Night time M7 Riding

vince

Night time M7 Riding

Postby vince » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:44 pm

hey all, I'm about to lose my saturday morning rides due to work/family commitments but i'm considering hitting the M7 around 10 - 11pm friday nights instead. what is the 7 like of a night? usual things safety, lighting people numbers etc.
thanks
vince
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Night time M7 Riding

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:23 am

M7 at night is a dream. 'tis lovely, quiet and well lit. Enjoy it on these summer nights.

vince

Postby vince » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:36 am

thanks BFV, i'll try my luck next friday i think,
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:58 am

I am curious as to the Friday night behaviour of the local "wildlife"
Anything you can do, I can do slower

r2160

Postby r2160 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:42 am

Still make sure you have a good front and rear light.

I have ridden it at night and its great, but not all of it is well lit.

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:06 pm

find_bruce wrote:I am curious as to the Friday night behaviour of the local "wildlife"
Biggest risk is from the toolbags who string man-traps across the path. So a very good headlight
and some caution around the known trouble spots especially Dean Park between Richmond Rd
and Simmons Rd in school holiday times.

Otherwise, it's quite a pleasant ride at night - I've done it regularly just after sunset in winter time.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

kom123

Postby kom123 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:59 am

I've done a few night rides there over the last couple of weeks starting at the Sunnyholt Road western entrance and going either to just past Rooty Hill or as far as Elizabeth Drive. Starting times ranged from 8.30pm to 10.00pm and thankfully no trouble yet. Usually see a few riders on my way down but I'm often solo on the return leg.

westab

Postby westab » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:39 pm

It is generally OK - like others here good lights are a must. Also the ammount of glass on the M7 in the school holidays goes up (probably double) so tyres with good puncture protection is also required.

Personally I have had no problems riding at night alone but like always a health amount of common sense is required. There are at some times the odd person who is up to no good - in the last 3 years riding home on Thursday night (about 40 weeks per year) at about 10pm I have seen about half a dozen people that have inspired extra pace and the next exit (in case there are more around). So not realy concerning - so it realy is "Be alert & smart". I find at that time of night back roads in the Blacktown area have more "silly" people than this.

It is still a great places to ride even at night.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:57 pm

westab wrote: It is still a great places to ride even at night.
To counter-balance some of our cautions above, the police do get out and patrol it regularly. It's not a just
once-up-and-down to show the flag - their patrol is typically 6 hours in the evening.

Last time I saw them was last Wednesday. If you have any concerns about behavior you see around the
cycleway, give the police a call; they determine how often to patrol based on reports like that, and
appreciate intel about where to focus their attention.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:35 pm

wombatK wrote:Biggest risk is from the toolbags who string man-traps across the path.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: