Moron Motorists #3

BigBadWOLF

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby BigBadWOLF » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks guys I will review the footage this arvo and see where to go from there.
Bruce you were not far from the incident in that photo, The incident was just in front of the weigh bridge before the cnr of Bourke and Bowden and there were two other cyclists pulled up at the lights behind me.
Kris..
Trek 7.3 - Daily Commute (Wolli Creek - City)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:41 pm

il padrone wrote:Taxis WILL stop to drop off or pick up passengers when and wherever they damn well please so I'd expect bike lanes disabled spots, loading zones, peoples driveways and right in the middle of St Kilda Rd to be treated similarly.
A slight edit for clarity there Pete, you'll have to look hard to find it :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Not being smart, but If you catch a cab in a one kay strip of path. Where do they let you off? Just stop in the middle of the road?
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:28 pm

outnabike wrote:Not being smart, but If you catch a cab in a one kay strip of path. Where do they let you off? Just stop in the middle of the road?
Pull into a driveway, pull into a side street, pull over on the actual road (I know Taxis have an exemption from 'No Stopping' zones in Sydney CBD, not sure if this covers other areas too)

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:37 pm

A couple of vids from this week.
I usually don't have many encounters whilst riding/driving, which is kinda lucky considering these examples.

Apologies for the video quality of this one. Low light and a dewy windscreen aren't real good for videos.

This one scared the bejesus outa me. There is a language warning in this, but it's only one word and kinda muffled. Sorry.

Kev.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 pm

Kev365428 wrote:This one scared the bejesus outa me. There is a language warning in this, but it's only one word and kinda muffled. Sorry.

Only 1 rude word ??? You showed a lot more restraint than I would have - that was awfully close.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:20 pm

outnabike wrote:Not being smart, but If you catch a cab in a one kay strip of path. Where do they let you off? Just stop in the middle of the road?
Paths of this type in Melbourne (Albert St, Swanston St, Fitzroy St. St Kilda) usually have car parking spaces alongside where they may stop. Even though some of these are clearways at certain times, taxis (and public buses)have an exemption from the no stopping rule that applies to other car drivers.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:27 pm

il padrone wrote:
Paths of this type in Melbourne (Albert St, Swanston St, Fitzroy St. St Kilda) usually have car parking spaces alongside where they may stop. Even though some of these are clearways at certain times, taxis (and public buses)have an exemption from the no stopping rule that applies to other car drivers.
Do they? Wish THEY knew that. The taxis during the clearways pretty much always park in the copenhagen bicycle lane in Albert Street (between the bollards meant to prevent cars from going in it), causing us to have to go around them. :roll:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Yep. Rule 176.

Unless this gives them some 'out' to park on the bike path :roll: But it'd apply to all drivers then.
Victorian Road Rules wrote:(1A) In subrule (1)—
road does not include a road related area.

Sub-rule (1) is:
Victorian Road Rules wrote:176 Stopping on a clearway
(1) A driver must not stop on a length of road to which a clearway sign applies, unless the driver is driving a public bus, public minibus or taxi and is dropping off, or picking up, passengers.
Penalty: 3 penalty units.
Mandatory helmet law?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Well, other drivers certainly don't know that rule as they regularly honk taxis doing that exact thing. I may have been guilty of honking a taxi parking in a clearway to pick up or let off passengers once or twice. :oops:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:46 pm

find_bruce wrote:Only 1 rude word ??? You showed a lot more restraint than I would have - that was awfully close.
+ 1. That really needs a formal response.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Aushiker wrote:
find_bruce wrote:Only 1 rude word ??? You showed a lot more restraint than I would have - that was awfully close.
+ 1. That really needs a formal response.
+1 again.

Did you get the driver's rego details? Video of the plate?
Mandatory helmet law?

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Nah, I think it was an honest mistake. Didn't get his plate.

I did refrain from really flying off the handle as he had a 5-6 y.o. girl in the car.
No need to frighten the younger generation into thinking we are all cranky, scary cyclists.

Kev.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:39 pm

+42 to the power of infinity minus 1.
Pucker factor off the clock :shock:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:06 pm

If that was me I'd have to sell the bike to pay off the sware jar.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:07 pm

To the [self-censored] [self-censored] motorist who decided it would be a good idea to illegally drive into the copenhagen bicycle lane on Albert Street with the intention of illegally parking and without looking - YOU MISSED ME BY CENTIMETRES.

If I had my GoPro that would be going straight to the police. As it is I am so riled up I've already lodged a complaint with the City of Melbourne regarding that bicycle lane and am wondering whether it is worth it to go to the police, even without video evidence.

And yes, I have his licence plate details.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Audi SUV fails to give way to cyclist behind me (can't believe he couldn't see him due to lane positioning and long sleeve fluoro jersey), then honks horn at me on the way past.

Note commentary from pedestrians at the end ;)

Edit: Got to say, ever since this video things have been good and there's been lots of really good motorist behaviour on the road, shame about my fellow cyclists :roll: There, I've done it, tomorrow a bus is going to get me.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:11 pm

InTheWoods wrote:...then honks horn at me on the way past.
Yours is bigger than his... :wink:
London Boy 29/12/2011

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Having held out for so long, here's my first contribution to this thread:

I reported it to the police and he was issued a formal warning.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:24 pm

Summernight wrote:Well, other drivers certainly don't know that rule as they regularly honk taxis doing that exact thing. I may have been guilty of honking a taxi parking in a clearway to pick up or let off passengers once or twice. :oops:
You amaze me? Really? Imagine if you can my shock?

(this is me showing friendly sarcasm... dont take it too much to heart, I can do ruthless uncaring vicious sarcasm.. this is not it. )

I have told plod to go away and procreate before now when he has not known that rule back when I was driving cabs. And ignored tooting from the silly very very often. The one that amused me most was the one who wound up and rammed my XC foulcan. Because I was parked behind her and would not back up to let her leave the cab rank. With her 120y. Worked poorly. :D

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:17 pm

Kev365428 wrote:Nah, I think it was an honest mistake. Didn't get his plate.

I did refrain from really flying off the handle as he had a 5-6 y.o. girl in the car.
No need to frighten the younger generation into thinking we are all cranky, scary cyclists.

Kev.
That wasn't a mistake, that was a SMIDY of the worst sort where had you not taken evasive action you would have ended up as a pancake. Sheer good luck that they stopped before hitting you and the driver should have looked before entering the roundabout. I swear sometimes that car drivers look completely through cyclists as we don't register as another "vehicle" to them. It is all too much for some driver's limited grey matter. Did the driver look at you with a dopey bewildered expression on their face?

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:59 pm

Kev.
I gotta say I disagree with this.

I agree you don't need to fly off the handle. However, the driver clearly was not paying enough attention and if this is the cavalier way he drives he should not have a licence and certainly should not be allowed to ferry children around. Imagine if you had not anticipated his actions and had been injured or worse, that could mean a child without a parent, a spouse now a widow or widower, a family with a permanently injured member. I'm sorry, but you don't get to make mistakes like that, honest or not, when you are in control of a couple of tonnes of motor vehicle. It is completely unacceptable to claim you did not see another vehicle, you need to concentrate enough so you do see other vehicles.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 am

InTheWoods wrote:Audi SUV fails to give way....

Huh! Audi driver. No surprise there! I wonder why it is that they are so often prats of the worst order??
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:14 am

Rhubarb wrote:Having held out for so long, here's my first contribution to this thread:

I reported it to the police and he was issued a formal warning.
He was sooo jealous of you because your Mango is worth more than his car (clapped out Mitzu) :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:45 am

DavidS wrote:

Kev.
I gotta say I disagree with this.

I agree you don't need to fly off the handle. However, the driver clearly was not paying enough attention and if this is the cavalier way he drives he should not have a licence and certainly should not be allowed to ferry children around. Imagine if you had not anticipated his actions and had been injured or worse, that could mean a child without a parent, a spouse now a widow or widower, a family with a permanently injured member. I'm sorry, but you don't get to make mistakes like that, honest or not, when you are in control of a couple of tonnes of motor vehicle. It is completely unacceptable to claim you did not see another vehicle, you need to concentrate enough so you do see other vehicles.

DS
Tell me - what's it like to be perfect?

As you were not there, and did not see the drivers reaction when he realised his mistake, I don't think you are in any position to question my comments on the matter.

Kev.