Saddle not so nice anymore

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Saddle not so nice anymore

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:20 pm

My bike has a Fizik Arione VS saddle on it. It was comfortable for a while is now turning into a device of torture! :shock: Even over 35km, I'm in pain. I'm wearing some Castelli Velicissimo Due shorts which seem reasonable enough.

Anyone have any recommendations on a better saddle? I realise this is one of those things that you go through a million of them before finding the right one.
g-boaf

by BNA » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm

BNA

Re: Saddle not so nice anymore

Postby reefer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Just gone through the same ordeal. I tried the Arione as well, felt like sitting on a log to me. I ended up with a Specialized Romin EVO Pro 143mm, after finding the 155mm too wide.

Best part was being able to test a few different ones over what turned out to be months.

Just about to put the wife through this as her saddle that came on her Orbea is awful.
reefer

Postby sumgy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:56 am

Try lots and buy the one you like.
Completely personal thing.
sumgy

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:34 am

g-boaf wrote:My bike has a Fizik Arione VS saddle on it. It was comfortable for a while is now turning into a device of torture! :shock: Even over 35km, I'm in pain. I'm wearing some Castelli Velicissimo Due shorts which seem reasonable enough.

Anyone have any recommendations on a better saddle? I realise this is one of those things that you go through a million of them before finding the right one.

Fizik saddles are often quite narrow in the back. They certainly don't suit me. To narrow down the field, try to get a measure of the distance between the bony parts of your bum ('sit bones') and then look for some thing with the width to acommodate. Personally I've found a series of Selle Italia, Brooks and Charge saddles to work for me...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:50 am

What specific issues u having with your versus? How old/kms is it? How long was it comfortable for?
Dr_Mutley

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Well, I dropped it about 10mm and angled it up a little bit - feels better now.

Maybe it's me changing over time too - I noticed today I'm only 60kg. :shock: I have never felt better.
g-boaf

Postby grimbo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:36 am

I have a Fizik Arione saddle on my commuter, which really suits me. So I got the Fizik Arione VS saddle for my other (weekend) bike, as I assumed it would have the same comfort but be a bit easier on the boy-bits. Unfortunately I find the VS a lot firmer to the point of being uncomfortably hard, and the edges in the cutout really concentrate the pressure on the cheeks so that I have a tender butski for hours after my weekend ride.

If I was doing it again, I would probably go with Specialized's "fit and swap until you're happy" service.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough
grimbo

Return to Buying a bike / parts