ride to canberra

zero

Re: ride to canberra

Postby zero » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:03 pm

I'll have to decline for those dates, 31st is the three ring circus race, which I've been looking forward to all year :twisted:

Don't think the cityrail/country link timetables are workable for what you want to do in 1 day. The later train is only avaliable on sundays, not saturdays.

238 kms direct station to station. If there are a few people coming on the 2 lines to cambelltown, earliest start is 6:30. Train back leaves at 5:00pm, Won't make the train back - ie get to the station without time to pack up bikes if rolling at 27 and losing an hour to food, mechanicals etc.

The rubbish timetable really bites me for three ring circus too. I have to go to Goulburn the night before, and take the 5:54 back in the morning to get to Wingello. 5:25 start from a tablelands farm in winter - might even remember my motorcycle gloves this time :)

I'm going to Goulburn next weekend, if Friday isn't hectic, I'll experiment with a partial trip. Really need 30km/hr averages to pull it off as a 1 dayer.

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:28 am

Wayfarer wrote:Thanks Timbo! Drove down there today to take a look soon as I woke up, and there indeed was no cycle lane :( The road was hardly wide enough for two cars to be there at the same time. Is there a bicycle lane on the alternate route for the whole way Hannos? The construction looks like it'll take at least a month or more on the F5..
The construction will take more like a year or two.
So far they have done widening from the M5/M7 junction to the Campbelltown turnoff and I'm sure that has taken a couple of years. I think they must get paid by the hour.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:19 pm

timbo wrote:The construction will take more like a year or two.
So far they have done widening from the M5/M7 junction to the Campbelltown turnoff and I'm sure that has taken a couple of years. I think they must get paid by the hour.
Ahh yes, I was being ridiculously optimistic :( It seems two people have the 3 ring circus on that day, so maybe the week after. If we have to stay the night, does anyone know someone on this site we could perhaps stay in the back room of? Or cheapest accommodation for 3-5 people?
What are these salesmen peddling?

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:24 pm

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?ci ... kgXx4ZmgBw
$50/night

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&cl ... d=0CAQQtgM
$106/night

Both within 1km of Canberra train station, and double beds (so really $50pp).

Or if we're real slow,
http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?ci ... lAXP26mPBw
$105/night, just near the entrance to Canberra.

daniel.s

ride to canberra

Postby daniel.s » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:48 pm

I'm interested, depending on when it happens.
2011 Giant Defy 1

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:51 pm

daniel.s wrote:I'm interested, depending on when it happens.
Daniel from Mac Fields with a Giant in his picture.. You wouldn't happen to be a redhead from Mac Tri by any chance? :) Most people aren't liking the cold (one member PM'ed me to say it was snowing in Canberra!) so this will probably happen closer to the end of the year..

daniel.s

ride to canberra

Postby daniel.s » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Wayfarer wrote:Daniel from Mac Fields with a Giant in his picture.. You wouldn't happen to be a redhead from Mac Tri by any chance? :)
No, that's not me. :)

How about in November, before it gets too warm?
2011 Giant Defy 1

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:17 pm

daniel.s wrote:
Wayfarer wrote:Daniel from Mac Fields with a Giant in his picture.. You wouldn't happen to be a redhead from Mac Tri by any chance? :)
No, that's not me. :)

How about in November, before it gets too warm?
Oh, I must be mistaken then.. November sounds good; no moronic christmas drivers, and the end of spring.. I've done a couple rides of 100km+ with all my gear, just to see what happens. It's been all good, and i dont think i've overlooked anything; I've set it up as follows

Left back pocket; multi-tool, box with tire-levers/glue/patches/sticker-patches/pin (to remove glass), spare tube
Middle back pocket; spare tube, sachets of sunscreen, gatorade, few gels, antibacterial wipes, bandaids, spare tube
Right back pocket; phone, keys, wallet, pump, two uncle tobys muesli bars
two gels sticky taped on the top tube

Also have a third tube, third bottle, and spare tire attached super-aero-style, like this (fashioned it from a few cable ties and elastic bands) :)

Worked out the stops which aren't too much of a detour as well; a Mobil service station (45km), Marulan (112km), and a 1km detour to Goulburn (141km) can adequately supply food and water.. and all on separate lanes to traffic. (kfc in Marulan, mcdonalds/subway in Goulburn). Hardest part will be getting from Goulburn to Canberra.. about 80km left to ride, with nowhere to stop, (but i hear it's mostly flat?)

misterhoang

Postby misterhoang » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:33 pm

yup the last 80kms is pretty flat,
and i reckon november is a good time to ride, theres more daylight cause of daylight savings and its not to hot

Old and Rusty

Postby Old and Rusty » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Ok, here's the elevations from Campbelltown on ramp to Lyneham which is before the CBD. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/102287100

There are heaps of rest areas south of Goulburn and almost all have water and a lot have toilets.
There are servos at Pheasants Nest, Sutton Forest, Marulan, Goulburn just off the second exit and that's about it until you hit the outskirts of Canberra.
There are road works at Marulan South Rd which have no shoulder at all so if they aren't finished you'll be sharing the lane with cars doing 80kph.
At Wingcarribee River there is a narrow shoulder and debris down most of the Dipper just after Mittigong and there are narrow or no shoulder on bridges at Cordeax Creek, Narumbullah Creek, Wollogerang Crk and after the Yass River there's a stretch of narrow shoulder for a while.
Lot's of the shoulder on bitumin road is pretty crap, bumpy and most of the trip will have debris on the shoulder so take a spare tyre or two and lots of tubes.

I'll probably get back down there in the next few weeks so I'll try and make something more detailed with distances from C'town on ramp.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:00 pm

Hey, cheers for the mapping mate! That's real helpful (except the temperature - what happened there?) Im pretty happy with the elevation too; might just fill two water bottles for the first 50km since it seems to have the bulk of the elevation, then fill up the third one afterwards. Out of curiosity, was everything (which exits lead where) well marked with signs and such? And how long is the shoulderless south marulan road? I'm guessing the bridges aren't too much of a hassle, if traffic is light...

Old and Rusty

ride to canberra

Postby Old and Rusty » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:31 am

My Garmin was sitting on the dash of the truck with the demister running and got hot. Everything is well signposted so you won't miss anything. The Marulan roadworks go for about 500m.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ

kom123

Postby kom123 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:33 am

Did this ride ever eventuate? Keen to hear how you got on and if it was harder or easier than expected.

bradey_boy

Postby bradey_boy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:09 pm

Pretty keen if this gets up. Could possibly convince at least one other local from up this way...