Strava speeds in the hundreds of KM's..What the?

SquareWheels

Strava speeds in the hundreds of KM's..What the?

Postby SquareWheels » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 pm

I am just wondering if anyone knows why strava lists some speeds as ridiculously high. For example ( http://app.strava.com/segments/1119934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) . The KOM here is 704 kph...very impressive. I think even carbon would fall to bits at this speed.

I would love to be able to go a couple of hundred clicks and hour (but since I am a noob on a flatbar I struggle to get to 30kph :D )

I ride this bridge which has an underpass for cyclists and pedestrians. The road above is freeway with a 100kph limit, and I am suspecting that some folk are turning strava on in the car :evil:
I got hit by a car that failed to give way once - it really hurt

g-boaf

Re: Strava speeds in the hundreds of KM's..What the?

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:27 pm

GPS glitch, probably a phone which had dodgy reception and struggled to catch up - hence the high speeds. Or some DigitalEPO.

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:28 pm

We regularly do over 100kph on one of my clubs racing circuits http://app.strava.com/activities/39549434#647694718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If only it were true. :D

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 pm

g-boaf wrote:GPS glitch, probably a phone which had dodgy reception and struggled to catch up - hence the high speeds. Or some DigitalEPO.
I need to get me one of those phones and get some KOM's to freak out my other flatbar buddies

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:28 pm

Possible explanations...

1. They shouldn't let recumbent riders / triathletes use Strava.

2. These new PEDs are really getting out of hand.

3. Image

4. Strava is for hackers?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Possibility: If you start at the start of a segment, then find a shortcut and finish at the finish of the segment you will receive a time for that segment, route variation aside. On the flipside of fast segments there is one local that has a best time around 6min, yet the slowest is 2.5hrs because the rider has stopped at the park for a while to play.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 pm

SquareWheels wrote:
g-boaf wrote:GPS glitch, probably a phone which had dodgy reception and struggled to catch up - hence the high speeds. Or some DigitalEPO.
I need to get me one of those phones and get some KOM's to freak out my other flatbar buddies
I've got myself an iPhone 5 with strava app on it.. Time to leave the Garmin at home! :lol: More likely, time for a few cups of HTFU for me.. My effort today was rubbish. :x

william

Postby william » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 pm

My 705gps showed me 196kph whilst sitting in a cafe. I looked at the mapping data when I got home and it seems I crossed the street several times at superman speeds. Loved it.
Now you see me... Whoosh! Now you don't.
Ah! The realm of fantasy is taking over...

Now where did I leave my bike....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:39 am

william wrote:My 705gps showed me 196kph whilst sitting in a cafe. I looked at the mapping data when I got home and it seems I crossed the street several times at superman speeds. Loved it.

Musta been damn good coffee :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MarkWebber

Postby MarkWebber » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 am

Mulger bill wrote:
william wrote:My 705gps showed me 196kph whilst sitting in a cafe. I looked at the mapping data when I got home and it seems I crossed the street several times at superman speeds. Loved it.

Coffee was fine...
It was the 2 lines of sugar that did it. :shock:

kb

Postby kb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:16 am

That's quite fast sitting but I'm more impressed with a friend who jogged from Melbourne to Hobart and back in an hour :-)

takai

Postby takai » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:49 am

I had a ride which incorporated a segment that had me doing 1700km/h to get from Adelaide to somewhere in the pacific rim for about 25s of the ride. Was quite bizarre.

On a Garmin 500. So I can only assume it was dodgy info from the satellite.

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm

sblack

Postby sblack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:40 pm

I had a different kind of bad data the other day. Somehow, mid ride my GPS was convinced it was mid 2026 and recorded a ride lasting for over 13 years! Had to go in and edit the file manually to put the correct date back in.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:42 pm

sblack wrote:I had a different kind of bad data the other day. Somehow, mid ride my GPS was convinced it was mid 2026 and recorded a ride lasting for over 13 years! Had to go in and edit the file manually to put the correct date back in.
I had a ride when my edge 500 decided it was 1999... Not willing to "lose" those km from my stats, I had to upload the file, export it in a text format (gpx I think?), edit it with a search&replace, then upload again and delete the 1999 ride :)

william

Postby william » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:12 pm

MarkWebber wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:

Coffee was fine...
It was the 2 lines of sugar that did it. :shock:
I forgot about that "sugar". It did taste a little, er, different.

GPS's are good training/tracking tools but you just have to laugh at their antics sometimes.
Flash's piggy back rides don't look like good business. I wonder if he saw my bike.

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 pm

I have one location where my phone quite often records me at over 200km/hr. I suspect it may be slightly mistaken as it has me over water on the Canning River at the same time, so I take it with a grain of salt.

GPS glitches. They do wonders for the average speed of the ride, though! :D

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm

My husband ended up in Russia one morning. Apparently...

Did wonders for his average moving speed.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Venus62 wrote:My husband ended up in Russia one morning. Apparently...

Had that too, rode from the middle of the African Sahara to somewhere in Sydney.. At 30+km/h average speed. Don't use Garmin Connect any more. :lol:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm quite fond of this climb: http://app.strava.com/segments/2471212" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this one is a nice flat sprint segment, although the headwinds and tailwinds can be a few hundred kmh at times. http://app.strava.com/segments/3089781" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Change to satellite view to see where it is).

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 pm

g-boaf is on the money but I will expand it.

But principally, if you are riding, at, say, 10kph, and then enter a tunnel and accelerate to, say, 30kph, then your GPS is likely to continue plotting your path as it extimates. It will be using the 10kph for that estimation.

When you exit the tunnel and come back into GPS view then it will see that you have changed location from (estimated) way back in the tunnel to well in front of where it was expecting you to be. Depending on how the software on your GPS handles this, you could get some pretty weird results.

I used to deliberately set this sort of scenario up in a 1.6km tunnel in my home city. Enter slowly, speed up to the legal limit and see what it did when I exited. (Then I got a life. :lol: )

I have never seen one go to 704kph. But I suppose that the few-metres innacuracy of the GPS location combined with extremely sort reading and calculating intervals built into the software could give, theoretically, no limit of high speed.

I assume that Strava software analyses the raw recorded GPS datastream and does it's own estimating . In which case Strava's software would be the culprit. I don't use Strava but possibly you can change some settings to somethign more sensible.

btw the concurrent use of multiple GPS satellites reduces those GPS innacuracies, but occasionally when conditions are bad it could be relying on only one or two satellites.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Here's a good one: http://app.strava.com/segments/2892629

Here is one where you can tke a good shortcut: http://app.strava.com/segments/822245. Check the plot of the KOM ride, it misses a reasonable section of the segment, yet still registers.

and check the slowest time on this one: http://app.strava.com/segments/1762073
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

MarkWebber

Postby MarkWebber » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:10 pm

Venus62 wrote:My husband ended up in Russia one morning. Apparently...

This is not a GPS issue but an issue with Oksana and her nudie photos promising to marry you and then draining your bank account :twisted: