Good Samaritan

humanbeing

Good Samaritan

Postby humanbeing » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Good karma to the gentleman who pulled over his car and ran up with a track pump as I fixed a flat on Darley Rd beside Centennial Park this morning.
Thank you!
Have a great ride,
Peter
2012 Jim Bundy
1995 Bosevski - Athena
mid/late eighties Colnago Cromor

dagadgetman

Re: Good Samaritan

Postby dagadgetman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Sometimes these forums can get a bit depressing. Thank you for reminding us that there are decent and thoughtful people out there as well.
2011 Giant Defy Advanced 2

dagadgetman

Postby dagadgetman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Also sad that this thread didn't generate some similar tales. Maybe not enough drama or angst. Sigh! There is a pleasing letter in the new issue of bicycling Australia mag, along similar lines, buy a copy and take heart. The good walk among us!
2011 Giant Defy Advanced 2

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Nothing from car drivers yet, but a few other very helpful cyclists.

And I've done it myself a few times - lending a CO2 canister to someone else who had a puncture and only a little hand-held bicycle-pump.

Oh actually, one car driver a while back where I had to cross a road (I was on a shared path) actually reversed back to let me go across the front of her car. She noticed I was going really slow at the time to try and time it so I went across after she'd moved off. Awesome lady! :D I gave her a friendly wave and the best smile I could muster. 8)
dagadgetman wrote:Sometimes these forums can get a bit depressing. Thank you for reminding us that there are decent and thoughtful people out there as well.
Amen! All the depressing topics and the angst/flamebait is enough to put you off riding.

westab

Postby westab » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:00 pm

So true - most of us humans do look to help each other.

I had one driver who saw a front light fall off my bike (only a 1w blinker) stop before running it over. I had stopped to get it but didn't get the chance as the passenger got out and got it for me. This was last Thursday night - so they are out there just waiting for a chance to help.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:19 am

Was a while ago now but I stopped to see if a guy needed help with a flat. This was on the Illawong side of Alford's Point bridge sometime after about 6pm (was dark). Then again, I'm also a cyclist so it's not really a motorist stopping to help is it ;p
2010 BMC SLC01

LG

Postby LG » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:56 am

A while ago now, but I must also thank the lovely young lady who stopped her car to ask if I was ok after I'd clip stacked at an intersection :oops: . I was tangled under my bike at the time with about 5-10kg of gear in my panniers. The only harm was to my pride. Not sure I'd go down this route again on the odd chance of meeting women.
LG = Low Gear

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:11 am

Speaking of lovely young ladies. I was fixing a flat one night in the carpark near Denistone railway station in Sydney. It was dark and I was using a small shaft of light spilling from the nearby pedestrian overpass to make it easier to see what I was doing. A young lady came off the train and noticed me as she walked through the carpark to her car. I was surprised a few minutes later when she manoeuvred her car so that I could work by the light of her headlights. I was nearly finished, but she was more than happy to sit there for the few minutes it took me to get back on the road. A simple act, and even though I didn’t really need it, most appreciated.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:15 pm

I had four or five cars stop to offer assistance/lift when I got caught with a flat and had run out of tubes one night last year. My husband was already on his way to pick me up, but it was very nice to have so many offers of help.

Plus the response I got (albeit from other cyclists) when I stacked in the Great Vic Bike Ride last year was awesome. I'll bet most of them are motorists as well as cyclists.

ohexploitable

Postby ohexploitable » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:40 pm

cheers to the dudes who called the ambulance for me the other night when i stacked it :)

wish i got your number or something but unfortunately i was a bit preoccupied with a broken clavicle :/
I DIDN'T EAT FOR THREE DAYS SO I COULD BE LOVELY