Advice Re:Single Speed Wheels

Kingfisher

Advice Re:Single Speed Wheels

Postby Kingfisher » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:34 pm

I have a set of cheap n nasty cycling deal wheels that I will be removing and looking to upgrade. Can anyone suggest where in the Melbourne area I can grap some quality wheels, possibly flip flop, but definately with a freewheel cog. Other than that is there a website that any members here have purchased from with a good outcome. Looking for black wheels bladed spokes an option with front wheel braking surface at least. I have looked for a while with not to much luck. Any advice would be helpfull. Cheers

MilkRacer

Re: Advice Re:Single Speed Wheels

Postby MilkRacer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm

More info' required. What hub widths are you after. 100mm fronts are standard road and you can pick up any front going pretty much, most will have a machined braking surface. Rear 130mm is road standard, 120mm for track hubs. What are you after??

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Are you sure there is actually a problem with your existing wheels? I have a set of those (Quando hubs with Stars rims, there are quite a few places that sell them in addition to cyclingdeal) and while they are heavy and the bearings don't feel much chop, there is no issue at all with speed. My pb on a local climb is with my single speed, not my carbon Malvern Star, and i'm less than a minute down on a former Commonwealth gold medallist, so the wheels can't be that bad.

If you really want to get fancier wheels, i would suggest a set of Novatec sealed bearing hubs laced with the spokes of your choice to whatever rims you want (i used Sun CR18 rims and DT Swiss Champion spokes). I think all up, including having the LBS source the spokes and build them, that cost me $150 or thereabouts.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Kingfisher

Postby Kingfisher » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:28 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Are you sure there is actually a problem with your existing wheels? I have a set of those (Quando hubs with Stars rims, there are quite a few places that sell them in addition to cyclingdeal) and while they are heavy and the bearings don't feel much chop, there is no issue at all with speed. My pb on a local climb is with my single speed, not my carbon Malvern Star, and i'm less than a minute down on a former Commonwealth gold medallist, so the wheels can't be that bad.

If you really want to get fancier wheels, i would suggest a set of Novatec sealed bearing hubs laced with the spokes of your choice to whatever rims you want (i used Sun CR18 rims and DT Swiss Champion spokes). I think all up, including having the LBS source the spokes and build them, that cost me $150 or thereabouts.

Just changing the asthetics , after black rims prob 700c, just looking for some advice on better quality wheelsets that forum members might be able to suggest. I can get them made by a lbs i know, however i was looking for perhaps a good set off the net or if anyone had a good experience buying some, either off the net or at a lbs in Melbourne area.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:40 pm

I think Reid Cycles have them in black, and if you get the sealed bearing ones too you're on a winner.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:57 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I think Reid Cycles have them in black, and if you get the sealed bearing ones too you're on a winner.
+1
i have a set of Reid wheels (Quando+Alex rims). I paid $90 delivered to my door, but have seen them frequently down to $45
Was only for a sh its and giggles build, but they've performed pretty well so far, roll smoothly, a little heavy maybe, but for the money hard to beat.

My commuter fixed gear has Surly hubs. A bit better quality, and i commuted on these for a solid year awhile back, and they still roll perfectly.

Reid have a wheelset on there at the moment, black rims, for $25 !! $25 !! With capital city pick ups (although i dont think these are the quando/alex ones)
chop wood

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:21 pm

I think the key word here is upgrade.

Buying another sub $100 cheap ar$e set of wheels is not worth the time wasted.

Buy a set of velocity deep vees, laced to velocity/formula/novatech hubs(all the same btw) with sealed bearings and enjoy the real difference. Google around and maybe velomine or bens cyclery will come up.At least then you will have a decent keeper set of wheels to carry over to a beter frame when you upgrade.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:20 am

BRLVR.v2 wrote:I think the key word here is upgrade.

Buying another sub $100 cheap ar$e set of wheels is not worth the time wasted.
+1 Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.
Buy a set of velocity deep vees, laced to velocity/formula/novatech hubs(all the same btw) with sealed bearings and enjoy the real difference. Google around and maybe velomine or bens cyclery will come up.At least then you will have a decent keeper set of wheels to carry over to a beter frame when you upgrade.
Umm, no. While the Velocity hubs are simply unbadged Formulas, Novatech are a different and a superior hub. However, there's not much in it and any wheelset with Formula hubs will do all you want (I've got both).

Believe me, you do NOT want anything with a Quando hub - the things are made of cheese and a particularly rank cheese at that. I've stripped two of the rotten things, and that's under riding stresses, not hamfisted handling of tools.

Keep an eye on eBay. I have a pair of excellent general purpose wheels with Alex rims and Formula hubs that I got for $60 - someone had a lot of sets to sell.

DeepVs, although popular and make a bulletproof wheel, are heavy. I've a set of DeepV wheels that have 10,000 km without an issue and no need for retruing, but there are lighter rims.
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:02 am

europa wrote: +1 Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.
He's back :shock:

Good to know you're still around Richard, us old school types have missed your insight greatly.

How's that Hillbrick treating you?

Cheers
Shaun

Oh, yeah. You'll hopefully be glad to know that I have seen the light of Fixed riding and greatly enjoy basking in its warm radiance :D

S
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:29 am

Said Hillbrick is refusing to wear out despite my best efforts. After compulsive fiddling, she keeps coming back to the original setup and no, you can't have my Supertype seatpost :D She's more than paid for herself. The Europa wears gears but it's an awkward fit - I think she lusts after her fixed gear days.

I knew you'd embrace the fixed side eventually, you're too smart not to :D
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

landscapecadmonkey

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:01 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:I think the key word here is upgrade.
Google around and maybe velomine or bens cyclery will come up.At least then you will have a decent keeper set of wheels to carry over to a beter frame when you upgrade.
I have bought quite a few wheelsets from Ben at Velomine, (road, mtb, single speed)....... and despite the high shipping charge, am very happy with his service, packing and products.
chop wood

AlMac

Postby AlMac » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Halo Aerorage: http://www.velogear.com.au/cycling/bike ... lours.html

I have a set. Great wheels for the money.

I would avoid coloured braking surfaces. The colour wears and they look crappy.

Next stop for me would be White Industry hubs laced to Velocity A23s, but that's getting up around $800-$900.