How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

TraceyG

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TraceyG » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:28 am

Just a nasty headwind for the full 30km ride in this morning. And I'm betting it will have swung around by home time to give me another belting on my way home.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:45 pm

Nice little run in via Redcliffe this morning. Went home, jumped on the wife's ebike for some errands on the way in. Another 85k done. :mrgreen:

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:07 pm

I had a lovely run from Redcliffe to Northgate via the Wetlands this morning. There was a couple on a tandem flying along plus any number of happy friendly cyclists. Mornings like this I genuinely feel for our caged bretheren. :D
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:57 pm

Hamster wrote:I had a lovely run from Redcliffe to Northgate via the Wetlands this morning. There was a couple on a tandem flying along plus any number of happy friendly cyclists. Mornings like this I genuinely feel for our caged bretheren. :D
How will you feel about them this afternoon in the rain? I fear I will be umbrella riding this afternoon. :o

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:09 pm

will be riding home this afternoon as the weather is looking fantastic, and looks nice and cool, 20mins down to go till knock off :)

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Miserable morning this morning. Have been off the bike for a few days feeling a bit off. Hardened up this morning and went training at SOP. Got dropped halfway through the lap lap :( and struggled to maintain any speed getting home after. Clearly still not 100%!

Three quarters of the way to work, took a roundabout with an off camber, hit a bit of water on the road, lost the front wheel and went down. Bent the derailluer hanger, lost a small amount of skin, and seriously dented my ego and then had to walk to the nearest train station and train it to work.

I'm now down 2 bikes and will have to train it again tomorrow. Sigh.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:18 pm

goneriding wrote:Miserable morning this morning. Have been off the bike for a few days feeling a bit off. Hardened up this morning and went training at SOP. Got dropped halfway through the lap lap :( and struggled to maintain any speed getting home after. Clearly still not 100%!

Three quarters of the way to work, took a roundabout with an off camber, hit a bit of water on the road, lost the front wheel and went down. Bent the derailluer hanger, lost a small amount of skin, and seriously dented my ego and then had to walk to the nearest train station and train it to work.

two rules:
1. listen to your body
2. see rule 1

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:58 pm

jasonc wrote:
goneriding wrote:Miserable morning this morning. Have been off the bike for a few days feeling a bit off. Hardened up this morning and went training at SOP. Got dropped halfway through the lap lap :( and struggled to maintain any speed getting home after. Clearly still not 100%!

two rules:
1. listen to your body
2. see rule 1
Body says "No more". On the upside I may have found a way to upgrade my rear derailleur!

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Cairns seasonal wet season is very late arriving, but this arvo there was cause to glance nervously at the skies in the half hour leading up to knock off time. Filthy black clouds occupied the horizon in the direction of the homeward commute, and eventually left work accompanied by much rain and noise in the form of thunder. Although I was tempted to chuck the bike in the company car and drive home, I thought better of it on reflecting that I have just joined the Endomondo commute thing. Observing the traffic from the relative safety of the 'bike' lane, I'm glad I didn't drive.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:25 pm

Had a good ride in and out, aside from the aborted start where I somehow pulled the whole back wheel out of the dropouts taking off at the lights. Slammed my right inner thigh on the stem, then the nose of the Brooks hit me in the right butt cheek, so I reckon I'll get two good bruises out of it!

Jim

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 pm

had "one with the lot" on the way home - rain, drizzle, sunshine. dry roads, wet roads and damp roads. result: dirty bike. and the day I'm on the good bike. grrr

got a stick stuck in the rear jockey wheels. picked it up quickly, stopped and got it out.

bike babywiped. normal viewing returns.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:00 pm

Comedian wrote:
Hamster wrote:I had a lovely run from Redcliffe to Northgate via the Wetlands this morning. There was a couple on a tandem flying along plus any number of happy friendly cyclists. Mornings like this I genuinely feel for our caged bretheren. :D
How will you feel about them this afternoon in the rain? I fear I will be umbrella riding this afternoon. :o
I had a great ride home - no rain and a good stiff tailwind. Our poor bretheren in their smoke-producing cages simply do no understand what they are missing.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

