Perth Waterfront

hiflange

Re: Perth Waterfront

Postby hiflange » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:40 pm

Front page news. McGowan has adopted the City Gatekeepers plan which retains Riverside Drive and more public open space. It also sports only medium rise buildings away from the Esplanade. It's a far better plan that the current EQ. I still can't see the imperative for ruining the unique Esplanade, especially while the old power station site in East Perth sits mouldering

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:51 am

That bunch of western suburbs nimbys can stick their chicken scratchings in the proverbial. I've always voted labor but McGowan is doing his best to change my mind. Metronet was on the money but since then he's gone downhill.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:05 am

When did the 'swinging bridge' get approved for this project?
From The West.

Should make for interesting cycling and walking commuting into the Perth CBD.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:10 am

It's likely that the swinging bridge will open at set times, e.g. at a quarter past the hour. This would mean that pedestrians and cyclists would adapt their travel times to avoid the closure periods.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:09 pm

rolandp wrote:When did the 'swinging bridge' get approved for this project?
From The West.

Should make for interesting cycling and walking commuting into the Perth CBD.
^ Seems to contradict the picture on the front of the west :roll:

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:55 pm

wellington_street wrote:Seems to contradict the picture on the front of the west :roll:
The number and variety of artists' impressions coming out of the MRA / Premier's office is bewildering. It's interesting to note that the buildings shown around the pond have been shrinking over time, no doubt to placate real concern about the amount of time the public areas will be in heavy shadow.
The artists' impressions are unlikely to bear much resemblance to built reality of 10-20 years in the future. Design Guidelines have this to offer about ultimate building height;

"However, development sites are intended to be flexible and to avoid over-regulation of heights and setbacks."

and this to offer about the bridge;

"The Bridge will connect The Island with the western Promenade and provide a key link in the continuous pedestrian access around the entire inlet. The Bridge will also accommodate cyclists and integrate with the network of cycle paths along Elizabeth Quay and into the City. The Bridge will become a unique and elegant sculptural element that identifies Elizabeth Quay and will be a place where tourists will want to have their photo taken. The Bridge will be lightweight so as not to obstruct views between the Inlet and Perth Water and will be navigable and able to accommodate ferries and other vessels which require access to the Inlet."

It's likely that no-one yet knows the final form the bridge will take. The problem is that it has to get up quite high to accommodate boat traffic. At East Perth the landform around Claisebrook cove facilitates that but at EQ they have to get peds and bikes up to that height from only a meter or so above water level. It will be a major headache and thus far the only solutions are "wiggles" and "swings". You can be sure that it will not be commuter friendly (especially with all those tourists having their picture taken on it!)

Here's a less romantic artist's impression of the view from the east side (via City Gatekeepers);

Here's one from the MRA site;

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:13 pm

RobertFrith wrote:It's likely that no-one yet knows the final form the bridge will take.
I agree. It's doubtful it has been designed at this stage.
RobertFrith wrote:You can be sure that it will not be commuter friendly (especially with all those tourists having their picture taken on it!)
Not until it is designed. I recall a similar type of bridge in melbs that didn't seem to be too hard to navigate.
RobertFrith wrote:Here's a less romantic artist's impression of the view from the east side (via City Grasskeepers);
Interesting, since the buildings haven't been designed yet, this is (at best) a guess?
<removed by request>

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:36 pm

casual_cyclist wrote: Interesting, since the buildings haven't been designed yet, this is (at best) a guess?
All of it's a guess. MRA's guesses are peppered with see through buildings in some instances and misty eyed lighting in others. Gatekeeper's versions give a better sense of the bulk and scale of the buildings from ground level.

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:38 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:...
RobertFrith wrote:Here's a less romantic artist's impression of the view from the east side (via City Grasskeepers);
Interesting, since the buildings haven't been designed yet, this is (at best) a guess?
but no less accurate than the images released by the Emperor and his minions.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 pm

RobertFrith wrote:
casual_cyclist wrote: Interesting, since the buildings haven't been designed yet, this is (at best) a guess?
All of it's a guess. MRA's guesses are peppered with see through buildings in some instances and misty eyed lighting in others. Gatekeeper's versions give a better sense of the bulk and scale of the buildings from ground level.
Except that the buildings have glass and won't be monolitic or monochrome.
<removed by request>

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:49 pm

I found it h ard to teat the Gatekeepers seriously after their hastily cobbled together alternative "plan" that was published in the paper in response.

A hotel or something was "built" into the space that my regular coffee jaunt Sassys. Sassy's is in the WA Rowing Club buidling, a heritage listed site.

After I stopped laughing I waited for some action. It took over month to organsise a simple protest while the government was getting tender documents and planning stuff done and the media gave it a free run. It almost seemed as if the Gatekeepers WANTED to miss the boat.

You ma y have to zoom out forst to see the right hand side of the image which is where my coffee shop was. Image
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jlh

Postby jlh » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:33 am

All these pictures are showing me is really how disgusting the exhibition centre is

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:56 am

jasonlheath wrote:All these pictures are showing me is really how disgusting the exhibition centre is
aka the trilobyte or the fat flat beatle. Which at least is in theme with the pair of rutting cockroaches that are aka the Belltower.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:31 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote: the pair of rutting cockroaches that are aka the Belltower
Yes, the stunning "legacy" of another forgotten pollie!

