Put fluro on roads, not riders ...

Aushiker

Put fluro on roads, not riders ...

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:01 am

For discussion :)

Steven at Cycle Space has posted another interesting post, well to me anyway looking at issue of fluro on riders ...

Why should hard working drivers stand by and watch their taxes spent on things like pedestrian crossings? Each set of crossings costs thousands to paint—hundreds of thousands if they require traffic lights in addition. All this for a handful of people not prepared to pay for cars and car parking. Shouldn’t the burden of safety be borne by the ones who are putting themselves in harm’s way?

I propose that zebra crossings be done away with, and anyone wanting to cross the road, do so dressed as a zebra. Some may whine that bold black and white stripes aren’t fashionable, or carry stigma. But just look at the quality and variety of walking-specific fashions already out there, all street legal, and stylish enough to wear at the office...

read on for the reason for the above at Cycle Space.

Andrew

warthog1

Re: Put fluro on roads, not riders ...

Postby warthog1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:17 am

I like his style 8). Highlights the ridiculous reasoning behind the suggestion that cyclists compulsorily wear fluro vests :roll:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:52 am

You take this seriously? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 am

Always thought this summed it up pretty well Cyclists furious as council paint everything else luminous green
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Ranga Tang

Postby Ranga Tang » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:52 am

As funny as that story is, it's the way these fruit loops think in councils, sadly.

Watch this space...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:05 am

find_bruce wrote:Always thought this summed it up pretty well Cyclists furious as council paint everything else luminous green
Now that is serious! :) :) :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:22 pm

A bit like what they have done on London's bike-superhighways.

However any such marked lanes have to be wide enough otherwise they make things worse than having no bike lane. This is very clearly evident in this video:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:04 pm

And voila, now he is talking about it too:

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/f ... 2ev3r.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I shall propose that rather than colourful vests, everyone should be made to wear lycra with reflective strips on it, and perhaps a highly visible colour, like yellow, red, or, (gasp, horror) white! :twisted: It won't make any difference, but some people will feel rather awkward or silly.

Rather than messing about with fluoro clothing, lights that are powerful enough and in a visible location on the bike should be a standard thing. For me it is, but there are so many people you still see who run around without lights, or with dull ones, or the helmet light is obscured by a backpack.

For the record, I wear light colours that are easy to see. I don't commute however, so I don't have a large backpack obscuring anything.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:10 pm

Michael O'Reilly for PM!! :D
Michael O'Reilly wrote:But we all know what really makes cycling safer. Increased numbers of cyclists – and motorists who are looking out for them.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/f ... z2LsAkqkVc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:19 pm

il padrone wrote:Michael O'Reilly for PM!! :D
Michael O'Reilly wrote:But we all know what really makes cycling safer. Increased numbers of cyclists – and motorists who are looking out for them.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/f ... z2LsAkqkVc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Absolutely right. But that's a painful, inconvenient truth for a great many groups who'd simply prefer people on bicycles didn't exist. More cyclists on the roads might actually reduce the traffic congestion, reducing the need for expensive new tunnels, etc. Less traffic equals less frustrated drivers, etc.

There all sorts of reasons why this is good, but equally all sorts of reasons why some groups would prefer it didn't happen.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:19 pm

find_bruce wrote:Always thought this summed it up pretty well Cyclists furious as council paint everything else luminous green
That's funny. April 1, anyone?
Not my circus, not my monkeys