from manchester england
ive just got hold ov a repco 3seed chopper
no one in england seems to no anything about them
so i thought i would ask you guys
i wil try and upload some pictures :P :P :P :P

cp123

Re: repco chopper

Postby cp123 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:15 pm

I have my brother's at home. I tried to resurrect it but nobody here knows how to adjust/fix a sturmey archer hub.

raleighchopper

Postby raleighchopper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 pm

cp123 wrote:I have my brother's at home. I tried to resurrect it but nobody here knows how to adjust/fix a sturmey archer hub.
hi
if you mean inside the actual hub ,its a very complicated job ,back here we have to get a shop to do it .
but if you mean the fixings ,ie the little chain that goes in the hub ,i can get those ,
going to try and post some pics later ,
on the repco bike ive got, i dont think it is a sturmy archer hub

raleighchopper

Postby raleighchopper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 pm

heres some pics
anyone got any info
thanks lee

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Sturdy archer 3 speed hub was fitted to Raleigh commando, chopper and various other bikes.
Kept braking the selector chains but they were buttons,to,buy back in the 80's when I had mine and neighbour owned a bike shop so was easy to get them.
Even had a blue grifter, they wheelied really good !

As for that Repco thing, Murray used to do a very similar bike !

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 pm

I knew that style of frame as a dragster. Can't help much more than that.
I have a very similar frame waiting to be painted and rebuilt, had it since I was a the proper age to ride it. It was unmarked when I got it but I narrowed it down to a Repco model from some of the frame features - matching the pics of yours. The [url]http://www.retro-rollers.com/[url] might help.

This was a chopper:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:25 pm

That's a new one, the old ones had a T bar gear selector in middle of top tubes and seat was one piece. Headstem was different too.
Loved my chopper ! And my budgie. And my R11ws

Used to get a new bike every year as a kid, was only thing I played on ! :D
I'd wear them out by then no problem !
Last edited by wurtulla wabbit on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raleighchopper

Postby raleighchopper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:25 pm

bychosis wrote:I knew that style of frame as a dragster. Can't help much more than that.
I have a very similar frame waiting to be painted and rebuilt, had it since I was a the proper age to ride it. It was unmarked when I got it but I narrowed it down to a Repco model from some of the frame features - matching the pics of yours. The [url]http://www.retro-rollers.com/[url] might help.

This was a chopper:
thats a 2004 chopper
ive owned a few vintage ones
got a 1978

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 pm

raleighchopper wrote:
bychosis wrote:I knew that style of frame as a dragster. Can't help much more than that.

This was a chopper:
thats a 2004 chopper
ive owned a few vintage ones
got a 1978
Haha, the old burner...lets see, had a burner gs, aero pro burner (raced that one) had a tuff burner then a foxfire, a haro group 1 then a hutch pro star.
Remember musselburgh and Hawick in winter, muddy and cold as hell !

raleighchopper

Postby raleighchopper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:12 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:Sturdy archer 3 speed hub was fitted to Raleigh commando, chopper and various other bikes.
Kept braking the selector chains but they were buttons,to,buy back in the 80's when I had mine and neighbour owned a bike shop so was easy to get them.

you mention some nice burners ,they can bring good money
this is the grifter ive got at the mo ,
a 1982 super grifter

never heard off an australian grifter ,did they have them back in the day ?
seen pictures ov a new zealand grifter ,it was strange as it had a chopper seat fitted

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 am

raleighchopper wrote:Image

heres some pics
anyone got any info
thanks lee
Ahhh memories, :D one of those was my first "new" bike (in gold) after a dozen scratchers way back when. The hub and shifter were Suntour items, the brakes were good enough for really great skids and 180s and it came from under the tree with something like 15 reflectors including the ends of the rock hard plastic grips. The reflectors didn't last long, 5" monster on the rear of the seat excepted. The kickstand came off in the first year and by the end of the second year so had the banana seat, chainguard, mudguards, bars and slick tyres in favour of a standard saddle, mid rise MX bars and some knobbies. We went everywhere and did everything on two wheels a 10yo boy could think of. 8) I used to be able to bounce back from the multitude of stacks in an instant back then.

That bike also was the start of my hate, loath, detest attitude to bike thieves, after 4 wonderful years I was in the local milkbar getting a blue heaven and a pack of fags (the lolly kind) and some lowlife bust the lock and took her from me :(

Sorry about the ramble down memory singletrack RC, :oops: I hope you got something useful from it.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:43 am

raleighchopper wrote:
wurtulla wabbit wrote:Sturdy archer 3 speed hub was fitted to Raleigh commando, chopper and various other bikes.

you mention some nice burners ,they can bring good money
this is the grifter ive got at the mo ,
a 1982 super grifter

never heard off an australian grifter ,did they have them back in the day ?
seen pictures ov a new zealand grifter ,it was strange as it had a chopper seat fitted
Dunno, I am not Australian, I am Scottish ! ;)

My grifter was metallic blue With the glittery badge.
Lovely bike you have there.

raleighchopper

Postby raleighchopper » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:30 am

Mulger bill wrote:
raleighchopper wrote:Image

heres some pics
anyone got any info
thanks lee
Ahhh memories, :D one of those was my first "new" bike (in gold) after a dozen scratchers way back when. The hub and shifter were Suntour items, the brakes were good enough for really great skids and 180s and it came from under the tree with something like 15 reflectors including the ends of the rock hard plastic grips. The reflectors didn't last long, 5" monster on the rear of the seat excepted. The kickstand came off in the first year and by the end of the second year so had the banana seat, chainguard, mudguards, bars and slick tyres in favour of a standard saddle, mid rise MX bars and some knobbies. We went everywhere and did everything on two wheels a 10yo boy could think of. 8) I used to be able to bounce back from the multitude of stacks in an instant back then.

That bike also was the start of my hate, loath, detest attitude to bike thieves, after 4 wonderful years I was in the local milkbar getting a blue heaven and a pack of fags (the lolly kind) and some lowlife bust the lock and took her from me :(

Sorry about the ramble down memory singletrack RC, :oops: I hope you got something useful from it.

Shaun
great stories
thats what collecting vintage bikes is all about

still got the fleccys in the bar grips :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

raleighchopper

Postby raleighchopper » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:25 am

just found these old adverts
http://www.retro-rollers.com/t573f45-repco-pacer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its the right section or should they be in retro rides
please advise

Seventiesboy

Postby Seventiesboy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:05 pm

My '70s Repco Dragster!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Seventiesboy wrote:My '70s Repco Dragster!
need to get yourself into this thread: Sock Height
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.