Living with a velomobile

Bartek

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby Bartek » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 pm

John Lewis wrote:What's happened to Bartek?

Must be too busy enjoying the mango to post. :D

Hope you are having fun with it anyway.

john
I am still here John, and yes enjoying the Mango. Although I have just come back from a very enjoyable 4 days camping near your neck of the woods, Augusta to be precise, and had to leave the Mango at home.

Baalzamon - the headlights do adjust but I haven't played around with them in the dark much yet.

Rhubarb - yes they do switch on independently and there is only one adjustment lever.

I was back on the Mango today commuting to work, so hopefully will continue familiarising myself with it, one thing I have noticed is that it sometimes seems to change up 2 or 3 gears at once even though I have only shifted one index. So I am still working out the gears and havent used the middle or lowest set yet as it is fairly flat around here.
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:09 am

Bartek wrote:
John Lewis wrote:What's happened to Bartek?

Must be too busy enjoying the mango to post. :D

Hope you are having fun with it anyway.

john
I am still here John, and yes enjoying the Mango. Although I have just come back from a very enjoyable 4 days camping near your neck of the woods, Augusta to be precise, and had to leave the Mango at home.

Baalzamon - the headlights do adjust but I haven't played around with them in the dark much yet.

Rhubarb - yes they do switch on independently and there is only one adjustment lever.

I was back on the Mango today commuting to work, so hopefully will continue familiarising myself with it, one thing I have noticed is that it sometimes seems to change up 2 or 3 gears at once even though I have only shifted one index. So I am still working out the gears and havent used the middle or lowest set yet as it is fairly flat around here.

Flat ground is a velomobile owners dream !!!!

The index shifting is adjusted via a standard adjustment barrell, located at the rear derailleur. Just do small adjustments to start with - it probably won't need much. The gear cables just stretch a bit as they bed in.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 am

Hey Rhu....

I liked your video of your rainy commute !!

drumondo

Postby drumondo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:54 am

Anyone taken one through one of the toll tunnels in Brisvegas? I guess it's not a a bicycle by definition, so it's not on the excluded vehicle signs...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:00 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Hey Rhu....

I liked your video of your rainy commute !!
Cheers - the latest one is pretty lame, even by my standards. :oops: Aushiker gave it rave reviews though. :wink:

Others may appreciate the rainy commute video as it kind of fits the theme of this thread:

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:19 pm

drumondo wrote:Anyone taken one through one of the toll tunnels in Brisvegas? I guess it's not a a bicycle by definition, so it's not on the excluded vehicle signs...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Legally it is considered as a bicycle.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Rhubarb, I've been going back through the thread trying to find out, but at 44 pages it's probably quicker to ask you what sort of camera are you using? It gives a pretty good picture.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Joeblake wrote:Rhubarb, I've been going back through the thread trying to find out, but at 44 pages it's probably quicker to ask you what sort of camera are you using? It gives a pretty good picture.

Joe
I think it is a Gopro 2 from memory
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks for that.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Perhaps the cam has been updated or I am recalling wrongly but I thought Rhubarb was using one of those 808 No 11 spy cams.

I have one and the video is pretty good for what it is. I just need to find a way to mount it so it doesn't cause shaky video.

John

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:07 am

I did used to use the 808#16 but I have recently upgraded to an RD32ii. Its kind of a poor man's Contour / GoPro :-) but its excellent value at $116 USD delivered.

Here is the link: http://dx.com/p/hd-1080p-mini-sports-dv ... ser-119097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The camera cost $116.50 USD including shipping and I got in a about 2 weeks or just under.

The key features for me:

- Full HD 1920 x 1080p (AT) 30 fps
- Wide angle 140 deg which seems to give good vision without the extreme fish eye effect (bending poles etc)
- waterproof
- battery lasts 2.5 hours, but for I can also charge and record at the same time via the USB ports in my velo, giving me virtually unlimited time.
- small streamlined form factor (weight 86g)
- It also has a nice vibration thing when you hit buttons, so if you helmet mounted it, you could tell if you turned it on correctly etc.

