Is my carbon frame cracked?

clack3rz

Is my carbon frame cracked?

Postby clack3rz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:24 pm

After cleaning the bike, I noticed what looks like to be a crack in the frame.
However I'm not sure if it's just the paint, or whether it's the FD, or actually a crack.
I've never crashed the bike etc so not sure what may have caused it - flex maybe? Strange place for enough flex to cause a crack though.

I've had the bike for 2 years, bought second-hand, the frame was brand-new never ridden. I definitely know it's only a recent appearance as I inspect the bike quite regularly.

Where is the best place to get the frame inspected (I'm in Vic - Melbourne SE 'burbs)? LBS? Or does anyone know a reputable builder/repairer?

trailgumby

Re: Is my carbon frame cracked?

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:34 pm

Guessing (ultrasound inspection is the only way to tell for sure) that the crack is where the plate ends for the FD mount that was bonded into the frame before finishing.

Could be cosmetic only due to differential thermal expansion of the metal and CF, hard to tell. Does your bike creak at all?

Luescher Technik is somewhere in Melbourne and they do ultrasound CF checking and repairs. Not cheap, though. You wouldn't bother if it was a set of bars or a seatpost, but a frame you would consider.

On the upside, CF is repairable. If it were alloy, your frame would likely be binworthy.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:04 pm

My vote is that the paint/gel coat is cracked...not the carbon, mark it up with an artline or sharpie and put some clear tape over it, and keep an eye on it.

Cheers,

Phil.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:40 pm

Not definitive but definitely worth a try...

Take a coin and tap the top or down tube to get an idea of the sound of a known healthy tube then work your way down the seat tube.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Perhaps there's reason to be more concerned with the scoring in the brake track of your rear wheel?

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:25 pm

I freaks me a bit when I see multiple posts about cracked carbon frames because mine is black and I doubt that a crack would show up like they do on light coloured bikes.

Metor

Postby Metor » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:38 pm

biker jk wrote:Perhaps there's reason to be more concerned with the scoring in the brake track of your rear wheel?
:lol:
Time to take some stones out of your brake pads?

I guess it is a paint crack. Exactly on the line of the FD plate. Althought there shouldn't be to much movement on the plate and carbon to cause a (paint) crack.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:47 pm

That to me is the beginning of a stress fracture, and I reckon will only get worse. Definitely worth getting it checked out.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Highly likely it's the paint. Given a sudden transition in stiffness at that point and brittle paint coat, it's bound to part way. Not good either way. Should also check wether the FD mounting is secure.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

cpical

Postby cpical » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Raoul Luescher is in Alphington. Does great job. Contact him, and go there with your bike. He fixed one frame twice, frame (spare bike) that I rode today!

I don't like the paint/built job around the FD mount.

open roader

Postby open roader » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 pm

We are all guessing here without expert diagnosis.

I have a clear coat paint layer crack in my frame which looks very similar to this so my guess is paint depth only.

I have ridden with the paint crack on my frame for 2.5 years / 3500km and it has not altered at all since first observation.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

clack3rz

Postby clack3rz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice (even if it's limited to a diagnosis from a pic).
My feeling is that it's where the FD is mounted, and I agree that I still need to get it checked.
Regarding the scoring on the rims. There is some minor ones, It appears to be trick photography making it look like there's a major one, but trust me it's not nearly as bad as it looks. I checked it out. There 'appears' to be no movement in the crack when I apply some pressure to the FD, so it maybe just the top layer.

I'll try out the coin test as well.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Keep us updated when you get it checked. It's possible the coin test might be indeterminate given the proximity of the internal FD mount.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:20 pm

The crack in the paint appears to be where the FD bracket is mounted, I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:07 pm

ball bearing wrote:I freaks me a bit when I see multiple posts about cracked carbon frames because mine is black and I doubt that a crack would show up like they do on light coloured bikes.
Dark garage at night, and a decent headlamp (or bright torch held in front of your face). Its amazing what you can then see on the frame :) Until I tried this on my frame I thought it was just pure black, but suddenly I could see where the outermost fibre layups ended and everything :)

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
ball bearing wrote:I freaks me a bit when I see multiple posts about cracked carbon frames because mine is black and I doubt that a crack would show up like they do on light coloured bikes.
Dark garage at night, and a decent headlamp (or bright torch held in front of your face). Its amazing what you can then see on the frame :) Until I tried this on my frame I thought it was just pure black, but suddenly I could see where the outermost fibre layups ended and everything :)
Thanks for the tip!

chrisle

Postby chrisle » Fri May 10, 2013 4:41 pm

please be aware the hidden costs with frame and fork inspection via Luescher Teknik, and timing.
i rang and was advised "$290 for frame and fork inspection" and "a couple of days", and to "bring my bike in".
Two whole (business) days later after i contacted them, i got an email advising it would cost an extra $230 (so total $520) to disassemble and
reassemble my bike (why didnt they tell me beforehand) and it's clear to me now that it will take some
days to weeks not "a couple days". FYI My bike on visual inspection has no
damage but because of a high speed crash, I wanted an ultrasound
check, probably an overkill. I would NOT recommend this business.