSOEVER with the motorist who did this.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 am

I'm lucky I'm not any lighter as I would have been 50m or more further infront

Needless to say I think I'm walking into police station with that tomorrow
Last edited by Baalzamon on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:37 am

Baalzamon wrote:I'm lucky I'm not any lighter as I would have been 50m or more further infront
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3E5UjX9 ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
Fixed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3E5UjX9HCE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):

zero

Postby zero » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:49 am

yeah take that one in for sure - thats a moron that even the police will understand.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 am

And I had this less than 1km from home

You can just see the front bumper at the end of the video of the red car when they realised they can't turn cos I'm there. I had seen this car in my rear mirror and it had it's indicator on for the previous street. Looked back again and it had twigged WHOOPS not the street I want and started indicating for the next one

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 pm

human909 wrote:
citywomble wrote:Interesting video, the car driver must be a cyclist.

Completely agree! I have no problem WHATSOEVER with the motorist who did this.
Agree. Your anger should be directed towards the <language> in the red car who is obstructing traffic and trying to do an illegal manoeuvre because he/she are too stupid to be able to drive.

Seriously what is wrong with people? You're in the wrong lane, so what? Go around the block, ffs.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:17 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I'm lucky I'm not any lighter as I would have been 50m or more further infront
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3E5UjX9 ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
Needless to say that the actions of the driver conform with the stereotype that his choice in vehicle has bestowed upon him. Whereabouts was that? Looks so familiar but just can't pick the location.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:23 pm

wellington_street wrote: Needless to say that the actions of the driver conform with the stereotype that his choice in vehicle has bestowed upon him. Whereabouts was that? Looks so familiar but just can't pick the location.
Berrigan Drive in Jandakot.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 pm

wellington_street wrote:Agree. Your anger should be directed towards the <language> in the red car who is obstructing traffic and trying to do an illegal manoeuvre because he/she are too stupid to be able to drive.

Seriously what is wrong with people? You're in the wrong lane, so what? Go around the block, ffs.
While it is quite correct the red car driver is doing an illegal lane change, the location is here, on Footscray Rd. Bear in mind the chances that the driver is from out of town, or just not so confident/familiar with the inner west.

First point - "going round the block" is really not an easy option. It is the on-ramp to Citylink which will leave the driver with a toll and their exit options are a long way off.

Second point - have a look at the signage. There seems to be little warning of the 'left-turn only' lane prior to the intersection, there is this one sign - large, complex and easy to miss the significance. They may even have turned left out of Pearl River Rd and not seen the sign at all.

Everyone has the odd occasion where they need to be cut a bit of slack. I also think the other car did precious little wrong really. I'd assume they looked to see the path was clear and they certainly were only moving slowly.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 pm

il padrone wrote:Second point - have a look at the signage. There seems to be little warning of the 'left-turn only' lane prior to the intersection, there is this one sign - large, complex and easy to miss the significance.
what they've probably done is see the Citylink turnoff sign and turned into that lane, then realised that it wasn't the Citylink entry ramp. this is so often the case with freeway entry signs - they place them well ahead of the turnoff to give drivers adequate time to prepare, but there's multiple turn-offs prior to the turn-off for the actual freeway and you have to make split-section decisions on which is the correct one. i wouldn't blame the driver blocking the lane in this case.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 pm

^ You're right. Signage and line marking is quite poor - very little notice before the solid line.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Summernight wrote:If anyone decides to use a handlebar mount I would suggest placing the handlebar mount on the right of the stem (looking forwards) if you don't put it in the centre because it puts the camera closer to the side that motorists would be passing in Australia - putting it on the left of the stem (for Australian roads) seems to give a feeling (at least in the videos that I've seen) that there was more space between the cars and you than there really was.
Good point. Will do that.

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:31 pm

That is where I've got my handlebar mount on the right side of the stem.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 am

Almost wiped out by a mobile crane this morning coming up Gladstone Road (where Mervin Hull had his fun).

I was in the left lane about 1500mm from the kerb, as is pretty standard there for cyclists. Doing about 20-25 up the hill. Traffic starts backing up in the right lane. Right lane queueing is longer than left. At the rear of the right lane queue is a bus. I come alongside bus still in my current lane position off the kerb, but not fully claiming the lane. A blue and white mobile crane, similar to one of these;

comes up in the left lane and tries to squeeze between me and the bus. Another cyclist on the footpath yells out to me to look out, I swerve into the gutter, look back and see this crane over my shoulder. The boom is over my head and the hook in front of me. Once I see they've slowed to squeeze I swerve into the middle of the lane, claiming it fully to discourage them. I'm eyeballing them and letting out some obsecenities, they're responding with the the usual blasting of the horn and telling me to get off the effing road.

I continue to go up the hill looking over my shoulder, claiming the lane riding as slow as I could and yelling abuse. The 2 in the cab are on the horn and similarly retorting. Amusingly the guy riding on the footpath is also giving the crane drivers a moutfull. At the top of the hill I get out of the left lane into the turning lane. They come alongside continuing their ranting. I turn left to Dornoch to leave them to continue straight.

Dissapointingly I didn't get their details other than White and Blue Mobile Crane. Also dissapointingly, I should have followed them and seen where they were going. I suspect to the Mater Children's Hospital at the bottom of the hill, coincidently being built by AbiGroup, who have colours of White and Blue. Might make a detour on the way home for a look.

I'll do some digging, but has anyone got a link to letter to be sent to the company, once I find out who it may have been.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 am

clydesmcdale wrote:Dissapointingly I didn't get their details other than White and Blue Mobile Crane.
how about LCR? They are white and blue, with some red...

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:26 am

Grab onto to crane hook next time and get a free lift up the hill, Clydesmcdale. 8)

Those things are scarily big. Not nice to have a tiff with one of those. Write the letter.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:28 am

:twisted: NOT GOOD. Those cranes are normally at the limit of legal road width. One passing you like that is homicidal! :shock:

The police and the company should be notified. Also try worksafe if you can accurately identify the truck or company.

That said in my experience the operators of these are normally VERY good on the roads. They know they have a massive vehicle and they know that sometimes they will just have to wait, often THEY are the slow ones. Also their operators are use to dealing with danger and making ration safety decisions.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:38 am

human909 wrote:That said in my experience the operators of these are normally VERY good on the roads. They know they have a massive vehicle and they know that sometimes they will just have to wait, often THEY are the slow ones. Also their operators are use to dealing with danger and making ration safety decisions.
+1

The location of the incident makes me wonder to what extent the rabid rantings of Swer'n Mervyn are to blame in this instance. No excuse of course, just a causative factor.

I also reckon that if you can ID the firm involved then Qld occupational health authorities may be your best avenue. In Victoria Worksafe would hammer a business that allowed their employees to drive like this. The roads are a part of their workplace.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."