Snobbery in cycling, why is it so pretentious ?

misterhorsey

Re: Snobbery in cycling, why is it so pretentious ?

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:44 pm

jules21 wrote:
misterhorsey wrote:While I do feel satisfied when passing dudes in their pinarellos/colnagos/baums/cervelos when I can
yes but anyone can pass the rider of a high-end bike with a quick burst of speed. but are you really "passing" them? the owners of such bikes may let you past as they are on a recovery ride, or - dare i say - don't really notice you on your steel steed, but these are dedicated, highly trained athletes who if they wished, could turn the speed on and leave all that was in front of them - behind them. it just gets a bit tiresome sometimes.
c'mon - not everyone who rides a finely tuned performance machine is a highly trained athlete! They're available for purchase by anyone who wants to lay down the dosh, as they should be.

I'm talking about going on long rides. Or even when doing laps of the yarra boulevard. I pass people all the time. But I'm passed many times as well. Its awesome to be passed. Gives you something to aim for in terms of your own fitness and ability.

To me, its not a competition. I'm riding to my own rhythm as I'm not racing. It just so happens that I pass guys on super fancy bikes. And I'm not going to deny that it can feel satisfying sometimes.

And I'm well aware of the recovery ride phenomenon. Its nice to let the single speed dudes chase me down when I've done a long ride.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:47 pm

misterhorsey wrote:And I'm well aware of the recovery ride phenomenon.
but it sounds like you're unaware that anytime you've passed someone on a high-end bike, they're almost certainly on a recovery ride. these guys take their riding seriously - and it's reflected in the quality of the machine they have chosen. this is why it's often mistaken for snobbery when they fail to acknowledge the riders of lesser-quality bikes - it's an indication that the rider isn't as dedicated or capable. there's nothing wrong with expecting that riders of lesser ability would instigate relations when they pass on the road - and then decide whether to return the salutation.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:49 pm

hahahahahaha hook, line and sinker

MisuVir

Postby MisuVir » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:52 pm

boss wrote:hahahahahaha hook, line and sinker
This whole thread feels so... trollolololol.

Anytime someone passes me on my $250 bike (happens *all* the time), I'm going to yell out "I'm on a recovery ride!". :D

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:53 pm

+1

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Jules is 100% right. It's like overtaking a Lamborghini in your Corolla. You may well have done so, but not really.

Padrone - Thanks for the videos. :lol:
Certified Brand Snob

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:56 pm

jules21 wrote:
misterhorsey wrote:And I'm well aware of the recovery ride phenomenon.
but it sounds like you're unaware that anytime you've passed someone on a high-end bike, they're almost certainly on a recovery ride. these guys take their riding seriously - and it's reflected in the quality of the machine they have chosen. this is why it's often mistaken for snobbery when they fail to acknowledge the riders of lesser-quality bikes - it's an indication that the rider isn't as dedicated or capable. there's nothing wrong with expecting that riders of lesser ability would instigate relations when they pass on the road - and then decide whether to return the salutation.
really?

I've seen plenty of serious cyclists on serious gear. Awesome stuff.
But I've seen many a wheezing puffing fat bastard on a premium piece of carbon as well. The only recovering they're doing is from a near coronary.
And fifty shades in between.....
It's all good.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 pm

misterhorsey wrote:But I've seen many a wheezing puffing fat bastard on a premium piece of carbon as well.
Yeah - this seems to really gall some people, doesn't it? How dare he ride a premium bike!
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:03 pm

RonK wrote:
misterhorsey wrote:But I've seen many a wheezing puffing fat bastard on a premium piece of carbon as well.
Yeah - this seems to really gall some people, doesn't it? How dare he ride a premium bike!
uh-huh, to avoid any uncertainty however, it falls within 'the good' as far as I'm concerned!

boss

Postby boss » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:05 pm

MisuVir wrote:
boss wrote:hahahahahaha hook, line and sinker
This whole thread feels so... trollolololol.

Anytime someone passes me on my $250 bike (happens *all* the time), I'm going to yell out "I'm on a recovery ride!". :D
It's part troll. Part people teary eyed about one or two sentences from fairly well considered musings. And part people getting all upset about these oh-sahhhhhhh-important-first-world-problems.

All in all, pretty entertaining but sadly symptomatic of this forum these days!
Last edited by boss on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:05 pm

this is what happens when you start a BS thread. it's hard to tell the serious posts from the non-serious ones.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:06 pm

Wheezing/price of your bike matrix coming up. Stay tuned.

IMG link, NSFW.
Last edited by Dan on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:08 pm

jules21 wrote:but it sounds like you're unaware that anytime you've passed someone on a high-end bike, they're almost certainly on a recovery ride. these guys take their riding seriously - and it's reflected in the quality of the machine they have chosen. this is why it's often mistaken for snobbery when they fail to acknowledge the riders of lesser-quality bikes - it's an indication that the rider isn't as dedicated or capable. there's nothing wrong with expecting that riders of lesser ability would instigate relations when they pass on the road - and then decide whether to return the salutation.
Oh for sure, it's about performance ..... :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:09 pm

*quivers in anticipation*
Certified Brand Snob

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 pm

OK, you know you want it :P

Mandatory helmet law?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:19 pm

MisuVir wrote:Anytime someone passes me on my $250 bike (happens *all* the time), I'm going to yell out "I'm on a recovery ride!". :D
Sad as it seems, I've actually done this once when passed. :oops: And I don't even ride carbon bling. Now I never do recovery rides. If you pass me, I'm not going to pass you back. But I may see if I can hang around without wheel sucking.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Certified Brand Snob

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:37 pm

RonK wrote:Yeah - this seems to really gall some people, doesn't it? How dare he ride a premium bike!
The reality is, most middle age to elderly people if "to pull out all the stops" so to speak could have a different $10K bike for every day of the week and still not have to live in their car. I think it's mainly amusing when people ride $10K+ bikes, just because I know it gives them about 0.5Km/h or less over a $1.3K bike. If you are not racing, I can't see the point. But it's their money, so why should I care? Plenty of people spend $60K+ on cars as status symbols for the road and nobody seems to care that much.

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:41 pm

High Fidelity offers an answer to most every life situation.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote:
Dude!............ He said "dude" :P :twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:48 pm

Now you've done it Dan. Introducing Hipsters into the conversation! They don't talk to or wave at anyone, even other Hipsters.
Certified Brand Snob

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:50 pm

I think we may be getting a bit off track here dude. 8)
Certified Brand Snob

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Hey hey hey! The title says Hipsters, not me! I have a flanno, sorry, PLAID, shirt too, you know :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Nobody wrote:The reality is, most middle age to elderly people if "to pull out all the stops" so to speak could have a different $10K bike for every day of the week and still not have to live in their car. I think it's mainly amusing when people ride $10K+ bikes, just because I know it gives them about 0.5Km/h or less over a $1.3K bike. If you are not racing, I can't see the point. But it's their money, so why should I care? Plenty of people spend $60K+ on cars as status symbols for the road and nobody seems to care that much.
This sort of $10K bike may make more of a difference in most situations except long mountain climbs :wink: .

Mandatory helmet law?

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Dan wrote:Hey hey hey! The title says Hipsters, not me! I have a flanno, sorry, PLAID, shirt too, you know :)
My shirt is made out of a cool new fabric, but you wouldn"t have ever heard of it so I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain it.
Certified Brand Snob