Volagi Liscio (Gen 2) build thread

MichaelB

Volagi Liscio (Gen 2) build thread

Postby MichaelB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:51 pm

Some of you will know from the Disc brake thread that I have been in the process of procuring a Volagi Liscio frame & fork for some time now.

Well, like all good things come to those that wait, it's finally HERE !!!

I've started the build process, the Kona is going, and hopefully it won't take long.

Here are some initial pics ;

Frame, fork, setapost & headset

Not bad for a 57cm frame, disc ready and setup for full internal cabling

Same goes for a full carbon disc roadfork, steerer still untrimmed

Progress so far.

The frame has full internal routing of hydraulic lines for disc brakes and gear cables, and as I've never done the internal cable bit, I've asked for some assistance rather than stuff it up :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Volagi Liscio (Gen 2) build thread

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Oh boy! 8)

Can you post a full side on pic please Michael? I really wanna check out those lines properly.

Shaun.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi Shaun,
For best side profile, head on over to http://www.volagi.com and there are heaps of pics there of the different colour schemes too. They are proper pics.

Christopher will vouch for my lack of photographic skills :D

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Very hot looking bike, I'll probably seriously consider a disc frame for my road bike if/when my current one bites it.

Although technically you wouldn't be allowed to use a bike with disc brakes in road races right? Only CX races...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Easily solved for me, I don't race :)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks Michael. (fixed your link for you :) )

Time to save 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:54 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Although technically you wouldn't be allowed to use a bike with disc brakes in road races right? Only CX races...
Depends on who organises the race.

I've had a couple of guys in my semi-regular morning bunch suggest I come racing with the local vet club.

Choking down the insult (I'm only 37 dammit... oh... yeah, that's over 35 isn't it? :-( ), I pointed out that my disc-brake roadie isn't UCI compliant.

"Pffft, as if anybody's going to give a toss about that!".

One of the guys in the conversation is the club's handicapper, so probably has some idea of their attitude toward rules.

Of course, you'll probably get called for it if you try racing a disc road bike at the nationals... but the likelyhood of me racing at that level is even lower than the likelyhood of me racing at _any_ level :lol:

tim
looking forward to the build

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:11 pm

+99 to more pics

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Here is the thread with the wheelset details in it

29er Carbon clinchers & CM hubs

Have done some digging around re the internal cable stuff, and have a slightly better idea of what to do, but still waiting on some feedback from Volagi Aus & US.

Other option is to take it to the LBS for them to do it, but would rather do it myself :)

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:30 pm

barefoot wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:Although technically you wouldn't be allowed to use a bike with disc brakes in road races right? Only CX races...
Depends on who organises the race.
The AVCCC (Vets) are not part of Cycling Australia and don't require UCI compliant bikes. The UCI rules for bikes take up pages of detailed rules and measurements. The entire rules for bikes under the AVCC can be found on the website and are short enough to post here.
AVCC website wrote:6. Equipment and Clothing
a) Race numbers must be prominently displayed at all times. Numbers must not be folded or damaged in any way and must be returned after the finish.
b) ‘An Australian approved and securely fastened helmet conforming to standard AS/NZ/2063 must be worn on the head at all times while riding’. Australian approved teardrop helmets cannot be used in road races but shall be allowed in road time trials and track time trials and pursuits.
c) Competitors should be neatly attired at the start of a race and at after-race presentations. Racing jerseys must be designed so as to cover the upper arms and shoulders.
d) Only equipment sanctioned and approved by the A.V.C.C. Inc. shall be permitted in races under its patronage. The bicycle shall be a conventional triangular framemade from materials suitable forbicycle construction. The maximum length shall not be more than185cm. and a width of 50cm. Either 650cm, or 700cm wheels,and drop handlebars shall be used.
For Road events two efficient hand brakes and a freewheel shall be used; Spinacci and ‘Tri’ bars are not to be used.
For Road Time Trials it may have either a fixed wheel or freewheel system, standard time trial handlebars with handlebar extensions and elbow rests.
For Track racing, in Sprints and Scratch races it shall have a fixed rear wheel. In Time Trials and Pursuits freewheel multiple gears, handlebar extensions and elbow rests may be used.
‘Flat Bars’ (Mountain bike style) shall not be permitted in any of the aforementioned disciplines.
Handlebar ends must be plugged.
e) It is an offence to compete on any bicycle unless it is mechanically sound and maintained to the highest safety standards. 'Singles' must be securely glued to the rim and road bicycles must be equipped with two efficient, independent brakes.
f) i. Only conventional racing machines as described in rule 6(d) shall be used in AVCC events and no unfair aerodynamic advantage associated with a bicycle shall be allowed, nor any modifications or construction allowed that jeopardize safety.
ii. Bicycle gear and brake controls may be modified to accommodate individual needs, however, modified controls will be mounted on conventional handlebars on a conventional bicycle.
You will note that under (e) a bike only needs to have efficient, independent brakes. Unfortunately under (d) no-one can ride a bike that actually complies. Even this one doesn't come close.

Cheers,

Cameron

cobba

Postby cobba » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:55 pm

How about some Carbon Brake Rotors to go with the carbon rims and frame ?
Last edited by cobba on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:18 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
AVCC website wrote:...
f) i. Only conventional racing machines as described in rule 6(d) shall be used in AVCC events and no unfair aerodynamic advantage associated with a bicycle shall be allowed, nor any modifications or construction allowed that jeopardize safety.
ii. Bicycle gear and brake controls may be modified to accommodate individual needs, however, modified controls will be mounted on conventional handlebars on a conventional bicycle.
Looks like you can't have modified DT shifters either.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Nobody wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:
AVCC website wrote:...
Looks like you can't have modified DT shifters either.
Yep, Drillium is out. Fortunately the DT shifter on my tandem is not modified.

The modifications intended are to deal with missing/arthritic fingers etc. It would be a heck of a mod to make a derailler to be knee operated, but possible with Di2 I suppose. I don't think that bottom-clench operated brakes are planned for anyone's future. I suspect that coaster brakes are also ruled out too.

Cheers,

Cameron

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:44 pm

Cycling "bling" has just been redefined! Nice choice Michael!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 pm

cobba wrote:How about some Carbon Brake Rotors to go with the carbon rims and frame ?
I dunno if the tech crosses the boundary but don't the cf rotors on F1 cars have to be heavily shrouded to retain heat as the rotors work best when hot?
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:25 am

Mulger bill wrote:
cobba wrote:How about some Carbon Brake Rotors to go with the carbon rims and frame ?
I dunno if the tech crosses the boundary but don't the cf rotors on F1 cars have to be heavily shrouded to retain heat as the rotors work best when hot?
I'd love to try a pair.

Re shrouding, it's to get the disc/pad combo to optimum operating temp. F1 is right at the limit.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 am

sogood wrote:Cycling "bling" has just been redefined! Nice choice Michael!
Ta. It's been a long time coming, and hopefully will look the goods when it is done.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Been doing some reading-I retract the above comment unreservedly. Seriously considering these, not for the bling or WW factor either.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Well some good progress tonight. Gear cables in (phew 8) ), discs mounted to rims, and trial fit done.

See pics below

The Thicker tube is the housing that the gear cable and thinner guide tube slide into

1st gear cable being routed - the gear cable slides into the thinner guide tube, and that pair is then routed down the downtube. The thinner tube with the cable inside then feeds into the thicker tube

Repeat steps for RD cable

Thank god that is over !!! :P

Now for some pics with wheels !!

Plenty of room for a 180mm disc at the front

and a 160mm disc at the rear (normal spec is 140mm, but the RT86 rotor is only available in 140mm for centrelock hubs :twisted: )

And now for some side shots !! (a bit of steerer tube to trim ....)

Next jobs are to start mounting the crank and TRP Parabox, which will involve hyd line trimming, bleeding and probably a bit of swearing ... :mrgreen:

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 pm

Lol, next job is to mount the rear wheel the other way around!!
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:11 am

Oh man.

Anybody want to buy a kidney?
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:35 am

Crittski wrote:Lol, next job is to mount the rear wheel the other way around!!
:oops:

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:12 am

:wink: mate those wheels look sweet on that frame!
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 am

Lol :twisted:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 am

Crawf wrote:
Lol :twisted:
Ummmm, it was a mistake on purpose to see who is paying attention .... :roll: