Cyclist in hospital after attack by motorist in NZ.

Ross

Cyclist in hospital after attack by motorist in NZ.

Postby Ross » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:12 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10867786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The attack happened on Broadlands Rd, near Taupo. The rider was flown to Rotorua Hospital. Photo / Greenlea rescue helicopter

An entrant in this weekend's Ironman triathlon in Taupo suffered serious injuries in a road-rage attack yesterday in which a motorist allegedly chased him down while he was on a training cycle ride.

It is the second serious incident involving an Ironman competitor in a month and has led to renewed calls for drivers and motorists to stay calm on roads.

The Taupo triathlete, 49, was pedalling on Broadlands Rd near the town when he was allegedly pushed off his bike by a man who has now been charged with assault.

Police spokeswoman Kim Perks said a ute overtook another vehicle while travelling in the opposite direction to the cyclist. The cyclist believed the ute came too close to him and he admitted he gave the finger gesture to the driver.

"The ute then turned around, travelled back up Broadlands Rd and pulled over ahead of the cyclist. As the cyclist pulled wide to go around the ute, it is alleged that the driver chased him on foot and pushed him off his bike."

Ms Perks said the cyclist was suspected to have suffered serious pelvic injuries and a broken collarbone.

The motorist, aged 21, was later arrested in Reporoa. He is scheduled to appear in the Taupo District Court tomorrow, charged with assault.

The police want to hear from anyone who saw the incident, about 12.45pm, and hope to find the driver of the car passed by the ute, a silver Toyota Hilux.

The Greenlea rescue helicopter flew the cyclist to Rotorua Hospital, where he was in a serious condition last night.

Cycle Action Auckland chairwoman Barbara Cuthbert was appalled when told of the attack, but she did not condone discourtesy by cyclists.

"You're unwise to give people the fingers. I think it's a rude behaviour. We promote courtesy on the road, from all parties. If someone has come too close to you, that's annoying, and maybe people in a fit of annoyance give the fingers; we would never recommend that.

"The fact the driver was too close is really annoying, but the unforgivable aspect was that the driver then assaulted the cyclist.

"Despite the actions of the cyclist, the bottom line is that the violence demonstrated by the ute driver is deplorable and inexcusable."

Ms Cuthbert urged cyclists to adopt the Good Bunch safe road-sharing initiative of Tamaki Drive road cyclists in Auckland. Cyclists had reported that the principle "Courtesy works - a wave and a smile" allowed riders to retain control, and promoted good behaviour by motorists.

This month, the Herald reported how Ironman entrant Glen Cornwell was hit from behind by an SUV while on a training ride in the Waitakere Ranges. He had to have surgery to stabilise a fractured vertebra.

Mr Cornwell was disgusted at being offered a partial refund, of $150, on his entry fee of more than $800 - he wanted his entry transferred to next year's race.

Last February, Jamie Curtis Pene, of Wellington, admitted punching US cyclist Russ Roca at an intersection in the city.

Safe scheme

*No more than two riders abreast, or 20 per bunch.
*200m between bunches.
*Courtesy works - give a wave and a smile.

il padrone

Re: Cyclist in hospital after attack by motorist in NZ.

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:19 am

Truly appalling. I really feel for the cyclist.

However this is why I now am very happy to just wave and blow kisses at them.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:40 pm

Nice nice at all :(. That was my neighoured as a young fellow. Grew-up in Mihi (Reporoa) then Rotorua.

Andrew

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Yeah I gave the finger as a 15 year old in NZ... I think before I do it these days. Well actually I don't think about it anymore as I don't really have traffic issues anymore.
While I certainly don't condone what happened, it shows little things can get out of control quick.

Plus for me personally 12 is my preferred maximum size for a bunch... 20 really is pretty big and cars often take risks getting past.

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:29 pm

Inner calm is what's needed.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:50 pm

To be honest I think the article is a bit too kind to the ute driver. Overtaking and passing a cyclist too close on that kind of road isn't 'annoying' it's extremely dangerous, potentially lethal. I'd certainly give the finger to some prick who nearly killed me and passing too close like that is illegal and worthy of punishment even without the assault.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:49 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:To be honest I think the article is a bit too kind to the ute driver. Overtaking and passing a cyclist too close on that kind of road isn't 'annoying' it's extremely dangerous, potentially lethal. I'd certainly give the finger to some prick who nearly killed me and passing too close like that is illegal and worthy of punishment even without the assault.
I'd have to agree with this x100.

What some people may not be picking is that the close passing by the ute driver was while he was travelling in the opposite direction to the cyclist and overtaking another car. This on a two-lane road ie. he would have been well over on the cyclist's side of the road. This sort of driving behaviour is something I have encountered several times myself, solo and in groups, on country roads. It is a very disturbing incident with the potential on its own for dire consequences, and reflects a huge degree of arrogance and blatant disrespect for the rights of others to travel safely on our roads.

Personally I'd be in favour of such drivers being thrown in prison for a nice cooling off period then losing their licence for 2-5 years :x
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

Apple

Postby Apple » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 pm

How many times have I given the finger? They know they are in a car and can cause great damage to a rider. Something snaps in a driver’s brain when they are in a car, it sort of like the hulk thing going on. Once you give the finger or yell at them they look at a cyclist like we are ants.
Sorry if this seems harsh but that’s just how I see it.
You can’t give me the finger, you are nothing, you are in lycra. Look at me, I am in a V8 and I can squash you like a fly.
:cry:
sorry thats just me being angry after reading this post. I will be ok but I hope that poor triathete will get better. Just disgusting.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 am

Ross wrote:Mr Cornwell was disgusted at being offered a partial refund, of $150, on his entry fee of more than $800 - he wanted his entry transferred to next year's race.
hard man

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 am

Ross wrote:"The ute then turned around, travelled back up Broadlands Rd and pulled over ahead of the cyclist. As the cyclist pulled wide to go around the ute, it is alleged that the driver chased him on foot and pushed him off his bike."

The motorist, aged 21, was later arrested in Reporoa. He is scheduled to appear in the Taupo District Court tomorrow, charged with assault.
what a moron.

if he had half a brain, he'd have run the cyclist down in his ute and pleaded SMIDSY, for which he'd have gotten off with maybe a $100 fine? now he's facing jail.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:06 pm

jules21 wrote:
Ross wrote:"The ute then turned around, travelled back up Broadlands Rd and pulled over ahead of the cyclist. As the cyclist pulled wide to go around the ute, it is alleged that the driver chased him on foot and pushed him off his bike."

what a moron.

if he had half a brain, he'd have run the cyclist down in his ute and pleaded SMIDSY, for which he'd have gotten off with maybe a $100 fine? now he's facing jail.
Cynical much, Jules?

Don't blame you :(

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Cynical much, Jules?
the sad part is that as ridiculous as it sounds, what i described would work a treat (for the driver).

exadios

Postby exadios » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:22 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:To be honest I think the article is a bit too kind to the ute driver. Overtaking and passing a cyclist too close on that kind of road isn't 'annoying' it's extremely dangerous, potentially lethal. I'd certainly give the finger to some prick who nearly killed me and passing too close like that is illegal and worthy of punishment even without the assault.
Actually, the "annoying" aspect of the article was a quote from the bicyclist organization. I think she should not have said what she did.

exadios

Postby exadios » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Apple wrote:How many times have I given the finger? They know they are in a car and can cause great damage to a rider. Something snaps in a driver’s brain when they are in a car, it sort of like the hulk thing going on. Once you give the finger or yell at them they look at a cyclist like we are ants.
Sorry if this seems harsh but that’s just how I see it.
You can’t give me the finger, you are nothing, you are in lycra. Look at me, I am in a V8 and I can squash you like a fly.
:cry:
sorry thats just me being angry after reading this post. I will be ok but I hope that poor triathete will get better. Just disgusting.
The person you are describing has a "something" in his brain which has already snapped.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:48 pm

exadios wrote:Actually, the "annoying" aspect of the article was a quote from the bicyclist organization. I think she should not have said what she did.
Which bit of what she said do you think was inappropriate? The bit about giving the finger being rude? Or that she could not recommend it? :?

