Buying from Jensonusa.com

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 am

Hi everyone,
looking at buying a frame from Jenson and came unstuck when they offered two forms of shipping :?
They offer both UPS Worldwide Saver (cheaper) and USPS Priority Mail International (dearer).
Can anyone familiar advise? I've paid for dearer shipping before and its not got to me any quicker than average from US sites.
I've not bought before from Jenson, but they have been recommended by some here in the past.
Cheers
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

by BNA » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:41 am

BNA
 

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:41 am

I have bought from Jenson several times. Not quite sure what you are asking, just choose the cheapest shipping rate and crack a bottle or two of red while you wait... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5300
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:49 am

I was attempting to poorly word a question asking what, apart from price, was likey to be the difference between the two shipping options :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jenson finally have the Ogre frame in black which ends my indecision as I told myself that if they started stocking black I'd stop worrying about different brands of frame and just purchase the Surly Ogre.
Today I got an email from Jenson that today they start selling Black :D
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 am

rifraf wrote:I was attempting to poorly word a question asking what, apart from price, was likey to be the difference between the two shipping options :lol: :lol: :lol:

hehe, so you have already knocked off a couple of bottles then... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just taken the cheapest rate - as I recall delivery was fairly prompt, at least I can't remember any significant delays (but my patience threshold does seems greater than yours). :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5300
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:14 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:I was attempting to poorly word a question asking what, apart from price, was likey to be the difference between the two shipping options :lol: :lol: :lol:

hehe, so you have already knocked off a couple of bottles then... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just taken the cheapest rate - as I recall delivery was fairly prompt, at least I can't remember any significant delays (but my patience threshold does seems greater than yours). :lol: :lol: :lol:


LOL :lol:
Its a load off getting to order. :roll:
I've been agonizing over frame choice for a while. :?
A few frames/bikes tick most of the boxes but none of them tick all of the boxes.
Seeing the cheap Van Nic frames gave me pause as did the non seperable Nomad frames.
I came close to asking for more info on the Co-motion Rohloff Divide. :shock:
When adding up all the bits and bobs needed the $5500 started looking like not "that" dear after all.
I've decided the Surly frame is OK and if I dont like it, I'll probably only lose a third reselling it on and I can start the process all over again.
I'll have my parts that I've chosen like my light wheels and dynamo hub/rohloff to throw on what ever frame makes me happy at the time.
I will be having an early wine oclock today to celebrate the decision over and done with for a while at least.
Thanks for your answer, order placed :!:
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:33 pm

It is probably a bit late but I prefer not to use UPS

(1) its usual practice is to send goods via Germany & Singapore

(2) they have good systems to ensure you pay the GST etc if required

(3) their fees for this "service" struck me as a bit high

USPS on the other hand

(1) ship via Hawaii

(2) use Aus Post for delivery who are less effective in charging GST etc even when it was required

YMMV
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Hiya find_bruce,
yeah well I couldnt wait forever for any replies with the frame in black staring me in the face. :lol:
My frame and rims are below the gst threshold of $1000 if that hasnt changed yet. :idea:
I've still a bike to ride if it ever gets cool enough here in WA so despite my lack of patience noted by Ronk I'll just have to wait. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm a new arrival and really struggling with the heat currently. :o
The bits on their way from Germany will be slow so I'm not expecting to be riding it for a month or two anyway.
Thanks for the heads up though, good to know. :D
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Sounds like you are all set. Look forward to seeing the build pictures once all the bits arrive
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3670
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:36 pm

I would use USPS as well. I've used UPS and uggh. USPS is a heap better, shame they don't use DHL, even faster still
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4588
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:42 pm

I'm finding it too hot for riding anyway currently so I'm going to take Ronks excellent advice and crack a few bottles of red to enhance the wait.
My local has a special on Mcguigan (or however its spelt) currently and I hate the thought of you guys ruining your beer drinking palates so I better do my bit to keep the economy afloat whilst I'm sending some of my funds overseas. Thus no one could suggest I'm not a patriot. :lol:
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 pm

rifraf wrote:I'm finding it too hot for riding anyway currently so I'm going to take Ronks excellent advice and crack a few bottles of red to enhance the wait.
My local has a special on Mcguigan (or however its spelt) currently and I hate the thought of you guys ruining your beer drinking palates so I better do my bit to keep the economy afloat whilst I'm sending some of my funds overseas. Thus no one could suggest I'm not a patriot. :lol:

Beg your pardon - McGuigan? You're drinking Hunter Valley wines when you could be drinking Swan Valley or Margaret River? Shame Aidan, shame... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5300
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:05 pm

RonK wrote:Beg your pardon - McGuigan? You're drinking Hunter Valley wines when you could be drinking Swan Valley or Margaret River? Shame Aidan, shame... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've yet to see local wine either on special or at a price I'll part with.
The McGuigan is often 2 for $16 whilst the local plonk would be requesting that for a single.
I'm not a wine snob and like "quaffing wine" :D but not at silly prices just because its local. Because its local I expect to pay less and not more.
I even like white from time to time but have been on the red for a while as one of my hosts is a big white drinker and I was struggling to get my
share :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: Its all good though. I had a nice bottle of silver label Wolf Blass recently and enjoyed every drop. :D
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:37 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:Beg your pardon - McGuigan? You're drinking Hunter Valley wines when you could be drinking Swan Valley or Margaret River? Shame Aidan, shame... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've yet to see local wine either on special or at a price I'll part with.
The McGuigan is often 2 for $16 whilst the local plonk would be requesting that for a single.
I'm not a wine snob and like "quaffing wine" :D but not at silly prices just because its local. Because its local I expect to pay less and not more.
I even like white from time to time but have been on the red for a while as one of my hosts is a big white drinker and I was struggling to get my
share :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: Its all good though. I had a nice bottle of silver label Wolf Blass recently and enjoyed every drop. :D

There's an Italian vineyard in the Swan Valley - I can't remember the name but the locals will. You go there with your 20, 40, 60 litre container and they fill it up cheap. Then you invite all your acquaintances around and have a bottling party. :) :) :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5300
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:02 pm

RonK wrote:There's an Italian vineyard in the Swan Valley - I can't remember the name but the locals will. You go there with your 20, 40, 60 litre container and they fill it up cheap. Then you invite all your acquaintances around and have a bottling party. :) :) :)

I find 500ml more than ample these days especially if I want to get a ride in on the next day. I succumb to the temptation occasionally of finishing a whole bottle to myself but almost always regret it. I guess my liver isnt what it used to be.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:50 am

I had UPS add a local processing fee which I discovered after paying was not part of duty or taxes, rather a way for the local offices to add an unnecessary surcharge at my cost (considering that I had paid postage in full). Obviously they didn't respond when I followed this up, I then asked UPS in the USA who were quick to respond but could only refer me back where the local UPS would not justify or explain the surcharge.

The short answer, I would chose US postal service.
User avatar
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9082
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby broker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Last week I got a new bar & stem from jenson delivered, went the UPS worldwide saver.

Fastest overseas delivery I have had thus far. Placed the order on Tuesday, received Friday.

Extremely happy with that service. :mrgreen:
broker
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:49 pm
Location: Baulkham Hills

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:28 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I had UPS add a local processing fee which I discovered after paying was not part of duty or taxes, rather a way for the local offices to add an unnecessary surcharge at my cost (considering that I had paid postage in full). Obviously they didn't respond when I followed this up, I then asked UPS in the USA who were quick to respond but could only refer me back where the local UPS would not justify or explain the surcharge.

The short answer, I would chose US postal service.


Hi Christopher,

Did you pay it?
If you felt obligated to pay might it be worth a sticky somewhere so others dont follow in your tyre prints?

I remember another company trying this on (DHL I believe if memory serves me right) trying this on in other threads so I immediately contacted Wiggle (from memory) and requested to have it noted on my account that I did not want their services for the delivery of my goods, at all, ever!
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:36 am

Well I sent them an email asking if they could bump my shipping up to the next option being USPS having read the comments here (thanks everyone).
I just received an email from them and its no worries - done and dusted, USPS it is. :D
Well thats a load off as I remember my frustration over the debacle of a situation of DHL add on fee's.
I have no objection to paying bills that are transparent from the get go but I believe it was the Aussie end of things that the "special fee's" were added.
Like being in a third world country with baksheesh when that sort of stuff happens. :shock:

broker wrote:Last week I got a new bar & stem from jenson delivered, went the UPS worldwide saver.

Fastest overseas delivery I have had thus far. Placed the order on Tuesday, received Friday.

