Perth to Melbourne During End June till End July

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Perth to Melbourne During End June till End July

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:23 pm

G'day Peeps,

Greeting From Singapore! My name is Paul, I new to the cycling community as I had just started commiting in cycling only last year. With a nature toward adventure and travelling, i came to realised that touring might just be my cup of tea^^

With my break coming in Mid June till early August I thought what better way to spend it than a touring in Australia! And yes this started me on my planning but as i had not been to Australia during winter, i hope i can seek some advice from the good guy here.

I'm be cycling from Perth to Melbourne alone. I'll be cycling through Nullarbor for my crossing and this is a biggest challenge i have anticipated.

With that I hope to seek the widsom of the community on the following:

1. What is the weather/ temperature like in this route during this period of time?
2. Is the wildlife in this area at this period of time activity?
3. I do understand that water is a big issue, How much do i need to bring to be on the safe side.
4. As i had total no experience in cycling in winter what are the things that i need to pay more attention to? like clothing and etc....?
5. I'll be doing camping as much as possible, hence is camping out of the road safe?

Thank you, good people so much I hope to hear from you!!!!

Cheers
Paul Ang
Rider from Singapore^^

ozipom

Re: Perth to Melbourne During End June till End July

Postby ozipom » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi Paul
1. What is the weather/ temperature like in this route during this period of time?
Nights are cool, days can be a little wet. You are certainly heading the right direction to take advantage of the prevailing winds during the winter.
2. Is the wildlife in this area at this period of time activity?
Besides the plenty of roadkill, you'll most likely see a lot of kangaroos, a few lizards and some large eagles. Didn't see a single snake on my trip across last year.
3. I do understand that water is a big issue, How much do i need to bring to be on the safe side.
I carried at most 10l of water (2x4l bladders and 2 x bottles). Think I was drinking about 3l a day, plus used some for cooking. So 10l could last easily for two days. You can get water at all the roadhouses, some will charge, others will let you have it for free. Also there were plenty of grey nomads (camper van drivers) who were more than happy to top you up along the way. Don't rely on the water tanks, as when I checked they were all empty.
4. As i had total no experience in cycling in winter what are the things that i need to pay more attention to? like clothing and etc....?
Being Winter the nights will be cool, so make sure you have packed your thermals. Also it can still get warm during the day and there is a lack of shade for some long sections, so I also carried a hat with me to keep the sun off my face. Make sure you have good waterproofs as it can get wet and there is no where to shelter.
5. I'll be doing camping as much as possible, hence is camping out of the road safe?
There are plenty of rest areas, small dirt roads or even roadhouses where you can pitch you tent. Every night I was camping was very peaceful. I would certainly recommend camping at the Great Australian Bight, amazing views of the cliffs. Just don't go to close to the edge.

A couple of other tips for riding across the Nullarbor;
  • - Make sure people can see you when riding. I had a hi-vis vest and my panniers of bright yellow. A lot of drivers were pleased and commented that they could see me for miles ahead.
    - Roadtrains are massive trucks. The drivers are usually really good and will give you a wide birth when overtaking. If you see that there is a roadtrain coming as well as the one trying to overtake you, get off the road. There isn't space for 2 roadtrains and a cyclist on these roads. Also be careful of the draught from the roadtrain, as the second (or third) wagon can suck you back towards the wheels!
For a bit more information on my tour I did last year have a look at Perth to Adelaide blog. Also for my trip from Adelaide to Melbourne I followed the Great Ocean Road, you might find this link useful as well Adelaide to Melbourne blog
- Brian

Surly Ogre
Avanti Vivace 2009
Long Haul Trucker
Bike Friday - Pocket Llama
Link to my Tours around Australia

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:41 am

Thank you so much for sharing with me, i'll keep your point in mind whilei'm planning for my trip.

Thanks!

GregLR

Postby GregLR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:00 am

Paul

I thought I'd resend some information I provided in a post to this thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This brochure put out by Western Australian Department of Transport "How to Safely Cycle the Nullarbor" looks helpful
http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFil ... ochure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This site provides lots of information about towns and facilities on the Nullarbor: http://www.nullarbornet.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This book also has lots of information: "Bike Australia: Cycling Across Australia from Perth to Sydney” by Paul Salter (Epic Guides, NZ, first edition, 2001). Salter favours Spring and Autumn and makes this comment about doing the cross country trip in Winter: "Winter (June to August) can be okay for bicycle touring too, although be prepared for bitterly cold nights and frequent rain."

I thought I’d also mention that two commercial touring companies have chosen the July-August period to cross the Nullarbor on the Perth to Melbourne tours they are offering this year. The information provided on their websites might be helpful in planning your daily stages:

Cycle Across Oz: Perth to Melbourne - 28 July to 2 September 2013:
http://www.cycleacrossaustralia.com/fil ... 202013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All Trails:: Kalgoorlie to Adelaide sector: 18 July to 4 August 2013
http://www.alltrails.com.au/alltrails-r ... ge-10.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(click on the “Day to Day” tab to see the daily stages & distances, etc)

Also, I have a brochure put out by the Western Australia and South Australia tourism offices called "Australia's Great Road Journey: The Nullarbor: Adelaide - Perth Adventure 2008/09" that has lots of useful information. But the last time I looked I couldn't find reference to a later version on either http://www.westernaustralia.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.southaustralia.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You could contact those offices by e-mail to see if you can obtain a copy of the brochure.