Personally I think all of that was spot-on :| Most people would regard a one (or two)-finger salute as rude; that is after all the intent. I would equally recommend to wave and blow kisses, much like she suggested. At the same time she also stated that the driver was clearly at fault and deplorable behaviour.
Mandatory helmet law?

exadios

Postby exadios » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:30 pm

il padrone wrote:
exadios wrote:Actually, the "annoying" aspect of the article was a quote from the bicyclist organization. I think she should not have said what she did.
Which bit of what she said do you think was inappropriate? The bit about giving the finger being rude? Or that she could not recommend it? :?

Personally I think all of that was spot-on :| Most people would regard a one (or two)-finger salute as rude; that is after all the intent. I would equally recommend to wave and blow kisses, much like she suggested. At the same time she also stated that the driver was clearly at fault and deplorable behaviour.
I think she should have avoided the subject all together.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 pm

I think downplaying the horrendously negligent and disrespectful behaviour of the driver in putting the cyclist in the situation of being in fear of a head-on to being merely "annoying" is culpable.

What a stupid woman

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:39 pm

exadios wrote:I think she should have avoided the subject all together.
What? Like avoid talking about the assault altogether? Or maybe avoid talking about the fact that they were driving on a road :roll:

The provocation, warranted or unwarranted, was an undoubted factor, a key aspect of the whole incident :? Really cannot be avoided. She pointed out how this was no excuse for the actions that occurred.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:44 pm

trailgumby wrote:I think downplaying the horrendously negligent and disrespectful behaviour of the driver in putting the cyclist in the situation of being in fear of a head-on to being merely "annoying" is culpable.

What a stupid woman
Yes, can agree that this overtaking move was (and all of them are) potentially lethal. But I would not castigate her too much

1. She was speaking of the assault principally
2. That is a matter to pursue with Police and lawyers. Media (especially Kiwi-variety) may slam her for such comments :roll: <realism>
Mandatory helmet law?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Going OT, not talking about the 21 year old driver.
But for the older generation of us from NZ :mrgreen: ... I still remember the 3 lane roads in NZ with the middle lane being there for whoever used it first to overtake. It translated into drivers staying right to the side of the road so cars could over take head on two lane roads. Probably comes from the fact that in those days State highway 1 was a single lane highway from Bombay hills all the way to Wellington. I don't think those 3 lane roads still exist in NZ. Makes you think of playing chicken.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:08 pm

il padrone wrote:Truly appalling. I really feel for the cyclist.

However this is why I now am very happy to just wave and blow kisses at them.
Inciting a response just the same.
Ignore or do something , either way, the spokeswoman sounds like an oxymoron like all wannabe politicians.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Make that any rural or regional road back home people. No such thing as a straight section of Tarmac.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 pm

Young drivers and a market flooded with very cheap high powered imports in the biggest problem everyone faces in NZ. They have one o the best road networks in the world, and yet the astonishing level of aggression by many negates this entirely.
We saw a GTR overtake 3 cars and a semi on the major blind bend at the entry to Meremere Dtag Strip one day last time I went back. Complete disregard for anything on the other side of the road. We had to take to the outside I the tar seal when we saw him coming. Probably was doing around 120-130kph as well. We had 4 close calls in one week in Hamilton and Auckland.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:
il padrone wrote:However this is why I now am very happy to just wave and blow kisses at them.
Inciting a response just the same.
Well I've yet to see any, and I've taken this approach for about the past 3-4 years. Soon after I slapped a random, aggressive horn-blower's bonnet at the next set of lights, and the passenger started waving a length of 'reo' bar around towards me. Never know what sort of crazies are about, but if some low-life goes ballistic over a wave and blowing a kiss, it'll look pretty dumb in front of the magistrate :roll:

:lol: :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 pm

If you use tongue its probably crossing the line.