Disk for Rohloff hub - BB7 compatable

RonK

Re: Disk for Rohloff hub - BB7 compatable

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:04 pm

il padrone wrote:
RonK wrote:
il padrone wrote:The Duo rack can be used similarly as a lifting handle.
Err, no. Not the way I've used it anyway. The hoop handle comes into it's own when you need help to drag your fully loaded bike through a flooded ford, a bog hole or a sand patch, or to lift it into the back of a vehicle. I've encountered all these situations on tour.
Yes, dealt with similar. The Duo can be used to lift, with panniers fitted, maybe not quite so easy one handed from the front, but fine otherwise. I generally do such dragging using the seat post and handlebars anyway - dragging using the hoop the bike tends to want to fall over sideways.
RonK wrote:And then there is the issue that the standard Ortlieb lower clips don't fit the 16mm Duo tubes very well, and you have to buy another set for a really secure fitting. Small matter I know.
The Duo main support tubes are 16mm, but the pannier mount tubes are 10mm. Same as with the Tara.
Err - no again. I referred to the lower hooks, the lower tubes are definitely thicker than the top pannier tube - 16mm (or maybe it's 14mm). And I've seen your posts about changing the lower hook to make it fit.

I did buy a Duo, but didn't like the way the lower hooks fitted. Luckily I was able move it on when I got rid of my Surly.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Got the Ortlieb 16mm lower clips.

Most of the Tubus front racks have a similar lower support tube diameter... certainly the Tara does. I think some of their earlier designs (Ergo?) had 10mm lower tubing, but it is not as rigid (10mm versus 16mm) and I really prefer the minimal design of the Tara & Duo racks.

Anyway it's all mainly aesthetics as I said, and it does the same job for me.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:54 pm

il padrone wrote:Anyway it's all mainly aesthetics as I said, and it does the same job for me.
Quite - and to me the stainless steel Nova, with its thin and elegant tubes and no paint or powder coating to be chafed by the panniers is aesthetically superior. Adding to the overall aesthetics is the balance of the tubing size with the (also stainless steel) Cosmo rear rack.

The stiffness of the 10mm tubing is simply a non-issue.

I like looking at the hoop as I ride along, it pleases me to see it there.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:00 pm

il padrone wrote:Got the Ortlieb 16mm lower clips.

Yes, them's the ones - Ortlieb QL1 hooks, for older 16mm racks. Now superseded by the QL2 hooks, which are made for the current 10mm racks.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:53 pm

Is the Tubus Nova's "hoop" likely to restrict tyre width eg. 29x2.35 :?:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

cobba

Postby cobba » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:23 am

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:18 am

rifraf wrote:Is the Tubus Nova's "hoop" likely to restrict tyre width eg. 29x2.35 :?:
Sorry Aidan - missed this question somehow.

The Sabbath is still packed from last tour, so I can't show you how the Nova fits a 700c wheel. This is how the Nova fits over the 26" x 2" tyre fitted to a VN Pioneer. There is 15mm clearance each side and 45mm over the top. It is mounted on the lowest mounting point and could be raised a further 10mm if required. There would be plenty of clearance for a 29" X 2.35"

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:50 pm

Have you worked out which disc to get yet Aidan - is this page on Bike24 any help?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:57 pm

RonK wrote:Have you worked out which disc to get yet Aidan - is this page on Bike24 any help?
Hi Ron,
I ended up going with the disk from Wiggle in my first post.
It was recommended in another forum and whilst others here recommended different ones, no one suggested the one I listed was particularly inferior.

I'm still not 100% sure of the frame to purchase yet.
Whilst the Ogre ticks more boxes than most I'm a little disappointed in whats involved in fixing a rear puncture, especially if I'm running fenders (as I do).

