Freeway Ride?

senator52

Freeway Ride?

Postby senator52 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:38 am

Anyone doing the Coles Freeway ride for asthma? Or has anyone done it before? Was thinking bout checking it out, wondering whether it was worth being my first cycling *event*. Cheers.
Last edited by senator52 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:01 am

I know nothing about the ride, not a lot about Perth actually, except that it breeds nutters like Bicyclewa :shock:

Give the ride a go. Those big group rides are fun. :D

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:59 am

The web site for the Freeway Bike hike is here http://www.freewaybikehike.com.au/

They shut down the freeway and the poly pipe tunnel and about 8,000 cyclists get to ride it in either a 30 km or 10 km length.

I'm looking at taking the full touring rig out with BOB trailer and 4 panniers all loaded with styrofoam and give some of the racers a hard time :D

Make sure that you have full water bottles on your bike otherwise they won't let you ride.

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:18 pm

I only have one cage for a bottle on my rig...will that be enough?

europa

Postby europa » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:42 pm

Look for an ugly bloke with a trailer and fat panniers - nick some from him :D

Richard

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:58 pm

Hmm, now to work out how fast i think i can do it. Don't really know if i will be able to do 30km under 55mins so i think i'll go the next group...(under 70mins i think it is) :wink:

europa

Postby europa » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:39 pm

Mate, unless you are one of the 'go fast' brigade, work on 20 kms every hour. Sure, you'll do it quicker than that, but if you hit a head wind, or meet up with someone really interesting at a drink stop ...

The Fun Tour at the Tour Down Under (designed for every man and his dog) was set at 15km/hr. The cops sat along at that speed and everyone was passing them. It was wayyyy too slow - even the coppers admitted it.

I generally sit along at a bit over 20km'hr by the speedo - sometimes only 21, sometimes 25 and above, and I'm more likely to pass someone than be passed. Of course, I don't know how many people are travelling at the same speed as me, but working on 20km every hour seems a reasonable compromise, a measure that allows for a bit of down time ... and a nice feeling if you get there early :D

Richard

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:09 pm

Thats probably good advice, im in good shape from basketball, but im still really a new cyclist (which of course is a different form of fitness...) so i think just starting low is a good idea. I checked last years results, even some ppl starting last in the D group went under 55mins! Haha i think ill start way back then, C or D. Probs gonna do it with a "long lost uncle", haha. Well actually a "fake" uncle, who i know well and was the reason i really got into cycling :) cheers for the advice! Anymore good tips for a beginner is welcome. For 30kms if i do not regularly do a ride of that distance, would it be necessary to do a few pre-event? Or can i just keep the rides a bit shorter for the moment and work my way there...?

europa

Postby europa » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:14 pm

If you haven't ridden 30km, it can be a bit of a shock. Once you have, it's just time in the saddle. So do a few rides if you like. I don't know the country, whether it's flat or mountainous, but choose somewhere similar and just go for a ride for an hour. If you can ride for an hour, you can do 30 km. It's really about pacing yourself and not trying to beat the funny looking bloke who bears a passing resemblance to Stuart O'Grady :D

Have fun. That's the main thing.

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:20 pm

senator52 wrote:I only have one cage for a bottle on my rig...will that be enough?
The rules state that you only need at least one bottle.
europa wrote:Mate, unless you are one of the 'go fast' brigade, work on 20 kms every hour.
I might see if we can reconstruct the BicycleWA racer for this ride. It topped out at 110 km/h. :D

europa

Postby europa » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:24 pm

bicyclewa wrote:I might see if we can reconstruct the BicycleWA racer for this ride. It topped out at 110 km/h. :D
Don't listen to him. We could hear Crank's screams here in Adelaide :shock:

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:28 pm

europa wrote:Don't listen to him. We could hear Crank's screams here in Adelaide :shock:
Crank was OK, he just wrecked some Lycra. The bike though was a total write off. It disintegrated leaving a trail of destruction along the road. :D

We could build another one, but it's time consuming.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:31 pm

europa wrote:I know nothing about the ride, not a lot about Perth actually, except that it breeds nutters like Bicyclewa :shock:
Actually I just remembered that I am the moderator in here. You are not from WA, so I have deleted all of your posts. :D

Only nutters can still see them :lol:

Crank

Postby Crank » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:26 pm

Have not been hear for a while been hard at work building a paper mache bicycle since every one thinks of weight all the time so this could be the bike for those people but i wont be able to ride it this time because since i ride a bicycle with my house aboard and my legs are a big size i think i will just rip the crank out of the paper mache :shock: :shock: :D :D

After the last ride as it sounds like every one knows about i was ok just a bit of Lycra thats all... and the screams that were heard could of been the naked ride i did... :D :D

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:15 pm

How is the paper mache bicycle coming along :D Can I do a feature for the web site.

Do you think it will exceed the top speed of the last racer?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:38 pm

bicyclewa wrote: How do I turn this signature off???????
Click the 'No' radio button for the 'Always display my signature' entry in the 'Preferences' section of your profile. :wink:

Crank

Postby Crank » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:28 pm

bicyclewa wrote:How is the paper mache bicycle coming along :D Can I do a feature for the web site.

Do you think it will exceed the top speed of the last racer?
Its not comeing along at all im getting fed up playing around with light S#iT.
But you could do a thing or 2 on some real bike gear?? like metal rims, friction shifters [your favorite], real frames,and my favorite fat tyres because they slow me down.. :D :D

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:32 pm

I ride with fat tyres, a BOB trailer and loaded panniers, just to stop me going so fast. :D

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:14 pm

OK, enough of the "light" talk and back to the Freeway ride :lol:

Last year I had been riding for about 5 months and had a Avanti Blade Sport flat bar. I booked myself to go in C group and finished in 72 minutes.

This year I'm hoping to break the hour as I am 20kg lighter and on a pure road bike (full carbon :wink: ). I've still only put myself in B group though as I think A is only for really serious people!! I noticed that you could only be in A group with a road bike. I would recommend not starting in D group though as this group contains HEAPS of people!! A friend of mine started in this group two years ago and basically got trapped behind a whole bunch of folks with no brains (like about 20 abreast right across the freeway and not moving for anyone!!). Just my opinion though as plan to finish as fast as I can (can't help myself!! :oops: ).

It is a great ride and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Moo...

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:35 pm

Do you know if there is any of the BS regarding having to remove aero bars (tri bars)?

The other big ride in Perth requires the removal of aero/tri/touring bars.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:51 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I booked myself to go in C group and finished in 72 minutes.
I'm looking at this class, because I'll be stopping for photographs and I'll be riding fully loaded and pulling the BOB trailer with all of the BicycleWA banners on it. :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:58 pm

bicyclewa wrote:The other big ride in Perth requires the removal of aero/tri/touring bars.
Really.... Is it against the law to have them attached ?

Have a nice day
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa

Postby europa » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:01 pm

I understood that anyone riding something based on a Mongoose would be banned forever from WA roads. There was something about them being transported to the prison colonies of Tasmania. Any truth in that?

Richard

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:03 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Really.... Is it against the law to have them attached ?
For the ride around the rivers, they state "No Tri bars". I tried the argument that mine are touring bars and are mounted a lot higher, but they claim Tri Bars are dangerous in group rides, so I didn't do the ride.

It's too much trouble removing them, plus I have the camera mounted on them now too.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:05 pm

europa wrote:I understood that anyone riding something based on a Mongoose would be banned forever from WA roads. There was something about them being transported to the prison colonies of Tasmania. Any truth in that?

Richard
Yeah, I'm being transported in July, hence the mods being done to my bike at the moment, and the purchasing of alpine riding equipment and gears. :D

Note to WA Moderator - We've hijacked the thread again. Sorry :D