A final comment: in view of your relative inexperience with cycling and cycletouring I wonder if you might also consider cycletouring in other areas of Australia first to gain experience (eg, regions with more towns & facilities) before trying to ride all the way across the country in particular across the Nullarbor. For example, consult the Lonely Planet guidebook "Cycling Australia" - http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/australia/ ... ia-guide-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Just thought I'd mention.

Greg

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:59 am

Thank you GregLR,

Your information and advice are valuable and important for my planning i'll take note on them as i plan.

Actually i had done touring once in Taiwan around the country (About 1000km) for 12 days, that went i reaslised that touring was my cup of tea.

With the previous experience, I would like to post this challenge to myself. Still i know there a big different which i will take extra care and note on it.

If there is any other things that I should be taking note of please let me know.

Thanks!!

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:51 pm

G'day Peeps,

First i would like to thank all the good people that had given me with plently of information to work on.

After measuring the pro and cons I deicded to continue with this tour.

Have been since digesting the information that i can find from the net and inform from fellow cyclist and i had finished my route planning yesterday. I would like to show it you guys for comments but i had a problem in uploading the words file that i had done up.

This there any kind soul that can advice me on how i can cut and paste the word file here?

Many thanks to you guys!!

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi Peeps,

Trying this to see if it work, please ignore some of the mileage as i'm still working out on the daily mileage and resting point as i would like to stop at every road house as much as possible.

So feel free to leave your comments on for me to improve on my route thanks!

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Apologie, The links are as per below.

http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/2whee ... 6301206826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:30 pm

Be aware that the roadhouse at Yalata is not operating and has not been operating for a while. So carry extra food/water from Nullabor to Penong

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Be aware that the roadhouse at Yalata is not operating and has not been operating for a while. So carry extra food/water from Nullabor to Penong
Thank you Baalzamon i'll take note of that!

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks peeps for the feedback, currently i'm looking into the issue with electricity and is considering in getting the power monkey portable solar pannel.

Understanding it winter, i would like to check if it works during the winter time or it actually don't.

Thank alot for looking into this question too!

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Lots of ideas on generating electricity here;

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50649&hilit=dynohub+device" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will be riding quite big daily distances for a fully loaded tour. I hope you are fit and strong enough and don't miss out on the view.

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Tim wrote:Lots of ideas on generating electricity here;

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50649&hilit=dynohub+device" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will be riding quite big daily distances for a fully loaded tour. I hope you are fit and strong enough and don't miss out on the view.
Thank you Tim,

I hope i can make it too had been training for this trip since last year Dec. Currently the changing training into run/ jog due to bike replacement.

Waiting for my Surly LHT to be ready to hit the road before I continue the training with Bike.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Good bike for the tour.
All the best and I hope you have a really good time here.

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Tim wrote:Good bike for the tour.
All the best and I hope you have a really good time here.
Thank Tim for the well wishes!!

If this expedition is a success, all the good people here would deserve the credit as all of you guys had provide me with information that i need to make this trip a success!

So thank you guys for the help!!

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Fri May 03, 2013 11:31 am

Good day Peeps!

Thank you all for the information that you had been providing for the pass months. Sad to say due to some sudden change in my work commitments my plan from perth to Adelaide had to be postpone.

But with a determine heart for a taste of touring in Australia, I'm still want to plan for something else on my shorten holidays of 16days.

I had been looking on google map to try to spot a route in between cities with a distances of about 1200km to 1400km but with out much success. I then come upon the great ocean road that seen to be a good route although shorter hence i would like to seek some advice from you guys on some of the inform for this winter.

1. Is this route suitable for winter? (I'm leaving Singapore on the 5July latest 6 July and returning on the 21 July)
2. What are some of the things that I need to prepare or expect on this route?
3. If this route is not suitable, is there any recommedation on where i could go for that is between 1200km to 1400km? (good to be in between cities so that i can arrange my flight plan accordingly.

Thank you for the respone in advance. It had really been very kind and helpful for the cycling community here.

Cheers
Paul Ang

rama

Postby rama » Thu May 09, 2013 10:06 pm

You might consider going north from Perth, along the Indian Ocean Drive, all the way to Monkey Mia which is around 900kms.
If you push it hard, you could make it to Coral Bay, which is 600kms further to the north.

2 Wheel 2 Legs

Postby 2 Wheel 2 Legs » Sat May 11, 2013 6:25 pm

Thank Rama!

Actually i'm been reading on perth north ward too.

Wish to check how was the road condition on the north west coastal high way?

Is there road house along the way from Karratha to Carnarvon?

If there is are they still operational?

What kind of traffic condition i'll be expecting if travel on this highway?

If frequent road train expected through out the whole joureny or part of it?

Lstly how the wind condition during july in this part of road? generally northward or south ward?

Thanks for the enquires!!