BRLVR.v2

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:00 pm

On one would be a very versatile platform IMO

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:On one would be a very versatile platform IMO
Yeah I am definitely sold on the frame now I just need to wait for the fork to come back in stock before ordering.
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry

HLC

Postby HLC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:31 pm

sil3nt wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:On one would be a very versatile platform IMO
Yeah I am definitely sold on the frame now I just need to wait for the fork to come back in stock before ordering.
shoot them an email, or order anyway. i am waiting for my frame to come in from them, and they have been more than helpful telling me del times, and will shuffle my bike to the head of the queue when it arrives.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 am

You boys ordering from US or UK?

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:00 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:You boys ordering from US or UK?
Uk for me, but they are out of stock of both the frame and fork at the moment.

I have flicked them an email to ask them to give me a heads up when they come back in, hopefully they are still doing the reduced rate shipping still :/

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 pm

I assume its the Macinato frame? Is anyone else of the impression from the pics and vid that it has a square down tube? (or square section mid length)

HLC

Postby HLC » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:09 pm

UK.

didn't even know there was a us site.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:07 pm

HLC wrote:
UK.

didn't even know there was a us site.
Sadface no word on stock they have no idea when the next frames will be in apparently :(

Have you got yours yet ?

takai

Postby takai » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:33 am

I have one of these frames:
http://www.larryscustomcycles.com.au/larry1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Built it up with parts lying around the garage, and a set of wheels off eBay, so relatively cheap build. Its a good comfortable frame, good for commuting and weekends. Quite like it, although im waiting on a new headset ATM as the one i am using is garbage (old non-sealed thing missing several BBs)

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:38 pm

takai wrote:I have one of these frames:
http://www.larryscustomcycles.com.au/larry1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Built it up with parts lying around the garage, and a set of wheels off eBay, so relatively cheap build. Its a good comfortable frame, good for commuting and weekends. Quite like it, although im waiting on a new headset ATM as the one i am using is garbage (old non-sealed thing missing several BBs)
Hey thanks for this, that's actually a really nice frame I am emailing them now RE sizing etc.

Cheers

takai

Postby takai » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:59 pm

sil3nt wrote:

Hey thanks for this, that's actually a really nice frame I am emailing them now RE sizing etc.

Cheers
I quite like it, and i reckon its a bit of a hidden gem.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:03 pm

takai wrote:
sil3nt wrote:

Cheers
I quite like it, and i reckon its a bit of a hidden gem.
Yeah agreed, I am just waiting on Guy to come back to me based on my roadie measurements. Like the look of the frames and decent quality from what I can tell. Your happy with yours I take it ?

takai

Postby takai » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:31 pm

sil3nt wrote: Yeah agreed, I am just waiting on Guy to come back to me based on my roadie measurements. Like the look of the frames and decent quality from what I can tell. Your happy with yours I take it ?
Yeah, very good quality. Ill take some close up photos of mine soon.

Was really happy with it until the headset collapsed. No fault of the frame, my fault more than anything by cheaping out and using an old headset i had lying around. Now i just have to wait for the new bling one to arrive from HK, which of course has been delayed because of CNY.

Guy is a great.... guy. Slight disclaimer too, ive known him through motorsport stuff for a while, so he was a natural place to look for a new frame. In the interests of full disclosure too I dont have any affiliation with Larrys Custom Cycles, although the Larry its named after does get rather excited and try to hump my leg.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:34 am

takai wrote:
sil3nt wrote: Yeah agreed, I am just waiting on Guy to come back to me based on my roadie measurements. Like the look of the frames and decent quality from what I can tell. Your happy with yours I take it ?
Yeah, very good quality. Ill take some close up photos of mine soon.

Was really happy with it until the headset collapsed. No fault of the frame, my fault more than anything by cheaping out and using an old headset i had lying around. Now i just have to wait for the new bling one to arrive from HK, which of course has been delayed because of CNY.

Guy is a great.... guy. Slight disclaimer too, ive known him through motorsport stuff for a while, so he was a natural place to look for a new frame. In the interests of full disclosure too I dont have any affiliation with Larrys Custom Cycles, although the Larry its named after does get rather excited and try to hump my leg.
Hahah leg humping hey... Thanks for the info good to hear they are good quality frames, hopefully Guy gets back to me on a size today and I can get an order in :)

**EDIT** Medium Black Frame with Chrome fork ordered
Last edited by sil3nt on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 pm

Anyone got some wheelset recommendations ? I want something that is both functional and looks good. I would be pleased if it had at least a 30mm profile and for obvious reasons it would need to have machined sidewalls for braking.

I had a quick look at the Brev M wheelsets they look good and due to the ano finish are coloured even on the cnc part of the rim which is impressive.

Anyhow open to suggestion and I probably want to limit my purchase of a set to a max of around $400

Cheers

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:12 pm

Bump ?

Can anyone suggest anything, after a bit of thought I have decided to throw some brakes on the back for my build so I would like an option that is CNC'd front and rear. (Unless someone can convince me otherwise ?)

I have had a look on Velomine and I can get a set of Velocity DeepV's with Formula hubs delivered for a touch under $250. I have a look around the interwebs and they certainly have a good rep for being a bulletproof wheel albeit a bit heavy (weight doesn't phase me so much)

I also had a look on Wiggle they have a set of Miche Express Wheels (approx $189 delivered) but I don't think the express hubs are quite as good as the Formula's on the Velocities.

Link here :http://www.this link is broken/miche-x-press-r ... ke-wheels/

I can just get away with a rear mind you as I have the option of using the front off the Malvic Cosmic Elites that came stock on my roadie.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

HLC

Postby HLC » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Yep Velomine is a great place to start looking.

You'll have no dramas with a Velocity Deep V to Formula combo at all. Yes as you said, a touch heavy, but most SS/Fixed wheelset's are.

If you are on Wiggle, look for the Miche Pistard's. About $220, do have a MSW as well, it's just ano'd black like the rest of the rim.

They would be my 2 choices as a solid, cheap and reliable wheel set. If you wanted to spend up to the $400 mark, I would also look at the Dura Ace to Mavic Open Pro wheelset's Velomine sell. Around $350 last time I look. The Dura-Ace hubs are amazing, I have them on my NJS bike, and open pro's are a good sturdy rim. Again, a little porky, but you get that with 32 straight guage spokes etc.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:01 pm

HLC wrote:Yep Velomine is a great place to start looking.

You'll have no dramas with a Velocity Deep V to Formula combo at all. Yes as you said, a touch heavy, but most SS/Fixed wheelset's are.

If you are on Wiggle, look for the Miche Pistard's. About $220, do have a MSW as well, it's just ano'd black like the rest of the rim.

They would be my 2 choices as a solid, cheap and reliable wheel set. If you wanted to spend up to the $400 mark, I would also look at the Dura Ace to Mavic Open Pro wheelset's Velomine sell. Around $350 last time I look. The Dura-Ace hubs are amazing, I have them on my NJS bike, and open pro's are a good sturdy rim. Again, a little porky, but you get that with 32 straight guage spokes etc.

Cheers HLC I actually really like the look of the pistard's and I was said when I figured the sidewall was not machined if I can ride with brakes on these I would be happy with the combo. I will check out the DA builds on Velomine too.

Thanks again, ps Nice new wheels in the pic's section :)

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Given the Miche's are single sided what options do I have if I want to attach a free wheel ? Will a WI freewheel screw on ?

Thanks

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:39 pm

sil3nt wrote:

Given the Miche's are single sided what options do I have if I want to attach a free wheel ? Will a WI freewheel screw on ?

Thanks
A BMX style free wheel will thread onto a fixed(stepped) hub no probs with enough thread to be secure. As there is no back pressure to undo it a lock ring is not necessary.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:55 pm

If you ask me, and no one did, I would build your own. You could build up a nice set of 1500-1600g wheels for about the same as you would pay for most of the wheelsets mentioned here. If you are a roadie who wants a winter training non-showpony, deep rims are excess to needs. Under 30mm will give you heaps of options. I was going Token track hubs with DT Swiss RR585's and DT comp spokes. All up around $450. Actually on c r c right now they have ProLite Bracciano rims for less than 50 each. These are 27mm deep and are a nice rim. I have a set of Bracciano's on my SS. There are a bunch more ProLite rims too. This will only work, of course, if you know someone who can build em up for you...

HLC

Postby HLC » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:56 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:
sil3nt wrote:

Thanks
A BMX style free wheel will thread onto a fixed(stepped) hub no probs with enough thread to be secure. As there is no back pressure to undo it a lock ring is not necessary.
Yep. I've had a freewheel screwed onto my gf's rear wheel with track threads for over 2 years with no dramas.

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:21 pm

mrgolf wrote:If you ask me, and no one did, I would build your own. You could build up a nice set of 1500-1600g wheels for about the same as you would pay for most of the wheelsets mentioned here. If you are a roadie who wants a winter training non-showpony, deep rims are excess to needs. Under 30mm will give you heaps of options. I was going Token track hubs with DT Swiss RR585's and DT comp spokes. All up around $450. Actually on c r c right now they have ProLite Bracciano rims for less than 50 each. These are 27mm deep and are a nice rim. I have a set of Bracciano's on my SS. There are a bunch more ProLite rims too. This will only work, of course, if you know someone who can build em up for you...

I did see the Pro-lite rims on c r c but I did notice that the rim option is at max 24 hole which I figured for rear might be a bit light on strength wise for this application ? Are you happy with the strength of them with 24h rear ?

Cheers

sil3nt

Postby sil3nt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:27 pm

HLC wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:
sil3nt wrote:

Thanks
Yep. I've had a freewheel screwed onto my gf's rear wheel with track threads for over 2 years with no dramas.
Thanks HLC

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:01 pm

I havent noticed any problems. How much do you weigh? I am only 65kgs, but they seem plenty stiff and strong for the application. I did 110kms with 1850m of climb on my single on Sunday and the wheels were fantastic. Topped out at 76kmh down a long hill, and the wheels inspired confidence as part of that package. A lihter wheelset will pay big dividends when climbing. You want to train roadie style with hills?

I have a 75kg friend who has had his for a few years. They have some other ProLite rims there too which seem comparable and are 30mm. Either way, with some slightly judicious spoke/hub/rim selection, you will come away with a kick bum set of SS wheels designed for hard training with a bit of quality about them, rather than an unnecessarily heavy set whose strength lies in its weight, rather than its considered construction. Unless you weigh more than 80, in which case, dont skimp on weight. Aim for around 1700. Just my 2c.