Otway Rainforest Ride Report

wizdofaus

Otway Rainforest Ride Report

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:55 am

http://pedalingtowork.blogspot.com/2013 ... -ride.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Sorry, mainly written for non-cyclists so not really any technical detail)

il padrone

Re: Otway Rainforest Ride Report

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:13 am

Brilliant photo-essay of the 140km road loop here as well.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 am

Cool, thanks. I gather that was from 3 years ago when they first held it - I guess they didn't do the Otway Fly bit then. Maybe it hadn't been as hot in previous years either, and the distance between the water stops hadn't been an issue.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:57 am

The 2010 event was in early December so yes, it would not have had such a high temperatures. Also 2010 was a wet winter/spring so the conditions would have been less harsh with that as well.

These ride pics by the way were from a small group ride along the route, not the actual event.
Mandatory helmet law?

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:39 pm

It was warm last year, too. Definitely a two bidon job. :smile:

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:01 pm

clackers wrote:It was warm last year, too. Definitely a two bidon job. :smile:
Was surprised on the map that it's only 40km from Lavers Hill to Cape Otway Lighthouse, but on a 31+ degree day riding at any decent sort of pace I reckon you'd need 3 to make it without having to ration.
I desperately wanted to pour a little over my head to wash out the sweat dripping into and stinging my eyes (which aside from the headaches when dehydrated and going into the crouch is really the only time I feel discomfort while cycling - actually I did also forget to mention the kamikaze march flies that left two nasty lumps on my neck, but that's probably for the best on a cycling-advocacy blog!), but there was no way I could afford even a drop for anything other than drinking. There literally was nowhere you could even stop and buy water from along that stretch as far as I could see.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:21 pm

I didn't get to the Lighthouse, I decided to get it over and done with and just rode on from the water stop. Beautiful scenery like the Turton's Track, though - a wonderful ride I'll probably do again next year.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:02 pm

wizdofaus wrote:I desperately wanted to pour a little over my head to wash out the sweat dripping into and stinging my eyes (which aside from the headaches when dehydrated and going into the crouch is really the only time I feel discomfort while cycling
You need Halo bandanna or headband. :idea: Keeps your head cool, blocks UV, and diverts any sweat out of your eyes.

Image Image
Mandatory helmet law?

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:05 pm

il padrone wrote:
wizdofaus wrote:I desperately wanted to pour a little over my head to wash out the sweat dripping into and stinging my eyes (which aside from the headaches when dehydrated and going into the crouch is really the only time I feel discomfort while cycling
You need Halo bandanna or headband. :idea: Keeps your head cool, blocks UV, and diverts any sweat out of your eyes.
Headband, definitely, I've been meaning to look into it, thanks for the link. Bandanna...hmm...nah...definitely not me.

Update: just bought one, $11 on eBay :-)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Shame. The bandanna is functionally better for me. It gives excellent UV blockout, and when you keep it a little wet you stay marvellously cool from evaporative cooling. :D
Mandatory helmet law?