The downside is the standard handle bar mount. It is crap. It has play in it which just shakes and moves all over the place. Terrible video. They come with other mounts too which look good for some other purposes but I mainly want handle bar. So if you want to handlebar mount, I currently use one of these: http://dx.com/p/universal-bicycle-swive ... 28&u=21314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This works fine on normal handlebar diameters but I mount mine on a skinnier bar mount thing, so I have ordered one of these: http://dx.com/p/360-degrees-rotation-mo ... ght-167007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My current one is fine but I think the new one will grip the bar tighter and thus be steadier at speed / bumpy roads.

If you want a thorough review, check out Techmoan's 2 part review of the camera:

- part 1: http://youtu.be/TKQSRQ7lfwM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- part 2: http://youtu.be/N7EzM3pxDuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This will run you through the features pretty thoroughly. Just ignore the part where he says the handle bar mount is fine. It isn't - its crap.

Overall, I'm very happy with my new camera and I think its excellent value. The extra features of more expensive cameras (GoPro/Contour etc), eg wifi, built in gps etc, I just don't need. I've only had it a few weeks but really love the full hd. Oh and it also has excellent sound for cycling as the microphone is at the back so you don't pick up all the wind noise that other cameras do.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:15 am

That's great, thanks very much.

I like the 2.5 hour bit.

Joe
Bertrand Russell

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 am

What do people think of velomobiles with electric assist? It seems to me that they'd be good for all-weather commuting on the flat but without a motor you really suffer on hills. If you live in an area that's all rolling hills like me then couldn't an electric assist motor make up for the extra weight of the body shell?

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:What do people think of velomobiles with electric assist?
That's cheating :P

Dent.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:02 pm

Not QUITE a velomobile, but solar powered and great for climbing hills

Go for it. :wink:

Joe
Bertrand Russell

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:20 pm

DentedHead wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:What do people think of velomobiles with electric assist?
That's cheating :P

Dent.
I already ride the route on my carbon race bike, that's more cheating I think :P If I chose to ride in a heavier bike for weather protection I don't see it as cheating to want some assistance up hills, but maybe it wouldn't even be that bad I don't know.

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Here is one idea that makes a lot of sense.
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/tetz/E- ... efault.htm
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:04 pm

I love the ingenuity of solar electric trikes :)

Fantastic !!

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 pm

Here's how it happened,

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/09/solar-trikey-ma/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:mrgreen:
Joe
Bertrand Russell

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:50 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:What do people think of velomobiles with electric assist? It seems to me that they'd be good for all-weather commuting on the flat but without a motor you really suffer on hills. If you live in an area that's all rolling hills like me then couldn't an electric assist motor make up for the extra weight of the body shell?
Great idea if you can get around the 25 km/h limit :) Check out Harry at Sinner Bikes' Mango. It has a Pedelec fitted. There are videos on him riding it.

Andrew
Andrew

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:11 pm

What kind of speeds does Harry get to by driving the motor through the gearing ?

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:17 pm

My understanding with the pedelec systems is that they cut out assistance at 27km/hr. So on the flat and downhill you would be cruising under your own steam and it would only help you out to accelerate from a stop, or to climb hills.

Pedelec is an excellent idea for velomobiles in hilly areas.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 pm

I think I read somewhere in a post by H@rry that he could do 40 kmh so he ad probably doctored it.
he also mentioned the distance he could do on a battery and it was respectable. Somewhere around 100 km. Obviously wasn't just using power of course.
I'll see if I can find the post again .

John
Edit: I think this was possibly the thread.
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... hp?t=92409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:07 pm

The Australian road rules 2012 state two power classes (in summary):
200W: unrestricted speed, however power is only to be applied when pedalling, hence pedal-assist.
250W: restricted to 25 km/h when pedalling. Power assist cuts out at 25 km/h.

Other rules are applicable to other countries (and states within those countries).
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:45 am

Riggsbie wrote:What kind of speeds does Harry get to by driving the motor through the gearing ?

Averaged 39.2 km/h on medium assist.

Andrew
Andrew