Thigh Muscle Pictures Help

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
foo on patrol

Thigh Muscle Pictures Help

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:22 pm

As it says, can someone give me a link to some pics of the legs, so I can see the muscle definitions? I have some trouble at the moment with my left leg and would like to see what part of me is giving me merry hell at the moment. :evil:

I have had a look at some sites but it is not giving me the pics I want. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

sumgy

Re: Thigh Muscle Pictures Help

Postby sumgy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:10 pm

Might be easier for you to post a pic showing where it is hurting and someone may be able to tell you what it is?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:26 pm

Yeah I'll see what I can do. It is on the side of my thigh, where it comes down from my hip. It is painful as all hell and is causing me to limp around like an old man. Oh wait, I almost am! :(

The muscle is raised and hard, like it is swollen. Almost like someone has dead kneed me but there is no bruising or bite marks from the likes of bees or wasps. :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:41 pm

Is it up near the hip or down near the knee?

Did it start suddenly or gradually.?

What else makes it sore apart from direct pressure?

Doesn't sound fun.
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Here you go!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=leg+muscle+anatomy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:04 pm

Ok Sogood I did google it but none of the sites gave me that one. :roll:

It looks like it is the gluteus muscle, so I will now have a look as to why, it would be giving me grief, out of the blue. :x

Coffeeandwine, it is from the top of the leg down and it started feeling sore on Wednesday morning and got progressively worse, over the next few days. :evil:
I could understand it if, I had bashed it against something and bruising came up but none of that has happened. :?

Foo
Goal 6000km

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Foo,
Have you been doing any harder-than-normal seated climbing or high-gear/low-cadence riding recently?

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:20 pm

No mate, I was driving the truck all week when it started. I did do some time on the mag trainer on the weekend but I didn't go over board there neither. :?

Foo
Goal 6000km

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Have you been stretching your glutes?
Lower back issues can present syptoms of tightness there as well
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Have you been stretching your glutes?
Lower back issues can present syptoms of tightness there as well
You might be onto something here Baz, as I have noticed that my LHS of my back (on top of the hips) has started feeling sore and like my RHS with sciatica pain. :x

Foo
Goal 6000km

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Time to choose an option I think, each is different
physio
chiro
massage

I went the physio route initially then one day just sitting down and putting shoes on BAM there it went in a blaze of glory. Pain bleeding down into my right leg pretty bad. I thought it was sciatica pain as well, but turned out was my L5 in my lower back. Got myself to a chiro and he sorted me out pretty quick. I'm having regular checkups now :evil: But that rumble roller I've got my lower back been feeling better n better. Each time I go back when he goes deep I can't really feel many knots down there now

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:56 pm

But is the chiro working on the cause or the result?.
Sore lower back on a bike is usually due to lack of core strength and lack of flexibility IMO.
You gotta fight the old age tightening up Foo :P .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Easier said than done TLL, when you're away all week in a truck! :(

Just gets to me at times because the only thing that saved me from being a vegetable when hit by the truck was, I was very fit and young. :wink: And this was my Dr telling me, as he was astounded that, I didn't have more injuries to my body and my nut (head) was working fine after. :mrgreen: Maybe not pretty but you know! :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Chuck a yoga mate and foam roller in the truck... probably do you a load of good after been sitting all day.
15 to 30 minutes every couple of days is heaps.
But not only stretching / rolling ... I could stretch all day long and the next day I would tighten up again. The strength work seems to help loosen things up more than the stretching IMO.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:04 pm

Add seeing an osteopath as an option.

I used to see a chiropractor once a month for recurring back pain (between shoulder blades). At the end of each session I'd feel good. However 4 weeks later I'd be looking forward to my next session to relieve the very same complaint. 12 months later I saw an osteopath who said (laymansvterms) my thigh was pulling out my hip which was pulling on my back. 3 sessions within 10 days and the problem was gone. That was 6 odd years ago.

I'm not saying it'll work for you. I'm just putting it out there as an option that you may not have considered
2012 Oppy A4

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:05 pm

Sciatica? Time for a medical review I suspect. If it's a new symptom, it's always worth having it reviewed medically to exclude certain primary pathologies.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:07 pm

I will have to look into these things I think! :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:48 am

I get ITB issues and roller etc for this. All to do with glute strength for me and I constantly strengthen this area. Lately the top of my hip was sore after running. Physio had a poke and it appears to be tfl - Tensor fasciae late muscle. Sits at the top of the ITB. I've been worki on this with another torturendevicencalled a Pocket Physio and it's helping greatly. Almost back to normal :)

Anyway, my hip, lower back, butt, and thigh felt pain at various times during treatment...the hip bone's connected to the leg bone :)

I'd check in with a physio initially.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:57 am

KonaCommuter wrote:Add seeing an osteopath as an option.

I used to see a chiropractor once a month for recurring back pain (between shoulder blades). At the end of each session I'd feel good. However 4 weeks later I'd be looking forward to my next session to relieve the very same complaint. 12 months later I saw an osteopath who said (laymansvterms) my thigh was pulling out my hip which was pulling on my back. 3 sessions within 10 days and the problem was gone. That was 6 odd years ago.

I'm not saying it'll work for you. I'm just putting it out there as an option that you may not have considered
You know what, I had that sneaking suspicion and asked physio, NOPE, asked chiro NOPE. But since I started getting back problems my cycling distance has majorly dropped going from 8000km down to 3000km and this year I've managed 265km and 110km of that was in the past week, and I've got similar plans to do 110-160km this week. So if my back flares up again with cycling ramping up, guess where I'm going... Osteopath

vander

Postby vander » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 am

Baalzamon wrote:Time to choose an option I think, each is different
physio
chiro
massage

I went the physio route initially then one day just sitting down and putting shoes on BAM there it went in a blaze of glory. Pain bleeding down into my right leg pretty bad. I thought it was sciatica pain as well, but turned out was my L5 in my lower back. Got myself to a chiro and he sorted me out pretty quick. I'm having regular checkups now :evil: But that rumble roller I've got my lower back been feeling better n better. Each time I go back when he goes deep I can't really feel many knots down there now
That be a chiro for you as TLL hinted at they often dont deal with the underlying cause of the problem.
Last edited by vander on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a

Postby a » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 pm

toolonglegs wrote:The strength work seems to help loosen things up more than the stretching IMO.
This.

I am coming to the view that my tightness is more a symptom than underlying cause.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:32 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Add seeing an osteopath as an option.

Seeing a chiropractor is (IMO) about as useful as visiting a witch-doctor:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... ropractic/

Actually visiting a witch-doctor and have would be less dangerous:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... troke.html

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:39 pm

foo on patrol wrote: can someone give me a link to some pics of the legs, I have had a look at some sites but it is not giving me the pics I want.
Foo, you sicko, this is a family site.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:59 pm

ft_critical wrote:
foo on patrol wrote: can someone give me a link to some pics of the legs, I have had a look at some sites but it is not giving me the pics I want.
Foo, you sicko, this is a family site.
Hehe, good onya, not really. A deviate with a twisted sense of humour, yes. :twisted:

Going to Dr on Saturday as I still have an enlarged area from the top of the hip for about 200mm :shock:

Foo

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:56 am

Well, I now have to go and get scans on my thigh and ankle. X-rays on my shoulders and ankle. :(

Sucks to be getting older. :roll:

Foo