Freighting your bicycle

jemo27

Freighting your bicycle

Postby jemo27 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:33 am

I'm looking at doing some train travel in Queensland for a few weeks and then doing some cycle touring aswell.

I'm wondering what other people experinces have been with freighting your bicyle somewhere?

who did you use to freight your bicycle?
what did it cost?
was it a good experince?

thanks

il padrone

Re: Freighting your bicycle

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:00 pm

I had to freight my bike from Oodnadatta to Melbourne a couple of years ago - too big to use Australia Post. Can't recall the name of the company, but it cost about $150-170 and took a week to arrive. Handling was excellent, no damage at all to the packaging or the bike. I did have to travel right across the city (40kms) to pick it up though.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Freighting your bicycle

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Depends on your plans I guess, but it may be cheaper to take the bike with you as baggage.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:05 am

I was going to say, what's wrong with taking the bike with you on board? It costs $12.50 to put it in the luggage compartment. You only have to take off the pedals and turn the handle bars.

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:34 am

I'm going to be changing trains over a four week period. Some that May not let me carry a bicycle.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Turn on the water works if they wont let you...

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 am

I got my bike on a train that wasn't supposed to let them on. I don't know if its because i am a woman. The woman on the train wasn't going to let me take it on but the man in charge allowed me. I think the station master spoke to him.

I really can't see there'd be a problem with putting your bike on the train but obviously the information you want can be more easily obtained by phoning the rail people.

Jemo i reckon if you included more info in your posts, people could give you more useful responses sooner and ask you less pointless questions or at least feel less tempted to ask you fewer questions. I noticed this with your other posts too. Your posts just make me want to ask for more info every time i read them.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:28 pm

If any of that train travel is in NSW then taking the bike with you would be a hassle - $12 for each journey, a max. of 5 bikes per service, it must be booked in advance, and your bike must be boxed with front wheel and pedals removed.
Mandatory helmet law?

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:55 pm

They make it easy over there.

V17L

Postby V17L » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:22 pm

G'Day, from memory I think greyhound will freight a bike anywhere in Australia, one depot to another, for $95. Worth checking if this is still available.
cheers
steve
Giant Defy 1

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:05 am

V17L wrote:G'Day, from memory I think greyhound will freight a bike anywhere in Australia, one depot to another, for $95. Worth checking if this is still available.
cheers
steve
That would be about right and you will have to pull it apart and put it in a box of course.

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:53 pm

the Greyhound websites says that it is $90 per boxed bicyle any where in Australia to there depots.

anyone done this?

sounds reasonable and easy to do.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:05 pm

What are you worrying about? If it sounds reasonable to you, i can't understand your anxiety. Or aren't you australian?

V17L

Postby V17L » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:26 am

Hi Jemo
Yes, I had a bike sent from Melbourne to Alice. It was boxed up. i think they also charged me $15 to pick it up from a bike shop in melbourne and drop it off at the greyhound depot. This was an extra.

I remember ringing up to find out where it was with the tracking number.

Went down to the greyhound depot, and the baby was there all safe and sound.
cheers
steve
Giant Defy 1

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:29 am

V17L wrote:Hi Jemo
Yes, I had a bike sent from Melbourne to Alice. It was boxed up. i think they also charged me $15 to pick it up from a bike shop in melbourne and drop it off at the greyhound depot. This was an extra.

I remember ringing up to find out where it was with the tracking number.

Went down to the greyhound depot, and the baby was there all safe and sound.
cheers
steve
thanks Steve, thats what I was after personal experience

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:11 am

Trying to figure out the best way to get my bicycle from Adelaide to Perth Any suggestions?

Basically I'm catching the Indian Pacific to Kalgoorlie from Adelaide, then using local WA trains to get to Perth.
I can take a bicycle on the Indian Pacific but not on the WA train from Kalgoorlie.

Therefore, I either have to freight my bicycle from Kalgoorlie or Adelaide. The problem is that I am in Kalgoorlie on a weekend when freight services are limited from what I can find.

Sending from Adelaide the problem is that it could take a week to arrive.

Anyone got some suggestions?
I don't live in Adelaide or Perth

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:57 am

Use a courier... Will take a couple of days... Ive used transdirect... Door to door it's usually $60 to $70

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:52 pm

I take it that your bike will be boxed up, not in a soft travel bag? If not boxed and you wanted to ride from Kal to Merredin, halfway to Perth, there is the MerredinLink train on Mondays. Wednesdays, Fridays. I haven't tried this service as I couldn't get past the issue of max bike length. Might work for you however. Have fun in Kal and watch for double-gees.

If freighting instead do you have someone to send it to or an LBS that might help out?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:05 am

jemo27 wrote:Trying to figure out the best way to get my bicycle from Adelaide to Perth Any suggestions?

Basically I'm catching the Indian Pacific to Kalgoorlie from Adelaide, then using local WA trains to get to Perth.
I can take a bicycle on the Indian Pacific but not on the WA train from Kalgoorlie.
There's probably an obvious reason for this but I couldn't see it so I have to ask - why are you not staying on the Indian Pacific right through to Perth? Or if disembarking at Kalgoorlie for some reason, just board the next Indian Pacific service to get you through to Perth?
Mandatory helmet law?

festybiker

Postby festybiker » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:50 pm

I have just today arranged for a bike (LHT Disc) i purchased online to be shipped from Brisbane to Melbourne. I did this all over the phone as i live in Melbourne.

I rang a bike shop in Brisbane (close to where i purchased the bike), and asked if they could assist. The were happy to do so. All i had to do was get the bike to the shop.

Boxing up costs by shop and Freight with TNT to 1 hour north of Melbourne was $128.
I am expecting the bike either late this week or early next week.

Shall report back on the experience........after a little riding of course.

festybiker

Postby festybiker » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:15 am

So far, TNT have been appalling as a trasnport comapny. Estimated delivery was the 25th by 5PM. Unable to locate package, cannot tell me anything until after easter. Sad Face!