The ups and downs of a Cannondale owner!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The ups and downs of a Cannondale owner!

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:42 am

The delamination where the carbon starts to unbond is normal when there is continued pressure or stress after the fracture, though would also like to know about the indent. Was it there originally or perhaps happened afterwards (eg. by LBS ir yourself) in probing the extent of the damage. I am wondering if this is an impact that was the catalyst for the fracture. It is an unusual place and I think a stone would be too little though if a stick got caught in the spokes and was spun up and around hitting the frame, that is a possible freak scenario.

On the smart phone so only see the pictures in small, could be way off the mark.
Cycling is in my BNA

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:17 am

Marty Moose wrote:I know a few people who have broken carbon cannondales. The result has always been no wrty
Has anyone here had Cannondale replace a frame under warranty? Or know of friends who've been done right by?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:00 pm

My mate with the Rize 140 as noted above, but they wanted to give him a frame that didn't match the colour of the rest of his running gear.

He had to join the dots for them himself so as to get the right frame colour. They weren't going to swap the running gear to match, that was going to be his tough luck.

Contrast this to how Paul Rowney who distributes Yeti in Oz treats his customers, and Giant. Yes, they break sometimes too, but the turnaround is swift and the customers are always left with a good impression.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:03 pm

avroncotton wrote:So ........ A Cannondale Synapse (Alloy)... the frame failed around the rear dropout ...... High Mod Carbon frame...a crack in the rear seatstay. :cry: .....I am big guy (95kg) and I do put a lot of power through the frame ....

Tony
Putting "power through the frame" is one thing - this should be loading the bottom bracket and chainstays rather than the seat stays. The failure of both frames suggest that you size/weight, and possibly your riding style, places a lot of stress on the load bearing and/or stress relieving points at the rear of any bike.

I ride a Cannondale as well so I'm sorry to read of your problems. :( Mine is an alloy frame, I'm 78 kg and still don't trust carbon frames. You may have been badly advised with these two bikes and I certainly hope you can get a satisfactory resolution, but I would be looking for sturdier options in future. Good luck ! :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:18 pm

I received information which I can't confirm that 80% of frame warranty replacements are honored by Cannondale Australia.
Cycling is in my BNA

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:21 pm

I wonder how many of those Fair Trading got involved in.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Hmm, not real flash and I would agree with others that the position it has failed is one which bears a great deal of rider weight - by design.

This apparent lack of warranty assistance from Cannondale - in a number of cases - is worrying to say the least. As one who will likely be looking at a brand new bike when a personal goal has been achieved, I am striking any Cannondale carbon product straight from the list. The only reason I may still look at a CAAD10 is that a mate has one and swears by it!

Good luck with your efforts and if necessary, engage VCAT - you will in all likelihood receive a positive outcome.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

skull

Postby skull » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Howzat wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:I know a few people who have broken carbon cannondales. The result has always been no wrty
Has anyone here had Cannondale replace a frame under warranty? Or know of friends who've been done right by?
yes

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:54 pm

skull wrote:
Howzat wrote:
yes

Yes... On my 3rd warranty frame. No problems at any time.
BTW they have all been for cosmetic reasons so far... never had a frame crack.

I can not say the same about Trek, Gary Fisher, kona, Marin, Raceline, Cytek etc etc :lol:

simon2269

Postby simon2269 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:04 am

In November 2012 I discovered a crack in bottom bracket on my hi-mod synapse frame (purchased in UK), low k's, 83kg and not powerful, took it to cannondale dealer in Brisbane, had replacement frame within 1 week under warranty, same as in pic above. Great service, only gripe was no choice of colour and not a fan of the matt black/grey i received. Perhaps the hi-mods arent really made for day to day training

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:26 am

Howzat wrote:
My friend had his supersix frame crack on the chainstay, a stick got caught in the spoke, which ripped off the derailleur which fell into the spoke hitting the chainstay and cracking the frame. After kicking up a fuss cannondale australia replaced the frame under warranty as he argued the derailleur falling off caused the damage and not the stick.

nickl

Postby nickl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:18 pm

avroncotton wrote:..
So it goes back to LBS who kindly take some pics and start the warranty claim. Four weeks later after numerous calls to Cannondale I was told that the warranty has been rejected because the crack was not in a place where a manufacturing fault would happen. :evil: So now where do I go.

LBS suggests having the frame looked at by an independent carbon expert and going through consumer affairs
Possibly worth noting that it is the responsibility of your LBS to replace a faulty frame. You bought it from them so they have responsibilities under fair trading.

If they want to take it up with Cannondale then that's up to them - but it isn't your problem.

avroncotton

Postby avroncotton » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:21 pm

Update: Result!!! After an e-mail from the LBS to Cannondale. They gave me the option of a carbon or Alloy frame and I will be soon the owner of a CAAD10. Great news!!!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:01 pm

Great news - Cannondale have been recently going through a period of change, I hope that this is a positive sign of their direction.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 pm

avroncotton wrote:Update: Result!!! After an e-mail from the LBS to Cannondale. They gave me the option of a carbon or Alloy frame and I will be soon the owner of a CAAD10. Great news!!!

Excellent result - and I must say (as a recent CAAD10 purchaser myself) that you will love the thing - mine flies -even with a boat anchor of a rider attached!!!

cheers