On the other hand, I dont want to pay the big bucks for a Co-motion frame or its ilk, so I'm concentrating on getting the incidentals like rims/spokes/dynohub/racks/rear panniers etc. for now.
Just got some new N/Wave Drifter shoes after my hosts dog ate my last pair the first week I arrived. The dogs now history so hopefully these ones get a longer lifespan than the last..
Of course I forgot to get cleats so on the way with the disk is a set of Shimano SH-56 with lots of float for my poor joints.
Also coming in this order is a Elite Ciussi Gel Bottle Cage to replace one I cracked on the Moulton on my way over to WA.

I am looking at bike24 for racks and an ortlieb rear roller classic pannier set.
Shame their Son28 is only 32H for spokes :roll: Because their price is very keen

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 pm

You will not have any dramas with 32 spokes. Is a Thorn Nomad off the cards for this bike?? Price is not too bad - mine cost me $820 and it has performed faultlessly.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 pm

il padrone wrote:You will not have any dramas with 32 spokes. Is a Thorn Nomad off the cards for this bike?? Price is not too bad - mine cost me $820 and it has performed faultlessly.
Hi IP,
no its not off the cards as nothing is yet.
The Thorn Nomad ticks a lot of the boxes as well but top of my wish list is a 29er.............
Running 700c's with fat tyres (2.35) I'd like to have 36 spokes for my peace of mind.
The Nomad is still a possibility if I decide to settle for 26" but then so are some others.
It is particulary cost effective which does make it attractive as bang for buck is high on my list.
Had the Nomad the option of front and rear BB7's it would have made the choice a lot easier.
Its not a biggie at the mo.
Its too hot here in WA for me to want to tour currently so I dont need to panic.
I'm actually just enjoying the small amount of riding that I'm currently doing on the Moulton which I enjoy immensely.
If it had better off road capabilities with a trailer and water carrying I'd not change it. If I was traveling more overseas or not wanting to get off the tarmac
then it would still be my favorite and keeper bike.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:39 am

rifraf wrote:Whilst the Ogre ticks more boxes than most I'm a little disappointed in whats involved in fixing a rear puncture, especially if I'm running fenders (as I do).
There are a few things I dislike about Surly bikes, but this is the killer for me.

Co-motion Co-motion Co-motion Co-motion Co-motion :) :) :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:10 pm

Just realised the picture I posted here gives a good idea of the Nova hoop clearance using a 700Cx32 tyre.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:12 pm

RonK wrote:Just realised the picture I posted here gives a good idea of the Nova hoop clearance using a 700Cx32 tyre.
Hi Ron
It does indeed - Thanks!
Why do U favor the Co-mo over the Van Nic varients :?:
I see they do a couple of 29ers now including a Zion Rohloff for similar money :idea:
Their 26" Zion Rohloff ticks a lot of boxes whilst on special for $678.24 at PlanetX :!:
Not sure how they fit a rear carrier though with the rear disk situated where it is.
It does have rack mounts apparently. :?
They are doing the Pioneer for $813.90 on special currently.
I see Van Nic have created a 29er version now, but not currently mentioned at Planetx :(

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:38 pm

I have not looked at the VN site in ages, so not familiar with recent updates.

The Co-motion is the only 29er Rohloff touring bike I'm aware of.

And actually, my choice bike would be the idworx easy tiRohler, which is actually manufactured by Lynskey, but I've never been able to find a bike shop willing to export one.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:01 pm

RonK wrote:I have not looked at the VN site in ages, so not familiar with recent updates. .
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102203452" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.vannicholas.com/74/Pioneer_R ... /bike.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.vannicholas.com/Mountain/6/allbikes.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and as nice as those IDworx bikes are, if I had that kind of money to spend, my touring would probably be from Sheriton to Whaldorf hotel chains and not a bivybag on the side of the road. :lol: :lol: :lol:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Oh well, the Hope Mono Mini Rotor for my Rohloff hub turned up today after a bit longer than I usually have to wait for wiggle stuff.
Thankfully they sent the correct 4 bolt version as ordered and I'm looking forward to mounting my replacement bottle cage on the Moulton.
The old one is attached via cables after a fall damaged the one on the seattube. Included in the wiggle box were some sh-56 cleats so I'll be donning my
new Northwave Drifter shoes at some stage today and going for a ride.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:30 pm