Extremely happy with that service. :mrgreen:


That a nice short delivery time Broker. :) Thats right up there with delivery time from the likes of Wiggle, CRC and Evans. :shock:
I was more worried with possible add on fee's which not everyone seems to get. Having been bitten before from another company Chris's experience set off my warning bells to a cacophony level. Like I said in another post, I dont mind fee's if I'm aware of them from the onset but not tacked on afterwards.
I prefer my dealings to be transparent at all levels. I actually think companies that use carriers who have the potential to add on fee's should actually have a warning with regards to that fact.
Last edited by rifraf on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Progress has been made.
Jenson have processed my order, the funds have been removed from my account and they have added a USPS tracking number to my order page.
The postal upgrade from UPS to USPS wasnt a large amount and I'm looking forward to receiving my goodies hopefully within a few weeks.
Update,
just now received an email titled:
"Your Jenson USA Order Has Shipped "
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:35 pm

RonK wrote: as I recall delivery was fairly prompt, at least I can't remember any significant delays (but my patience threshold does seems greater than yours). :lol: :lol: :lol:

An imbalancing act between their "fairly prompt" and my unfairly impatient in your premonition has come to fruition. There was an update on Saturday morning of the frame departing their international depot (San Bernadino) but nothing since then. I do like to see an update from time to time (well daily if I'm honest but I know thats not entirely rational). I suppose the issue is I've run out of wine and its not pay day till tomorrow........ :wink:
At least its left the country faster than ze pedestrian postage of ze Germans can get anything underway. :roll:
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:57 pm

rifraf wrote:There was an update on Saturday morning of the frame departing their international depot (San Bernadino) but nothing since then. I do like to see an update from time to time (well daily if I'm honest but I know thats not entirely rational).

Hehe - hope you chose the right carrier then :evil: :) :) :)
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5300
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:51 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:There was an update on Saturday morning of the frame departing their international depot (San Bernadino) but nothing since then. I do like to see an update from time to time (well daily if I'm honest but I know thats not entirely rational).

Hehe - hope you chose the right carrier then :evil: :) :) :)

When I remember the emotional ordial of DHL's "special fee's" I know I'm not up for that again. I lack a sense of humor when I'm feeling ripped off.
I can be a little blind to long term outcome when in the heat of the moment - a failing of my hot celtic blood I'm afraid :oops:

Update 10.56pm
there has been an update to the USPS tracking site.
More US internal travel. Its now gone to a sorting center in Los Angeles and has been processed through the sorting facility there.
Nice to see an addition to the tracking making me feel its moving closer toward me and not just standing still. :D
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Priority Mail International Parcels, Processed Through Sort Facility, February 21, 2013, 11:56 am, AUSTRALIA, International Parcels :D

Progress :!: :!: :!: I'm assuming a couple of days in Customs and then three or so days to get to WA.
I'm thinking probably a week before I get it into my hot little hands :D

Should now be safe to order some stuff from Ze Germans (of the pedestrian post).

I've been holding off ordering anything as I was worried about getting a few things arriving at the same time at customs and it adding up to the gst threshold but now by the time it gets to Australian shores, my frame and rims will have cleared and sitting on what passes as my work bench.
Sound logical :?:

My big worry now is whether or not the 20' frame size is going to be too big for me to get used to. It has a very long effective frame tube compared to what I'm used too.
I'm hoping my new straight post (thomson masterpiece courtesy of our very own "member to member" selling threads) will help aided by an extremely short stem.
I'm looking hard at some alloy Jeff Jones bars with quite a rearward sweep wondering if they will help shorten up the cockpit somewhat. :|
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:11 pm

Well this is turning into a performance. :(
A box with 2 rims arrived a short while ago. No sign of any frame.
The box has written on it "1 of 2". It has paperwork on it with the total value of my purchase.

A long and protracted attempt to call my local post office to get some advice was frustrating. :twisted:
It seems you can no longer ring your local post office and can only ring a 13 number.

The people there tell me that each individual box must have a separate tracking number and they have no record of 2 boxes or two tracking numbers. My suggestion of two boxes taped together fell on deaf ears. Their best advice is to ring Jenson.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Buying from Jensonusa.com

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:51 pm

What no frame :shock:
Well at least you can get the wheels built up.
I'd be taking photos and emailing Jenson with them and following up with a phone call when they opened up say 1-2hrs after opening
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Image
Baalzamon
 
Posts: 4588
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Yangebup

Next

Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], familyguy



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit