Cronulla to Sydney via paths/roads

Uncle Just

Cronulla to Sydney via paths/roads

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:43 am

I am considering riding through Sydney as I head north. Lonely Planet's Cycling Australia, first edition (published 2001) shows a route using a mix of paths and roads from Cronulla into the CBD. The one place I'm intrigued about is where it goes via General Holmes Drive for a short section of about 3kms. Google maps shows this as multi lane each way and looks to be not very bike friendly particularly in the tunnel section. Mind you the book is from 13 years ago so routes change. Any thoughts about an alternative way into the CBD avoiding this section?

george-bob

Re: Cronulla to Sydney via paths/roads

Postby george-bob » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:48 pm

ah yes, you are right it isnt at all bike friendly. i havent cycled that way in a long, long time but it is a pretty awful multilane road. i dont recall if there is a shoulder you could cycle in, but if you are solo i would avoid this route. even in a decent sized group i didnt feel safe on that stretch.

someone who knows the area better should be able to help with this, i am fairly certain there is a cycleway that runs around the perimeter of the airport, you could follow that to avoid this section i believe.

wardie

Postby wardie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:07 pm

You don't have to touch General Holmes drive at all. I ride often to work from Kirrawee to the CBD and it's a mixtures of back streets and bike paths. Even getting from Cronula who can get on the bike path near Solander fields (near Toyota, Ronson, Endeavour Park...whatever it's called these days) which takes you into Taren Pt and eventually onto the bike path over Capt Cook bridge.

It's too hard for me to explain the full route via text and I'm useless with Google maps and mapmyride etc but I'd be happy to show you one day if you like.
Giant XTC 2

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Uncle Just wrote:I am considering riding through Sydney as I head north. Lonely Planet's Cycling Australia, first edition (published 2001) shows a route using a mix of paths and roads from Cronulla into the CBD. The one place I'm intrigued about is where it goes via General Holmes Drive for a short section of about 3kms. Google maps shows this as multi lane each way and looks to be not very bike friendly particularly in the tunnel section. Mind you the book is from 13 years ago so routes change. Any thoughts about an alternative way into the CBD avoiding this section?
And from Captain Cooks Bridge the cycleway heads to the shore along Botany Bay past Brighton Le Sands and proceeds to Tempe where you can take a right and folllow dedicated cycleway around the western side of the airport and hook up with the Bourke St cycleway in to the city. No need to go near General Holmes Dr.
Have a great ride,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Thank you all. Last time I just wimped it and took the train to Newcastle from Sydney. But I'd like to ride through so your input is appreciated.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Have a look at this ridethecity route... it shows how to avoid the General Holmes Drive
tunnel which is pretty bike-hostile territory.

http://www.ridethecity.com/sydney#2517727" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could take a short-cut inland on Bestic St at Kyeemagh if you didn't need the extra km or so of riding.

Depending on where in Cronulla you start, it's worth also thinking about riding north on Elouera Rd to
Captain Cook Drive - the latter has a decent cycle track that connects up with the cycleway
just west of Shark Park.

You can also avoid riding on the Grand Parade or Bay cycleway by taking a route from Sandringham Pde
through Chutter Ave to Crawford Rd and shorten the trip a little by doing so.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia