Cyclist in hospital after attack by motorist in NZ.

wurtulla wabbit

Re: Cyclist in hospital after attack by motorist in NZ.

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 pm

I have given the finger, banged doors, given verbal but never kisses :D

Been close to cleaned up plenty of times, even on a Ducati with twin carbon race cans, wearing a bright orange and white race onesie :(

Some people are just fricken blind !

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:43 am

The charges have been upgraded from common assault to injuring with intent to cause grievous bodily harm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/ne ... say-police" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.3news.co.nz/Charge-upgraded- ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 am

Ross wrote:The charges have been upgraded from common assault to injuring with intent to cause grievous bodily harm

http://www.3news.co.nz/Charge-upgraded- ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems that most of the comments there blame the cyclist and support the actions of the driver.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:52 am

Ross wrote: http://www.3news.co.nz/Charge-upgraded- ... fault.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:shock: :shock: :shock: OMGosh that is one Mother of A?????????????????
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:35 pm

First comment is from Nigel :lol: :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

exadios

Postby exadios » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:47 pm

il padrone wrote:
exadios wrote:I think she should have avoided the subject all together.
What? Like avoid talking about the assault altogether? Or maybe avoid talking about the fact that they were driving on a road :roll:

The provocation, warranted or unwarranted, was an undoubted factor, a key aspect of the whole incident :? Really cannot be avoided. She pointed out how this was no excuse for the actions that occurred.
No, I mean that she should have limited herself to only to commenting on the assault.
I have no doubt that the defendant's attorney will argue provocation. That is his/her job to do so. But this defense will be rejected by the court.

Why the bicycling organization official should raise it at all is not clear. It is certainly not her job.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Nigels post is funny. :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:08 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:Nigels post is funny. :lol:
Hmmm wonder if he is this Nigel...
We're only making plans for Nigel
Nigel's whole future is as good as sealed
And if young Nigel says he's happy
He must be happy
He must be happy in his work
Nigel is not outspoken
But he likes to speak
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:47 pm

who is Nigel :?
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Hmm.... it may be a bit dated, but back in the late 80s and 90s this was a term used amongst many cyclists for this type of character:

He has a surname and it begins with 'W' :mrgreen:
Mandatory helmet law?

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:24 pm

il padrone wrote:Hmm.... it may be a bit dated, but back in the late 80s and 90s this was a term used amongst many cyclists for this type of character:

uber annoying
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:09 pm

Apple wrote:
who is Nigel :?
Nigel no friends. Not to be confused with Neville Nobody or Scott no clue

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 pm

il padrone wrote:Hmm.... it may be a bit dated, but back in the late 80s and 90s this was a term used amongst many cyclists for this type of character:

And could be somewhat amazing. It was a Nigel who rode from Ocean Grove to Melb one evening during a GVBR to go to a party.. and next morning arrived in time to start.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 am

So it's Nigel the paperboy who used to be on Radio Hauraki in the mornings?
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:30 pm

Call for calm after road rage attack http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10868653" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyclists and car lovers are calling for calm after an alleged road-rage attack this week put a Taupo triathlete in hospital with serious injuries.

"I think everyone's got to slow down a bit and chill out, because the road is not owned by the cyclists or the drivers," said ironman triathlete Glen Cornwell, who was badly injured when he was accidentally knocked off his bike in January by an SUV.

But Mr Cornwell admits calmness is unlikely from a cyclist threatened by dangerous or aggressive driving.

Alasdair Slade, 49, who was on a training ride for today's ironman race in Taupo, suffered pelvic injuries and a broken collarbone in Monday's altercation.

Police said a ute going in the opposite direction to him near Taupo passed another vehicle.

Mr Slade believed the ute came too close to him and made a finger gesture to the driver.

The ute driver, dairy farmer Joseph Arthur Frederick Roberts, 21, allegedly turned back, passed Mr Slade, got out of the vehicle and pushed him off his bike.

Roberts was charged with injuring with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

From hospital, Mr Slade said: "Every cyclist has a bullseye on his butt."

Road rage between cyclists and motorists is rare, says Cycle Action Auckland chairwoman Barbara Cuthbert.

Actual violence - such as the hot coffee thrown on a cycle courier by a driver in Canada, or the cyclist who stabbed a motorist with a screwdriver, also in Canada - occurs infrequently in New Zealand.

An American cyclist was tackled off his bike and punched by a motorist in Wellington last year.

More frequent is fist and finger waving, shouting and swearing, when cyclists and drivers assert their versions of who is in the right. And with a near-10 per cent increase in cyclists on monitored Auckland roads and cycleways last year, the competition for space will only intensify.

Bike-vehicle crashes put 300 cyclists a year in hospital, and on average kill 10.

One was Wellington policeman Superintendent Steve Fitzgerald in 2008. That case led a coroner to urge that cyclists be required to wear high-visibility clothing.

A cycling advocate dismissed the coronial recommendation, saying safer roading was needed, such as the separation of cycle and vehicle lanes on busy streets.

Commodore Car Club president Dennis Anderson said that in disputes on roads, "everyone needs to count to 10 before they do anything".

"I don't mind cyclists being on the road as long as they obey the rules. It's just the odd one that thinks they can get across on a red light. It's the odd idiot and, to be honest, there is the odd idiot in cars too." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Cornwell, who is recovering from surgery after he was hit from behind and suffered back injuries, said he had experienced similar incidents to Mr Slade's when training solo in the Waitakere Ranges.

"I've had to pull over and stop in the gutter."

He disagreed with the advice of Cycle Action Auckland to give "a wave and a smile" when motorists behaved badly.

"I'm not going to smile and wave when someone does that. I wouldn't do the fingers. Sometimes it's just a reaction, adrenalin pumping and you yell and swear, but it's not the best thing to do. You need to make them aware, like shaking your fist or throwing your hands up in the air and saying, 'Look out mate'.

"If the driver acknowledges they made a mistake, in that situation you don't want to abuse them."

He had never been chased and confronted like Mr Slade, but he had been followed from one set of traffic lights to the next in an intimidating fashion.

He said cyclists needed to be ultra-defensive and be prepared for every parked car to pull out in front of them or have its door flung open.

Opinion: Cyclists and drivers - what's wrong? With comments http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10868659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Recent events have fuelled debate between cyclists and drivers over road rules and acceptable behaviour. We talked to a cyclist and a driver and got their opinions on the matter.

A cyclist's view

Alistair Woodward, Head of School of Population Health, Auckland University

Auckland is a wonderful city for cycling. I ride to work most days, and I also ride socially with friends at the weekend. The harbours and the hills are stunning and the weather is kind.

There are risks. In nine years, I have been knocked off my bike by cars twice. But it is easy to get this out of proportion. The number of people drowned in New Zealand each year is 10 times that killed on bikes, but no-one ever says to me "you must be brave, going swimming in Auckland, it is just so dangerous".

There are still frustrations - bike lanes that end abruptly, traffic lights that don't register cyclists, roads that narrow suddenly and pitch you into the stream of traffic. But things are improving. I ride along Tamaki Drive frequently and it is much more attractive and secure than it once was.

A big difference is the amount of space on the road that is now dedicated to bikes.

How to make it better? I'm in favour of extending the network of bike paths. The path along the Northwest Motorway for example is fantastic, and heavily used. However, the biggest improvements in safety could come from changing the physical spaces that cyclists and motorists share. This means more bike lanes, smarter design of intersections, better car parking, lower traffic speeds in residential areas. It's no mystery - there are lots of cycle-friendly cities overseas we can learn from.

A driver's view

Matt Greenop, Editor, Weekend Herald, Driven magazine

Cyclists aren't evil, they're not a scourge and they shouldn't be considered two-wheeled targets on the road. Generally. But there's a a dark side to this colourful Lycra world.

Maybe their helmets are too tight, or they just develop a Bono-sized ego when the shades go on. Either way, they're ruining it for people who follow the rules.

Riding in large groups while ignoring the line of cars building up behind them is annoying. They know that. So why the irritating behaviour? Judging by the Mamils (middle-aged men in lycra) who seem to feel most hard done-by for having to share the road with other people, they suffer from a persecution complex that most cyclists don't.

Their other faves are firing down the middle of lanes of traffic, making it near impossible for motorists to cross their paths without fear of an accident, or tearing through traffic lights on red while pedestrians are forced to leap out of the way.

Road pigs are going to irritate whether on bikes or cars. And when they get bowled as a result of their own arrogant behaviour they blame others. A two-fingered salute or a bit of abuse is likely to leave a foot-sized dent in the door as the cyclist disappears into traffic.

We have to share the road and work from the same rule book. Do this and it should be fine.
2012 Oppy A4

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:19 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
A driver's view

Matt Greenop, Editor, Weekend Herald, Driven magazine

Cyclists aren't evil, they're not a scourge and they shouldn't be considered two-wheeled targets on the road. Generally. But there's a a dark side to this colourful Lycra world.

Maybe their helmets are too tight, or they just develop a Bono-sized ego when the shades go on. Either way, they're ruining it for people who follow the rules.

Riding in large groups while ignoring the line of cars building up behind them is annoying. They know that. So why the irritating behaviour? Judging by the Mamils (middle-aged men in lycra) who seem to feel most hard done-by for having to share the road with other people, they suffer from a persecution complex that most cyclists don't.

Their other faves are firing down the middle of lanes of traffic, making it near impossible for motorists to cross their paths without fear of an accident, or tearing through traffic lights on red while pedestrians are forced to leap out of the way.

Road pigs are going to irritate whether on bikes or cars. And when they get bowled as a result of their own arrogant behaviour they blame others. A two-fingered salute or a bit of abuse is likely to leave a foot-sized dent in the door as the cyclist disappears into traffic.

We have to share the road and work from the same rule book. :shock: <really?> Do this and it should be fine.
For the love of Mike!! :roll:

What is it with the gonzo comments from the auto-enthusiast mob?

Public statement from an editor of a magazine..... and he can't have enough decorum and responsibility, in the light of NZ's tragic record on cyclist deaths and injuries, to avoid the petty insults and stereotypes ??? Not a very good reflection on the automobile culture I'm afraid.

Alistair Woodward comes across as quite sensible, pro-bikes of course, but reasonable and respectful of all road users. Not trying to blame drivers but looking at ways to improve the transport system. Matt Greenop just comes across as a fool, an arrogant and selfish one at that.
Mandatory helmet law?

AKO

Postby AKO » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:52 pm

In regard to original story, the thing I found interesting was the driver was in so much of a hurry that he was willing to perform an unsafe overtake, but not in that much of a hurry that he didn't have time to turn around and assault a cyclist. There is every chance the driver didn't see the cyclist while setting up the overtake, this is why I always run my front light during the day (on flash mode) to improve visibility. If he didn't see the cyclist till it was too late than an apology would have gone a long way (an apologetic wave perhaps), if he did see the cyclist and overtook anyway, than the finger is the best he could have expected.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:24 am

AKO wrote:In regard to original story, the thing I found interesting was the driver was in so much of a hurry that he was willing to perform an unsafe overtake, but not in that much of a hurry that he didn't have time to turn around and assault a cyclist. There is every chance the driver didn't see the cyclist while setting up the overtake, this is why I always run my front light during the day (on flash mode) to improve visibility. If he didn't see the cyclist till it was too late than an apology would have gone a long way (an apologetic wave perhaps), if he did see the cyclist and overtook anyway, than the finger is the best he could have expected.
Very few people on the roads are actually in a hurry but almost everyone on the road will drive like they are. It's one of the strange effects that getting behind the wheel has on people, I'm not sure why it happens but even I do it, I think it's a natural reaction to how unpleasant urban driving is.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:17 am

........a natural reaction to the auto industry marketing that you can just fly along the roads at a hundred miles an hour :roll:

All about attitude. I am reminded of one of the worst I struck in this regard. We were cycle-touring along the Tasman Hwy near Bicheno, Tas. and as we approached a crest (single-file) we saw another group of cyclists approaching ahead, over the crest. Suddenly a strange object appears ahead, coming over the hill-crest ..... a large tour coach, overtaking these riders correctly, fully over the line - trouble is it was double lines and he was on a crest :shock: , on our side of the road. :evil:

We gave him the appropriate signal for his arrant stupidity.... and he had the gall to blast his horn at us and shake his fist as he went by (90-100kmh, ~1m away, travelling the opposite direction to us). The other cyclists were equally pissed off with his actions.

I have a strong suspicion that most tour bus drivers are just failed truck-drivers.
Mandatory helmet law?

Rogo101

Postby Rogo101 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:23 am

This is what happened to us yesterday 15/4, Towards the end of our ride. Whilst riding on princes hwy engadine heading nth.in the kerb lane adjacent cooper st park about 1130hrs. This is 3 lanes in both directions , parked cars tend to take up the bike lane near the railway station.
Well as we came to 50m before the 1st parked car, only 3 in the group riding, 2 on the front 1 behind to take the lane, outside checks behind no cars for 50 to 100m, signals intensions and change lane.10 secs later white commodore skims outside rider missing elbow by 10cm. No other cars clear lane beside.
Rider raises arm in anger and frustration, driver hits brakes pulls into side street, we stop , I say mate what are you doing you nearly hit us. Driver 40 ish driver yells you have to be single line on a hwy.
Me, no mate the law says can be 2 abreast not moe than 1.5 m apart , look it up Rta web site.
Drive, approaching fast I notice what I thought was a tyre lever, silly me, as he got closer and raised a machete to threaten us.
Me , put that thing away otherwise will call cops.
Mate, will get them any way.
Anyway go to police station with number plate, tell them what happened, mentioned we,re fireys to get a bit of emergency service agency support.
Police identify driver , (without prejuding this guy my educated guess is he,s got form) and ask what we want to do, you go see him ie what's he doing with a machete and at the least give him a personality check,police style.
So upshot is police say if you want to go to court, theyll find him but you'll have to prove it, and he'll say,"you 3 threatened him" hence he needed the weapon to protect himself .
At this stage were considering what to do
Lessened learned, by a camera for bike.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:55 am

Rogo101 wrote: Police identify driver , (without prejuding this guy my educated guess is he,s got form) and ask what we want to do, you go see him ie what's he doing with a machete and at the least give him a personality check,police style.
So upshot is police say if you want to go to court, theyll find him but you'll have to prove it, and he'll say,"you 3 threatened him" hence he needed the weapon to protect himself .
The police again sound like they're being dismissive. Stopping a car and exiting to approach cyclists isn't the actions of somebody who feels threatened.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:04 am

I would take that complaint up with the police officers superior. If the guy had a machete and is using it to threaten people, it needs to be dealt with properly - ie this isn't something that should ever be brushed off.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:40 am

That's the usual put-off the cops use to see how serious you *really* are, and whether it is worth investing any more of their scarce time.

And if you're not prepared to go to court, why should they bother? Don't waste their time. Getting a camera isn't a magic bullet for getting Police engagement, you still need to go to court, testify, and be cross-examined by the defense.

As for the he said/she said, it depends on the testimony. There's no such thing as proof in a mathematical sense, but it is entirely possible to satisfy the "beyond reasonable doubt" test. Especially if the cops raid his place and find a machete in the boot.

If you really want to see something done about this guy before he hurts someone, harden up and go to court.

Once you've been through it, it's not that scary. Maintain the rage.