A colleague memorably characterised the belltower thus; "the Sydney Opera House had a poo"

It sadly sums up the lack of imagination and leadership in WA. Our placemakers are always so desperate to make Perth and WA like other places, Melbourne, Honkers & Sydney for the most part. What on Earth's wrong with being Perth?

We have unique opportunities here and we're forever p*ssin* them away. Waterfront is just the latest botch. What other city has such a great buffer of open air, breathing space between it and it's river? Why are so enthusiastic about turning it into offices? At a cost to the taxpayer of a quarter of a billion dollars?

Vivifyer

Postby Vivifyer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:47 pm

The gate keepers volume models are inaccurate, I did the work for MRA and all the images they currently use for publish. Their design guide lines were pretty strict about volumes and view lines from back into the city, as to minimize giant cubes of glass completely blocking the river view.

one of the other renders
http://i.imgur.com/RF5uUYk.jpg
=======================
Flickr Stream
DArt Gallery

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:43 pm

[mod] Politics is not permitted on BNA, please read the RULES

Altering the text quoted from another poster is extremely poor form. Please review the quotation's in your posts and correct any alterations[/mod]
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:14 pm

The Grasskeepers are a joke. The sooner the election comes and they slide back into oblivion, the better.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:40 pm

There is a large section of shared path which was originally started around 6 weeks ago, but hasn't been completed. Does anyone know when this will be completed, as personally I'm tired of riding over the section next to the riverwall with several holes/repatched areas, whilst looking at a brand new section next door:

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu May 09, 2013 12:39 am

I'm trying to work out what is happening with the new PSP. They have completed the east end (near the Bell Tower), but the original west end hasn't progressed with the exception of installing fencing along it. The two sections don't meet with around 50 meters to be completed.

The west section was started around Feb-2013, and each day I look at the new sections wishing it was finished.

Riverside Drive is scheduled to be completely closed from November 2013 (diverted via Barrack St/William St), so potentially in 6 months, we won't be using this section either.

Open the new section, as potentially there won't be time for us to ride on it at the rate it is taking to build it.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed May 15, 2013 8:16 am

The PSP has been diverted to the new PSP at the Bell Tower end. It however diverts back onto the old PSP around the original Wellington St turn-off area.

That new section reported back in Feb-2013 still remains unopened, but they have laid lovely green grass next to it now. Must be soon now if they ever complete that missing 10m section.

BrownBike
Location: Perth - Looking for a north-south route across the CBD

Postby BrownBike » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:10 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-06/c ... section=wa

So... does this mean Riverside Drive and the PSP gets cut off soon? Or will they dig a hole first then cut to the river later on?

I now see a northbound lane is open on Barrack St from the Belltower heading into the city, although not much scope for cycling on it.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Barrack st was made two way again today. Shame there was no announcement or warnings as several close calls for those crossing riverside dr, entering the PSP which for several months has been save to do. But today, car exits from bell tower up barrack st, almost hitting those cyclists who were unaware that cars could again cross at this point.

Given that the above wasn't announced, good luck in getting an answer to your question BrownBike.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:49 pm

The same blonde female traffic controller was there to stop PSP traffic west of the jetty roads.
Armed with only her good looks, she did a pretty good job arresting traffic with a single pale hand and accented voice, I presumed it's the regulation substitute when there's a shortage of STOP/SLOW lollipops.
Similar deal with the rail work at City West traffic control randomly walking into the path, except in that case the frames I've posted show the signs jammed up behind the fence in plain view =D

Working past sunset cycling back at night these past two nights, I've been wondering why all the path lighting along Riverside Drive is OK to be out. Leederville and Lake Monger at the pedestrian freeway overpass midway similar case, and began noticing elsewhere a lot of street/path lighting absent, up near Parliament House offramp corner at the nasty PSP hairpin, great spot for another one to be out.
No falling tools from Halo on Mount construction yet, thinking the mesh on the encroaching fence will blow out and trap me like a tuna in drift net.
Good times :)

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:50 pm

rolandp wrote:Barrack st was made two way again today. Shame there was no announcement or warnings as several close calls for those crossing riverside dr, entering the PSP which for several months has been save to do. But today, car exits from bell tower up barrack st, almost hitting those cyclists who were unaware that cars could again cross at this point.

Given that the above wasn't announced, good luck in getting an answer to your question BrownBike.

You need to read the papers. It was announced in the West Australian a couple of weeks ago.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:52 pm

Sinner wrote:You need to read the papers. It was announced in the West Australian a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks for that, I do read the online papers, and doing an online search tonight on The West didn't find any hits.

In addition, MRA's work updates was only updated today to indicate Barrack St is now open for northern direction, so MRA's website didn't give us early warning (I am even on their e-mail alerts and no news about this opening).

Wouldn't it have been better to have some warning signs installed indicated 'modified traffic layout' or similar? Rather than the close call I witnessed yesterday evening.