HillBilly

Postby HillBilly » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Hamster wrote:Rode home last night and got wet through again. There is possibly a bacteriologist somewhere that would find my shoes a fascinating research project.
This morning was absolutely beautiful. Even the traffic was well behaved and I have found a slightly different route that avoids a flood prone cycling path and replaces it with a lovely wide smooth and very quiet section of road.
Have you considered Shimano SPD sandals? You live in the Brisbane so why the hell not???

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 pm

HillBilly wrote:
Hamster wrote:Rode home last night and got wet through again. There is possibly a bacteriologist somewhere that would find my shoes a fascinating research project.
This morning was absolutely beautiful. Even the traffic was well behaved and I have found a slightly different route that avoids a flood prone cycling path and replaces it with a lovely wide smooth and very quiet section of road.
Have you considered Shimano SPD sandals? You live in the Brisbane so why the hell not???
I was looking at them the other day....nah

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:20 am

First half of the MYT commute was great, the second half was my first real drenching for the year. Hit a heavy downpour at Heidelberg, all the way through to Mill Park.
And as if the water from above wasn't enough:

And these anti-slip tiles at path/road intersections are ironically extremely slippery in the wet if you don't hit them dead-on.

Had a few drops of rain this morning on the way into the Melbourne CBD this morning, and came across a ninja in the pitch-black darkness on the Darebin Creek Trail around 5am. No idea how he could see where he was going.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:36 am

TailWind wrote:And these anti-slip tiles at path/road intersections are ironically extremely slippery in the wet if you don't hit them dead-on.
+1

EDIT: had a tail wind on the commute in. and it didn't rain.

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:47 am

TailWind wrote:And these anti-slip tiles at path/road intersections are ironically extremely slippery in the wet if you don't hit them dead-on.
TGSI fail

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:52 am

yesterday afternoon ride was okies, won my kom at the start, killed my self trying and had a head wind the whole way home, was bloody tired

Darwin's wet session is trying to make up for the lack of it, totally soaked this morning, thought i was say about 15 mins into the ride, I just wasn't to be, just washed all my clothes have them infront of a fan, and LPS1 all over the bike! bring on this arvo :P
Last edited by poohkies on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:12 am

Dan wrote:
TGSI fail
Thanks...wasn't quite sure what these things were called:

TGSI -> Tactile Ground Surface Indicator

A Tactile Ground Surface Indicator (TGSI) is a device set into the surface of a public pathway that creates a tactile surface that can be felt underfoot or with a cane. It is designed to alert pedestrians, particularly the vision impaired to the presence of a hazard or a point of interest adjacent to a pathway such as a bus stop or a pedestrian crossing.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:02 am

TailWind wrote:
Dan wrote:
TGSI fail
Thanks...wasn't quite sure what these things were called:

A Tactile Ground Surface Indicator (TGSI) is a device set into the surface of a public pathway that creates a tactile surface that can be felt underfoot or with a cane. It is designed to alert pedestrians, particularly the vision impaired to the presence of a hazard or a point of interest adjacent to a pathway such as a bus stop or a pedestrian crossing.
So they're not meant to be anti-slip then at all? I don't like them when walking over them in anything but runners as they hurt my feet (thin soled shoes and these things HURT). I may be seen to jump over them or take an extra big step.

TailWind, I'm sorry, but that truck splashing you just made me laugh. I'm so evil. :oops:

I was lucky with my commute home in Melbourne yesterday - only got spat on by the thunderstorm and got home before the worst of it. Which was good as I didn't put on my wet weather gear. Yay! Except on the way home down Collins Street I shook my head at the dangerous antics of a pedestrian (darted out from behind a parked car in front of me and crossed the road without looking and not at the lights) and got told by another male pedestrian who was also doing the same thing in the same spot to "Just relax!".

Just relax? Sure, and kill you and myself if I'm relaxed and not alert? No thanks buddy.
I must look uber serious and grumpy when riding. I may have to paste a smile on my face.

Left later to get in today. Nothing out of the ordinary except a van cutting off the Collins Street bicycle lane with me in it (near one of the middle tram superstops). Brakes applied by me and crisis averted.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:11 am

Summernight wrote:
TailWind wrote:
Thanks Dan..wasn't quite sure what these things were called:

So they're not meant to be anti-slip then at all? I don't like them when walking over them in anything but runners as they hurt my feet (thin soled shoes and these things HURT). I may be seen to jump over them or take an extra big step.
The information page on TGSI I found doesn't mention traction or grip....
http://lgam.wikidot.com/tgsi

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 pm

utterly drained. i've had some late nights this week, in conjunction with a crit race on wednesday and basketball match last evening - this morning was like riding through honey.

Treadlier

Postby Treadlier » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Commute home yesterday:

Rolling west along the river (Perth) and settle in behind two fellow treadliers on roadies taking it relatively easy having a chat. They're riding in the same direction as me 2 abreast (ie, at least 2/3 of the two lane shared path). All good...I probably wouldn't do it myself (commuters of various skill/confidence holding a line coming at you in the opposite direction) but to each his own, I plan to settle in and wait for a straight with good visibility before alerting them to my presence and passing.

Before this could happen I notice that a commuter on a MTB coming in the opposite direction is literally being run off onto the grassy bank of the shared path to squeeze past the chatting treadliers...interesting!

About a half km further on there is a shallow "s" bend in the path (more like one side of a double helix) that coincides with a small rise and fall undulation (you sort of go "up and over" this bit of the path). Your view here is partially obscured by a big tree (fig?) to the left of the path which curves around said tree to the left itself. I'm still behind the two chatty treadliers and notice a commuter approaching in the opposite direction before he is obscured by the tree. Not sure what happens next but suspect the combination of 2.5 abreast add oncoming commuter add shallow s bend add intermittent visibility add undulation in the road is a bit much because suddently treadlier 1 is off onto the grass to the left of the path and treadlier 2 is across to the right (still on the path though) swinging around to look for his mate. The guy going in the opposite direction seems to have gotten through ok.

I take the opportunity to sneak past treadlier 1 as he is re-joining the path from the grass. I'm hesitant to overtake treadlier 2 as he is not holding a line while looking behind for treadlier 1. At this point treadlier 2 sees me and settles on a line around the middle of the path so I nip past to the right. Phew! Not sure exactly what happened but good to be on my own in the clear!

Commute to work this morning:

Deliberately left a bit later this morning (after 8am). I've noticed that there seem to be heaps more treadliers to negotiate if I leave around 6:30/6:45am and was keen to avoid that. By way of background I've been having a few ankle/knee problems as a result of a previous war wound (mixed netball) and have recently been trialling a new way of walking/cycling with the affected leg. As a result I was keen to test my new technique out by going fairly hard for the duration of my short ~10km commute.

Anyway, an absolutely glorious morning (seriously, why would you take any other form of transport to work?) and I managed to beat my PB and nab 2nd spot on a circa 7km segment at (according to Strava) 38.2km/h. Segment includes a couple of rolling hills, blind roundabouts (ie, to slow down to almost a stop) and a road crossings to rejoin the bike paths etc so was fairly chuffed to have nabbed a good time while going hard but not smashing myself. I admit my cause was aided by a moderate tailwind but 80% of my commuting is done into a headwind (the way the morning/afternoon wind works here in Perth) so I'll take it!

Treadlier. :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Treadlier wrote:...seriously, why would you take any other form of transport to work?...Treadlier. :)
Welcome to the commuting thread...nice report too! :)

Killswitch

Postby Killswitch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Ride in, humid, strong head wind, puncher. Yay. Had a decent run without a puncher so it was bound to come.