RonK wrote:Just realised the picture I posted here gives a good idea of the Nova hoop clearance using a 700Cx32 tyre.
Ron your pic helped my decision with regards the Nova. :D
I've been shopping with Ze Germans of the pedestrian postage. :roll:
I dont know whats being going on with the Poms at c r c or the Wrigglers at Wiggle but their prices arnt cutting it lately. :(
Still waiting on my Starbike order of some CX-Ray spokes and a Rohloff OEM2 plate.
Bike24 just confirmed my rack order with bottom bracket, Ortlieb rear roller classics, BB7 brakes and levers and some Big Apples to try.
Not yet sure if I need them but I grabbed some Tubus "Extension part for rear carriers" as well.

Bike24 is, I've only just noticed, very good with the prices and availability of Schwalbe tyres so I can soon see some Supremes and Mondails being ordered and trialed. :D

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:51 pm

Enjoy the wait though...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:10 pm

MattyK wrote:Enjoy the wait though...
Tell me about it :lol: :lol:
The sooner things are sent by "teleporter" like whats on Startrek the better. I remember as a kid laughing at the transponders and now we have mobile phones, so the "beam me up my starbike packages Jerry" cant be too far away! :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:33 pm

rifraf wrote:
MattyK wrote:Enjoy the wait though...
Tell me about it :lol: :lol:
The sooner things are sent by "teleporter" like whats on Startrek the better. I remember as a kid laughing at the transponders and now we have mobile phones, so the "beam me up my starbike packages Jerry" cant be too far away! :wink:
Just pull the cork on another Hunter Valley red. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by RonK on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:46 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:[
Just pull the cork on another Hunter Valley red.
The way the investment in this build is going, I'll be supping cask wine :shock:
Still I think I've a few emergency bottles of Penfolds hidden about somewhere. I think its only Rawsons Retreat, but its a quaffable little merlot. :o
A little something to alleviate the pain of my wallet.
My hosts will be hiding the cooking wine next. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Might have to celebrate the completion of my new bike with a Margret River wine tour :idea: :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:13 pm

rifraf wrote:Might have to celebrate the completion of my new bike with a Margret River wine tour :idea: :D
Now you're talking... :idea:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 pm

rifraf wrote:Their 26" Zion Rohloff ticks a lot of boxes whilst on special for $678.24 at PlanetX :!:
Not sure how they fit a rear carrier though with the rear disk situated where it is.
It is a MTB, with front suspension, at least according to the Van Nicholas site, not really a touring bike ???
rifraf wrote:They are doing the Pioneer for $813.90 on special currently.
I see Van Nic have created a 29er version now, but not currently mentioned at Planetx :(
Don't know where you are getting these amazing price deals :?: Van Nicholas list the Pioneer Rohloff at 3428 Euro :shock:
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm

il padrone wrote:
rifraf wrote:Their 26" Zion Rohloff ticks a lot of boxes whilst on special for $678.24 at PlanetX :!:
It is a MTB, with front suspension, at least according to the Van Nicholas site, not really a touring bike ???
rifraf wrote:They are doing the Pioneer for $813.90 on special currently.
Don't know where you are getting these amazing price deals :?: Van Nicholas list the Pioneer Rohloff at 3428 Euro :shock:
The zion is a mountain bike but then so is the Ogre barring all its bolt on ability. It caught my eye having disk brakes and its weight or lack there of - of course.
The price deals were frame only but still amazing and I did link to them in other threads. Mostly at Planetx with regards to the Van Nic frames.
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRV ... om_bracket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd have considered them more but the specials were 26' wheels and with the other unticked boxes I wanted, the Ogre won out.
Van Nic now does both the Pioneer and the disk braked Zion in 29er but at pricing that made me hesitate.
Did you see I linked a Thorn Nomad for sale in Norther NSW in your Nomad thread? If I see cheapies I usually yell it form the rooftops. :D